Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to Judo

Looks not completely different from chinese and japanese martial arts. I suspect it is derived from extinct pre-muslim Buddhist and maybe Hindu monasteries as are a lot of the far eastern martial arts.

Silat (Jawi:سيلت) is a Malay Archipelago indigenous martial art from the Malay Peninsula It is traditionally practiced in Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia,

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    This, in my opinion, is overstatedÖ A good Judo school will spend appropriate time on newaza. Beyond that, in a street confrontation Iíve yet to see anything used that was above a blue belt level. Iím not saying that BJJ isnít worth the time, just that from a non-sportive standpoint it isnít necessary if the Judo school one trains at doesnít neglect half the art it teaches.
    Around here, most judo classes are geared at supplementing BJJ, not the other way around.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    Around here, most judo classes are geared at supplementing BJJ, not the other way around.
    I think this is common today. A lot of modern Judo is very competition focused and is mostly stand-up today.

But Shooter76 was right, if the Judo school teaches the complete curriculum, it should cover ground work comprehensively.

But I think that it’s pretty safe to a lot, if not most, Judo schools are way more focused on stand up. Just as I think it’s fair to say many BJJ schools are far more focused on ground work (though I know that at least some have incorporated more stand up work).
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Learned muni gatame and kesa gatame last week, and how to transition between them. We touched on both the week prior but spent more time on both last week.

After that I spent a lot of time getting my ass handed to me.

During groundwork we spent the last 15 minutes of class doing a new drill.

Myself and the other white belt started on the bottom with one of the higher belts putting us in muni or kesa gatame. A 5 minute timer was set. Our objective was to at least not get submitted for the 5 minutes. Alternatively we could "win" by putting the other person in muni or kesa gatame since we haven't been taught any chokes or arm bars yet.

After our win (or loss), reset and a different higher belt starts the same thing until 5 minutes was over.

Next we set a new timer, and this time we started on top putting the higher belt in muni or kesa gatame with the objective to keep them there for 5 minutes. Again, if they escaped, our objective was to not be submitted. And if we were, rinse and repeat.

And last time was same as first round.

15 minutes doesn't sound like much but it was no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I think this is common today. A lot of modern Judo is very competition focused and is mostly stand-up today.

But Shooter76 was right, if the Judo school teaches the complete curriculum, it should cover ground work comprehensively.

But I think that itís pretty safe to a lot, if not most, Judo schools are way more focused on stand up. Just as I think itís fair to say many BJJ schools are far more focused on ground work (though I know that at least some have incorporated more stand up work).
    My BJJ school and training routine/schedule is 1/3 standup, and starting from standing for sparring is not discouraged.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO