Thread: Mag Pul Bipod?

Default Mag Pul Bipod?

Anyone have any hands on time with a Mag Pul bipod? Considering adding one to a 10 bolt pistol.

I've got one on my M14. It works. Its not as ridged as the hardcore bipods but its also no where near as heavy.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Trying to decide the general usefulness. I’ve got a hand stop/barricade stop on it now, and shooting over bags works well. Not sure if a bipod is going to add unnecessary bulk, or if it will be more useful in the field.

Understandable. This past spring when I started considering bipods I spent a lot of time looking at terrain in urban, suburban and rural areas as well as lots of different surfaces inside different structures that could be good firing positions and decided it would be worth while to have one. It doesn't need to live on the rifle if you don't want it too. Most people say things like " I want the bipod to be as small as possible for when I go prone" and stuff like that. I liked the adjustability of the magpul for height because I saw tons of places where a higher bipod would be better. As an example people look at the bipods from WW1 and don't understand why they were so high because they don't consider that when shooting from a trench you don't want to sit up on top of it but be back a little further so you aren't as exposed. The slope of a hill or trench means you need a higher bipod so you can peek over the top.

When I was studying all the various terrain I saw a lot of similar features where a higher bipod would be ideal and let me do similar things. Something like a stepped retaining wall where the blocks are 7-10 inches thick you wouldn't want to set up on the top block but back off and have the bipod sit a level or two down to drop the overall silhouette and exposed body parts. When looking indoors I saw plenty of great places that had counters with a step around 8 inches or areas near windows where the height would be handy because you don't want to be the guy that sets up on the window sill and has their barrel or can hanging out the window lol.

I considered the use of a bag in these situations and if the bag was large enough it would work in a number of them and not so well in others since the rifle would sink in to the bag. Ultimately I decided the bipod would add enough flexibility to be in the pack or on the rifle. There could even be times when using the bipod and pack together is ideal.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I've been shooting NRL matches. They push you in finding expedite shooting positions and bipods are really useful. Watches some YouTube videos and you will see some unconventional uses. I have the mappul bipod. It's not as stable as the atlas but that is $300
    Last edited by GhostRidder; 11-07-2021 at 12:34 PM.

As an aside, I have added a small pic rail to the
    front bottom of all of my AR's, and I purchased 2
    pic rail mountable bipods. I can mount one any
    time I want, to any rifle without dedication.

But they are not Mapul. More Harris style.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.