Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    As far as accuracy goes I shot an egg at 10 yards in a match once with it from concealment in 2 seconds flat (call me and I'll tell you the story) . That is eye socket accuracy at 10 yards at speed with a "compact carry gun" and Massad Ayoob has written more than once that the most accurate glock might be the 30.
    I will give you a ring sometime soon. Would like to hear that story and catch up. Thanks!
    Last edited by mcdxd; 11-17-2021 at 11:43 AM.
    Take what you can. Give nothing back!

North Carolina DOJ Handgun Instructor
    Close Range Gunfighting 1
    Extreme Close Range Gunfighting
    Private Instruction with Randy Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    I don't think anyone else here is saying anything different than that. We've all known to "shoot them in the face" for a long time now.

However, that doesn't mean that we should remain ignorant of the nature of penetrating wounds, and understanding what might cause one bullet to penetrate more than another.
    Agreed, of course. In order to use any tool to it's best effect we must learn to understand the tool.
    Wait for the Lord. Behave yourself manfully, and be of good courage.
    Do not be faithless, but stay in your place and do not turn back.
    Thomas Kempis

Jake, when it comes to Capstick recommending “solids”, I would keep his advice in context. I’ll admit I haven’t read Safari, but I have spent a lot of time with his Death In The *** books. When B’wana and Silent were out and about, whether with a .470 double or a .375 bolt, the 4-legged game they were after is built much differently than our urban 2-legged predators. Thick hides, substantial muscles, and dense bone structures would have easily defeated cup-and-core rifle bullets. When he speaks of “solids” I don’t believe he is referring a copper-covered lead FMJ, but instead a solid copper-alloy bullet similar in build to a Barnes TSX. A solid like that is exactly what’s needed to penetrate muscle, crush bone, and have enough energy to leave an exit wound so M’bogo can bleed out both sides. For use against people, I think something like a bonded Federal HST can give you the penetration you would like, with the added benefit of dumping most of it’s energy and destruction inside.

Thanks for bringing up Capstick. I’ve always appreciated his writing style. My copy of Death in the Dark Continent still contains my book report on it from freshman high-school English class.

To the OP, I wish I had input but the biggest change in my daily carry is when I occasionally switch from a 9mm Sig 229 to a 9mm G19.
    There comes a time in every man’s life when he is called upon to do something very special for which he and he alone has the capabilities, has the skills, and has the necessary training. What a pity if the moment finds the man unprepared. —Winston Churchill

The Glock 30S is just a tool. It’s a large 26 really. I choose caliber based on what’s issued to me or what’s available where I’m going. For LE .45 is in the downhill slope gaining speed, but we’re also realizing 9mm is only adequate at best under circumstances rarely always present. I’ve seen some agencies go from .45 to 9mm and they’re now looking at going back to .45; the ability to change back straps to customize the fit to female and small male officers has really mitigated a lot of the hesitancy that causes the 9mm shift anyways.

I’d consider where you’re going and what will be available. Years of death investigation has proven to me .45 FMJ is not ideal but absolutely adequate. The same experience has shown me 9mm FMJ is not adequate. One needs to take into consideration what is available if the ammunition isn’t issued.

I own a Glock 30 Gen 4 and Glock 30S. Both are excellent but the 30S is an ankle gun whereas the 30 couldn’t be. The 30 does things better than the 30S as well. Were I to have one it’d be the 30S.

It’s fallen from favor, but the 155 to 170 grain truncated come .40 FMJ, for whatever reason, was an very good combination of penetration and shock. I never paid much attention to .40 when I had the chance, but a .40 HK USP sure comes to mind sometimes as a good all around platform for everything.
    Last edited by JonathanNobody; 11-21-2021 at 03:30 PM.

The G30s Short Frame locks into my left hand’s grip much more solidly than does a Gen4 G19, which is important, as my left hand may become my new “strong” hand. I “slept on it” for one night, then returned and bought it. This prompted me to locate and try a Gen4 G30, which I found to fit me almost as well as the G30s SF, so, well, I bought it, too. This was a few months ago, when there was a brief period of good local availability of these, and a few other models of Glocks. Neither is a very good fit, in my right hand, but I no longer trust my aging, gimpy right hand to provide a reliably stable platform for compact auto-pistol functioning, anyway. (My right hand may become relegated to shooting only revolvers.)

Time will tell, whether either of these “compact” .45 ACP Glocks become dominant carry guns. It never really seemed more difficult to conceal a G17 than a G19, and the G30s and G30 are fairly close to G19 dimensions. (I traded-away my three Gen4 G19 pistols, in 2020, in favor of carrying G19x/G17 Glocks.)
    Have Colt, will travel.

I've owned and carried a G30 for years and love it. The gun is more accurate then i would ever be and works like a well oiled machine. Dependable and carries well.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    The Glock 30S is just a tool. It’s a large 26 really. ....
    I'm fascinated by the possibilities of the 30s. JonathanNobody's description as a large 26 is dead on, IMHO. Add an two-round magazine extension and it's a .45 caliber 19. Add a G20 magazine with a sleeve and it's a ... .45 G19x? Literally a .45 G45???? lol

So yeah, in my retired life I'm a 9mm guy -- once upon a time a 1911 .45 guy. I'm happy with my G43s and my G43x/48 rotations, but I'm keeping my G30s .. and my G41 and my G21 much for the same reasons I'm keeping my G23 and G27. 'Cuz it's good to have options -- especially when it comes to different ammunition availability and capabilities -- and to keep familiar.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 12-10-2021 at 08:11 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

30S is just a large 26 and easily ankle carried as backup to 41.

1F51AFC1-EAE5-46B1-AF73-E897E95E7850.jpg
    D078426B-6F6E-4362-94DD-3EAE9677C668.jpg