Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by henri View Post
    WD40 ? Kindly elaborate please
    Collection of latents denied; swabbing precluded. Fast, easy, use wide spray version. Most forensic guys, upon recognizing the smell, instantly know itíll be a shit show.

WD40 works great when you spray people in the face with it too

This would be a good class and one I’d like to take. It’s different when the discussion isn’t based on theoretical experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    This would be a good class and one I’d like to take. It’s different when the discussion isn’t based on theoretical experience.

Oh the memories.....
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

We are discussing clothing and preconceived appearance.

Head to your local goodwill and check the racks.

I’m sure you will find a dominoes shirt, a jiffylube with a tag that reads “mike” , probably a ups, Dhl, or fed ex shirt, as well as probably half a dozen local utility providers ( electric, cable, dish, water)

We have done takedowns in an ambulance ( once, the medics didn’t want the dopers to get the wrong idea) , a horse trailer, a uhaul truck, a county dump truck, a homie SUV borrowed from another agencies seizure pool, etc.

Think about how while maybe not “local”, is the “uniform” accepted? How many hood rats have had their electricity or cable or water shutoff or turned back on.

I brought what was otherwise going to be a tricky takedown together by sneaking up and disconnecting the guys power while he was watching the game ( trailer house). Dude came out cussing to check his power box and right into our arms ( denying him access to the things we were concerned about )
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

The thing many are assuming is the chance to prepare. That MAY be there...but it may also not be. Consider that preparation may take many forms...but is proactive. How will you adapt when you didnt plan...when you find yourself in the situation and must adapt?
    Gabriel Suarez

I have never done any spook type stuff, but I will give this a go.

When you need to do an "on the fly" type change, it seems to me that in addition to some type of clothing change, a radical change of attitude is in order. One minute you are walking down the street as John Q. Citizen and after things go south, you need to put on a whole new persona along with a hoodie, hat, etc. Can you imagine Jeff Cooper trying to pull off this type of disguise without a mental shift of some sort? We have all known people who, once they entered the room, everyone knew who was in charge. I don't think think that an alpha dog demeanor would be in order in an E&E type situation.

If I am missing something in the overall concept of this discussion, please set me straight and don't worry about my feelings. They died years ago.

Cooper was an amazing leader...and a personal friend. I had another friend that worked for a Surveillance and Apprehension unit in SoCal. They were called an assasination squad by their own agency. I tried to learn everything I could from him and his friends.

This guy could...by his posture and demeanor literally disappear into a crowd. He could act like a patrol supervisor...every bit as much a Cooper...whom he also knew. But in the next moment could be someone you didnt even notice.

This is ninja stuff to many...but put enough thought into it....
    Gabriel Suarez

Look up.

Most humans are programmed to look a few feet above them and down. They never look up.

With that, think in three dimensions. Can you climb the side of a building using drain pipe or piece of conduit? I have; it’s a great way to get to the other side of a large commercial building without walking around either side, great way to hide, great observation point, and more. Use the gloves you keep in your bag for hand protection and traction, this is one of several reasons I always have some relatively thin gloves with rubber in the grip for general use. Thin, dipped, cut-resistant gloves are the best for this.

If you can’t jump, grab, and pull yourself up an exterior roof access ladder you need to look harder at your workout methods. Learn to use the wall to jump higher. They routinely lock the underside with a grate but the structure itself is climbable and the openings typically large enough to squeeze into to use the ladder once you’re up there. There are some more details and features involved that I’ll leave offline.

Gloves: They’ve been mentioned, but gloves. Consider different ways you may be using the gloves, and all of your “grab and go” gloves should have some cut protection. If you have ones thin and tight enough to accomplish fine tasks, you don’t ever have to take them off.

For the unplanned event:

Demeanor (already discussed) is significant. Some people can't pull it off, but if you can then do that.

I'll offer a simple hardware solution: consider your undershirt. This is wardrobe dependent, so it won't work for everyone. I personally never wear just a T-shirt unless I am working out. I always have on a button-down shirt, a sweater, or some kind of outer garment. It's not even related to formality; it's just how I prefer to dress. A bonus of that is that I can always peel off my outer layer and expose just the T-shirt. When I'm suited up, the undershirts are always plain, white tees. But when I'm in more casual attire, the shirts are often colored, sometimes printed, and could just as easily be outerwear. If I peeled off my button-down and just untucked the T-shirt, it would immediately change my clothing description. If you plan for it when you get dressed in the morning, you can easily add a "disguise layer" as part of your normal attire.

I have a tendency to wear sunglasses everywhere. I think of them as safety gear, so I still grab them on rainy days. I'm not sure that putting sunglasses on after an event would help the disguise, but taking them off might.

Don't wear easily-identifiable, unique items of clothing that you can't quickly ditch. Mostly this means pants and shoes. If you are wearing bright yellow shoes, that is likely to be included in the description given to police. And it won't be easy to quickly switch up your shoes.

A unique accessory, on the other hand, might easily be ditched. If you wear a fedora, that's definitely going out in the BOLO. (It's probably also going to cause the responding cops to wonder whether you've got a Thompson.) Ditching a hat is easy. There are a few catches, though. They'll likely find the hat, and the hat will have your DNA on it. Also, if you routinely wear a fedora, it might increase the odds that police manage to identify you through a snitch. Somebody who knows you from work will see the security footage on the news and say, "Hey, I know that guy. He works on the 5th floor." And then he rats you out.

And an odd bit of trivia: the single most common shoe imprint in the world is the Nike Air Force One. That sole design is used on multiple shoes. If the cops find footprints, but those are the soles, it's the equivalent of a white panel van. Even if they prove that the prints match your shoes, they also match a million other shoes in the same city, so their evidentiary value is highly diminished.
    Virtute et Armis