Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    I figured you were probably thinking of the single stack 36 maybe. (For those who don't know, for a number of years people were using a 36 slide on a 30 frame for a smaller and lighter package than the 30 but more capacity than the 36. Glock finally built it and called it the 30S.)
    Indeed. I remember people touting that as the ultimate ccw .45 and not seeing it as a huge improvement. I kept carrying my 30 without issue.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    This is not really correct across the board.

In very general terms:
    Light & fast penetrates better through hard materials like plate steel, glass, ceramic etc.
    Heavy & slow penetrates better through meat and most clothing materials.

But it's more complex than that with modern bullets, in any of the above cartridges you can find ammo that penetrates less or more. Choose wisely.

Regardless, I fully support the idea of getting a .45 if a guy wants a .45; as Gabe says, it's about want, not need.
    You know, I don't think we gave the .41 AE enough of a chance...

Unless you find yourself being attacked by someone in multiple layers of leather the minor difference in most fighting handgun calibers won't matter. If you find yourself seeking someone in multiple layers of leather I wish you luck.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by mcdxd View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. Would really like to hear from anyone that can comment on a comparison between the G30S and the heavier, wider slide of the G30. Want to know whether the gains of weight savings and narrower profile of the G30S is worth any losses to the shootability of the regular G30 platform.
    An article I wrote in 2013 has details comparing the two pistols that I believe will be helpful to you: The New Glock 30S - Pros and Cons

Thanks for all the replies, gentlemen. It appears that I am going to have to get my hands on both to make a decision, but the commentary has been very useful.
    Take what you can. Give nothing back!

North Carolina DOJ Handgun Instructor
    Close Range Gunfighting 1
    Extreme Close Range Gunfighting
    Private Instruction with Randy Harris

GRT45, that was a great, informative, well written article. It did help sway me in a direction!
    Take what you can. Give nothing back!

North Carolina DOJ Handgun Instructor
    Close Range Gunfighting 1
    Extreme Close Range Gunfighting
    Private Instruction with Randy Harris

MCDXD, I have a pretty significant amount of time carrying the G30 but not the 30S. Before I pretty well settled on 9mm for full time carry in about 2005 I would carry the 357sig 9 months out of the year and the G30 in the winter months and then shoot most matches with a glock 34....not exactly efficient with regards to training time.... Then I finally decided to streamline my training time and carry the 34 all the time.

In my opinion the bulk of the G30 slide is part of what makes it so pleasant to shoot. My only real complaint with it is that mine is the older (had it since 1997) fatter grip, not the SF or Gen 4 with thinner grip. As far as accuracy goes I shot an egg at 10 yards in a match once with it from concealment in 2 seconds flat (call me and I'll tell you the story) . That is eye socket accuracy at 10 yards at speed with a "compact carry gun" and Massad Ayoob has written more than once that the most accurate glock might be the 30.

If I were trapped behind enemy lines in a communist state that had a mag capacity limit I might be tempted to roll with the G30 but thankfully I only frequent free states. As far as holsters go you would most likely have to get a holster made for a 30S because I doubt you'll find many in gun stores or big box stores. The usual suspects in the holster business can make one for you but the G30 has been around long enough that holsters for it are easier to find. When I was carrying it regularly, I carried it in a Mitch Rosen UPL (Upper Limit) and a spare G21 mag and Surefire 6P in a Rosen SOS (Speir Off-Side) mag and flashlight holder and a G27 or G33 as a backup.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

But give me my word that I bring this up only to further the conversation and not to be an intentional smartass...

This talk of multiple layers of leather....or body armor.... Or even ballistic helmets...

Here is my dime....

Is his FACE wearing body armor ( or leather or whatever)?

Is his pelvic girdle wearing body armor? Are his thighs wearing body armor (femoral artery)?

Put a shit ton of rounds on what you can get too.... Whatever that is.

With all that said, OLD SCHOOL author Peter Capstick makes a very strong case for heavy, relatively slow ball ammo bullets for killing stuff deader than hell.

It is contained in his book SAFARI published 30-40 years ago or so. I will not attempt to replicate his argument, I only ask that you might consider reading the chapter entitled "A solid suggestion". It is worth your time.

I can call me crazy until they're crows come home, but since I read that 15 years ago I've been carrying ball ammo in my weapons for self-defense purposes.

By the way, I am not saying anyone else is wrong about this at all. We all make our own decisions and then face the consequences of those decisions. Big boy rules. Just talking about how I roll that's all.

I like 45, but I also like 9mm 124 NATO ball and 147 gr for suppressed use.

Your carnage may vary

Stay dangerous my friends

Jake
    Wait for the Lord. Behave yourself manfully, and be of good courage.
    Do not be faithless, but stay in your place and do not turn back.
    Thomas Kempis

SSHHHHHHH!!!

Don't bring up the fact that the face is the new center of mass!
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Salyards View Post
    But give me my word that I bring this up only to further the conversation and not to be an intentional smartass...

This talk of multiple layers of leather....or body armor.... Or even ballistic helmets...

Here is my dime....

Is his FACE wearing body armor ( or leather or whatever)?

Is his pelvic girdle wearing body armor? Are his thighs wearing body armor (femoral artery)?

Put a shit ton of rounds on what you can get too.... Whatever that is.

With all that said, OLD SCHOOL author Peter Capstick makes a very strong case for heavy, relatively slow ball ammo bullets for killing stuff deader than hell.

It is contained in his book SAFARI published 30-40 years ago or so. I will not attempt to replicate his argument, I only ask that you might consider reading the chapter entitled "A solid suggestion". It is worth your time.

I can call me crazy until they're crows come home, but since I read that 15 years ago I've been carrying ball ammo in my weapons for self-defense purposes.

By the way, I am not saying anyone else is wrong about this at all. We all make our own decisions and then face the consequences of those decisions. Big boy rules. Just talking about how I roll that's all.

I like 45, but I also like 9mm 124 NATO ball and 147 gr for suppressed use.

Your carnage may vary

Stay dangerous my friends

Jake
    I don't think anyone else here is saying anything different than that. We've all known to "shoot them in the face" for a long time now.

However, that doesn't mean that we should remain ignorant of the nature of penetrating wounds, and understanding what might cause one bullet to penetrate more than another.