Default Bought Dissipator upper from the store.... questions.

Alright, so I’ve had my eye on getting one of these since they went up on the store. Going to build a simple, functional 5.56 general purpose rifle out of it, and I want to do it right the first time, with minimal trial and error.

I’ve got a basic mil-spec DD bolt carrier group and Radian Raptor charging handle ready to drop in, so nothing fancy there.

It’s a rifle-length gas system with a 16” barrel, and I understand that setup can be finicky unless set up thoughtfully and optimally. So how does the Tribe recommend setting up a true Dissipator for maximum reliability?

- Receiver extensions: So far, I’m planning on setting up a lower using a VLTOR A5 receiver extension due to its (purported) reliability increase over a standard carbine extension. Is there anything wrong with that idea for this build, or should I just commit to a full rifle length extension? For that matter, is there anything wrong with just using a standard carbine extension on a true Dissy?

- Buffer weights and springs: I truly have no idea what the right way go in this area is, because there’s so much conflicting information out there. If I were building a standard rifle, a standard carbine, or even a mid-length, this would be self-evident, but again... I’m led to believe it may not be so simple with the short dwell time of a Dissipator.

- Is there anything else that I should factor in to make this as reliable as possible? Some basic thing I’m overlooking?

I’ve spent a lot of time scouring the Internet for every bit of information I can find about what makes these things run best, but there’s not a lot of specifics out there, and a lot of it is contradictory. In the end, it’s just easier to ask here, where I know I’ll get trustworthy answers from people who know what they’re talking about.
    - I am not in danger. I AM the danger.

- Keep your rifle by your side.

Have you pulled the handguard off to verify the gas system is rifle length?
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

I would say the A5 would be a significantly better choice than the rifle receiver extension. Gives you a broader range of buffer weight choices, all the while maintains the stroke of the rifle length buffer system, and allows you adjustable length of pull.

With the A5, you would use a rifle length spring. The Sprinco green spring is typically the choice here, though some have had good success with either the JP polished Rifle length spring, or the Tubb flat wire spring. The buffer weight really depends on the length of the gas system and size of the gas port in the barrel.

Reliability in the AR platform is multifaceted, but is typically dependent on a handful of problem areas: optimal gas drive, sufficient extractor spring strength, sufficient lubrication, and quality magazines. All of these areas can be optimized after the purchase, so don't over think it going in, given quality components to start with (properly spec'd upper, a quality BCG).

An area often overlooked by people insufficiently familiar with the AR platform is sufficient and proper lubrication. A good adage to remember here is: if it slides, grease it. If it rolls, oil it. Slip 2000 grease and Slip 2000 EWL 30 oil are excellent choices here. Something I like to do that noticeably smooths my action is to also light grease/oil the action spring before insertion.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

When you have your empty case ejecting out at the 3 to 3:30 position that is when you know you have it set properly.
    kato

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Have you pulled the handguard off to verify the gas system is rifle length?
    Negative, I just ordered it, but I don’t have it in my hands yet. Under the description in the store, it indicates a rifle-length gas system though.

Ask Shopmonkey, that’s what I do. If there is an issue he will recommend what to do with what parts are available....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Well, I just spent the past two days reading and learning more about what makes the AR system tick than I ever knew existed. I think I have a pretty good idea where the best place to start is (thanks in no small part to georgeib’s post above; thank you).

- I’ve decided on the VLTOR A5 extension tube with the spring and buffer (A5H2) that comes with their kit. Will switch out to their A5H1 or A5H0 buffer if the rifle short-strokes or ejects too far forward with that setup. Once the rifle locks back on an empty mag, and gives me consistent 3 to 4 o’clock ejection, I’ll make note of the setup, and leave it that way. I may try a Sprinco green spring at some point, but most people report being happy with the VLTOR spring. Only problem is, the A5 extension tube is sold out everywhere, so I picked up a full CavArms A1 stock kit to use until I can find an A5 extension in stock somewhere. From all accounts, it should work fine, but if not, at least I now possess the requisite knowledge to know what to alter to make it run.

And just in case, I did send a message to ShopMonkey.

Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post
    Well, I just spent the past two days reading and learning more about what makes the AR system tick than I ever knew existed. I think I have a pretty good idea where the best place to start is (thanks in no small part to georgeib’s post above; thank you).

- I’ve decided on the VLTOR A5 extension tube with the spring and buffer (A5H2) that comes with their kit. Will switch out to their A5H1 or A5H0 buffer if the rifle short-strokes or ejects too far forward with that setup. Once the rifle locks back on an empty mag, and gives me consistent 3 to 4 o’clock ejection, I’ll make note of the setup, and leave it that way. I may try a Sprinco green spring at some point, but most people report being happy with the VLTOR spring. Only problem is, the A5 extension tube is sold out everywhere, so I picked up a full CavArms A1 stock kit to use until I can find an A5 extension in stock somewhere. From all accounts, it should work fine, but if not, at least I now possess the requisite knowledge to know what to alter to make it run.

And just in case, I did send a message to ShopMonkey.
    Just FYI, both Magpul and BCM also make A5 length buffer tubes.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther