Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AVOID THIS ONE BATMAN

This is a tough one...filed under the "Anyone can be gotten" box. I have a few ideas... but lets hear from the tribe.

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2021...re-clerk-face/
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Damn. Thankfully that POS had poor aim and the clerk made it (at least for now).

As you said, anyone can be got.

BUT.

The clerk didn’t appear to me to be paying that close of attention (appeared to be looking away even as the guy was in the window). He wouldn’t have had much more time even if he had been, but in that role, damn man you have to be paying attention and AT LEAST looking at people.

Physically, this is where the get off the X movement and practice of the kata pay off. Even behind the curve, with building that habit it can get your mind and body into gear and get things moving. A moving target is hard to hit. Apparently the clerk was grazed so even a bit if movement could have avoided injury altogether. And even if you get hit, it doesn’t mean you are out of the fight.

I have spoken before about the lag between recognizing a threat, between deciding to act, and a lag between the decision and actually carrying out that decision. Practice of the kata and practice against partners will cut down that lag and improve your reaction times. That stuff saves lives. This clerk lived but it was only by luck. Just as it was bad luck to be attacked like this.

also. Per the other thread…there are times a threat can be recognized by feeling the bad guy’s intent. Times the spidey sense is set off. Honestly watching the video only twice I didn’t see that intent, even knowing it was coming. But being the focus of that intent is different. Can’t help but think that if one of us had been there that a hint of intent would have been felt.

But, yeah. One second of inattention and even the best of us can get pasted like this. Shitty deal.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

That's a tough one. My brain tends to switch to the Victor, what he did right and how can I use it. In this case, ironically he performed well at deception, which is something I've been trying to learn/work on.

I just think this example is proof of concept.
    “All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.”
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

I agree, anyone can be had, the color code people will disagree. The gunman had a pretty slick plan, but execution was off.

My thoughts are based on the unarmed clerk scenario.

From the video it looks like the gunman's approach scenario is to come up to the counter, lean forward and mull over the lottery scratchers. This gives him legitimacy for closing distance, while appearing benign by taking his eyes off his victim (discussed in another thread). If he had been more patient he would have said, "Give me two of those scratchers right there". At that, the clerk would lean forward (the two would be almost nose to nose) and reach under the counter for the scratchers. It would have been a contact face shot. But, the gunman was impatient.

A skilled assailant will create what appears to be a legitimate reason for closing distance to his intended victim and will have a prepared reason for the victim to move their attention to other matters.

This is a matter of being able to see through the facade and size up the real situation.
    Last edited by Cacti Rat; 12-10-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Yes, anybody can certainly be got. We’ve discussed it here many times about being deliberate. Guys like Richard Kuklinski were successful killers not because they practiced all the time like we do, but because nothing was said as he approached his targets pulled a .38 snub nose out of his coat pocket pointed and pulled the trigger at close range. I agree with Brent about knowing and being skillful at getting off the X. Paying attention is critical, and of course you can’t be switched on all day every minute. But homeboy walked in with the gun in his hand. This is also reason to make sure your game plan is to have a plan and MOVE if someone sticks a gun in your face, as most people’s reaction is to stick their hands in the air. By moving you upset their OODA loop and by having skill you can capitalize on that opportunity.

Dirt Bag walked in with the gun in his left hand behind his hip, then low below the counter as he leaned in.I doubt the clerk was ever in position to to get a clear look at the DB as he walked in.Wish there was audio...DB "may" have distracted clerk with a question....clerk looks to his left....game on.
    Many are able, few are willing .

Dirty is exactly why you are here.

Be ready and willing for the unthinkable.

NV28

RGF,PSP,ACRG x 2,CRG x 2
    Intro PS Basics,Def Knife
    HITS-7 Vehicle Gunfighting Fundamentals
    TASI,CRG-3,M4 RGF
    Red Dot Pistol in S.A. Tx.
    Suarez Pistol Gunfighting School 10/13-15/2017 Houston, Texas.
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School ,Mar 6-8-2020,Orange Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    This is a tough one...filed under the "Anyone can be gotten" box. I have a few ideas... but lets hear from the tribe.

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2021...re-clerk-face/
    As far as what to do....

Of course if you have a gun, we all know what to do, move and shoot.

But if the story line is you don't have a gun or knife. As a clerk, I would have something near by that belongs in the store that can be used as an impact weapon. Taking care of the gunman with blunt force to the back of the neck as he wallows over the counter like an elephant seal should do the job.

Another observation is that the gunman isn't a fighter. He seems to be a guy who always prevailed by size and weight. Guys like him have weak legs and are slow. Take him out at the knee, he'll drop. A good pair of boots will insure he doesn't get back up.

Every situation is different, my thoughts are based on this specific one.
    Last edited by Cacti Rat; 12-10-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Default Back to the well.....

Back to well.So according to the to the article.

1) The incident occurred around 9:30 p.m. at the 8600 block of Memorial Drive in Houston.

2) Police say the clerk had just walked back into the gas station after moving his vehicle when the suspect arrived in a two-door black Mercedes Benz.

3) Assuming the clerk is flying solo between sun down and sun up.

4) Assuming clerk never had eyes on DB as he walked in..." gun in left hand or a hidden left hand".

1 thru 4 above equals Condition White.....behind the curve and in a hurry to get to the cash register.

Also the possibility the location is the Shell or Exxon stop and rob.Corporate/Franchisee policy may include a no weapons policy for employees.

The intersection location has miles of SFR,MFR to the west and Memorial Park to the east with easy access to 610 loop and other freeways......

While decades old, in another life.....I got history in this area.
    Many are able, few are willing .

Dirty is exactly why you are here.

Be ready and willing for the unthinkable.

NV28

RGF,PSP,ACRG x 2,CRG x 2
    Intro PS Basics,Def Knife
    HITS-7 Vehicle Gunfighting Fundamentals
    TASI,CRG-3,M4 RGF
    Red Dot Pistol in S.A. Tx.
    Suarez Pistol Gunfighting School 10/13-15/2017 Houston, Texas.
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School ,Mar 6-8-2020,Orange Tx.

The weapon looks to be a smaller caliber
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    The weapon looks to be a smaller caliber
    I may be wrong, but doesn't it look like he threw it at the clerk.