Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Judo

Judo is a martial art that was taken from what was taught by various clans and such and standardized and made into a sport. The kicks and punches mostly removed from it and the joint techniques made less painful.
    But you still are throwing bodies to the ground and all of the instructors that I knew seemed to have had a knee injury. The worst I ever saw was a broken collar bone. My instructor was japanese and had been a member of a college team in Japan. While in the equivalent of high school he had studied some other related japaense art that he called jiujutsu that he described as kicks and punches while wearing some sort of armor. From his age this would have been late 40's and early 50's. The stance he showed was very different and seemed more like pictures of some sorts of temple boxing that I have seen.
    I have the wrong build for judo and there was only one throw that i could do well: Tai Otoshi the body drop. I was also good at strangling/choking and our instructor allowed that. I am not sure if all judo places allow it.
    Remember to not completely rely on using the gee for your throws. I know of shirts being ripped off in a street fight and someone getting punched hard in the mouth.

As already stated learn how to prevent yourself from being thrown and learn how to handle yourself if you go down.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 10-24-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Great. Now add in some jiu jitsu for after you hit the ground.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    Great. Now add in some jiu jitsu for after you hit the ground.

This, in my opinion, is overstated… A good Judo school will spend appropriate time on newaza. Beyond that, in a street confrontation I’ve yet to see anything used that was above a blue belt level. I’m not saying that BJJ isn’t worth the time, just that from a non-sportive standpoint it isn’t necessary if the Judo school one trains at doesn’t neglect half the art it teaches.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

My favorite art I ever studied. And it was cheap! Greensboro, NC Leonard Center circa 2003 or 2004. Instructor was a former German (I think but maybe Belgian) Olympian and it was a good group of guys. Wife and I moved and I intended to resume in new city but promotion took more time for training. I have forgotten all the Japanese names but we drilled this inside trip where opponent moves the leg away and you foot sweep his other leg. A visiting Brown belt from TX got paired with me the next practice and I nailed him with it in randori and was awarded my next belt the class after! One of my middle school sons wrestles and I have shown him so many foot sweeps but he rarely attempts them. They are harder with grippy wrestling boots but you just have to kick a little harder and time your off balancing accurately. They are also low risk, meaning if you attempt and fail you are rarely do out of position that you get thrown. I wish I had found it before age 28-29 and wish I had stayed with it longer. I liked it way better than BJJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    This, in my opinion, is overstated… A good Judo school will spend appropriate time on newaza. Beyond that, in a street confrontation I’ve yet to see anything used that was above a blue belt level. I’m not saying that BJJ isn’t worth the time, just that from a non-sportive standpoint it isn’t necessary if the Judo school one trains at doesn’t neglect half the art it teaches.
    Not sure if this is typical, good, or bad, but we spend about half our time on the ground. In fact all of our randori has been on the ground since I started.

So we start with a brief warm up, we practice throws, we learn / review a ground technique, then we spar on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    Not sure if this is typical, good, or bad, but we spend about half our time on the ground. In fact all of our randori has been on the ground since I started.

So we start with a brief warm up, we practice throws, we learn / review a ground technique, then we spar on the ground.
    This is a good thing. You don’t need a bunch of submission training, but ground movement, fighting for position, avoiding being pinned, this is all very useful.

Start thinking about how weapons would change it.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

OK its been a Coons age since I rolled with a Judoka, so Brent is going to probably rap me on the knuckles for not remembering the techniques term. I will just call it a "knee drop" . You can go high/low or high/high on the Gi (or any tough outer garment) , you twist in going butts to nuts (your butt) while dropping to your knees at the same time.

It results in a VERY tight throw bringing the opponent straight down on their back (the point of Judo really) and done well is hard to defend against........................

If you happen to be 6'3" and rolling with a Judoka with a decade more experience than you who is 5'4" this results in their knees ending up behind your heels before the throw is complete, literally pulling you through your own legs at the completion of the throw..... ask me how I know ;)

I did find it to be a GREAT throw in confined places (hallways etc.) as it requires almost no side space, and the overhead space doesnt need to be too high, finish with a Gi choke and bobs youre uncle.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

No knuckle wrapping, I can’t remember all the names.

The Japanese probably have a different name for it. But sounds like “knee drop seoi nage”.

This one is knee drop ippon seoi nage. The grip is a lot easier and doesn’t require a gi.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Here is a demonstration of Aikido vs some school of Jujitsu

Judo and and Aikijutsu/Aikido are just derivatives* of older Jujutsu. Different emphasis and different ideas but ultimately it’s the same dish, just different seasonings.

Some dishes have more bullshit than others.

*Derivative is not to imply poor in this case, merely that Jujutsu goes back much further and many things evolved out of it. Good, bad and indifferent.

This vs that is not what that vid was about, contrary to its title. It was a jujutsu guy getting to show off his skills against a compliant aikido guy. Which is fine, it was entertaining and both guys move very well and are very skilled at dojo demo stuff. The aikido guy is very good at taking ukemi (being a compliant training partner).
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes: