Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSellecksMoustache View Post
    You guys and your Gucci bullshit. Get on that Sharps wagon son! Slow is fast and fast is relative!Attachment 61977
    Simmer down there Quigley.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Simmer down there Quigley.
    I only simmer up. Like an unsupervised pot of boiling water. Or something...

Okay, I've had my silly fun, now to actually contribute something. It seems to me that you're trying to build two different guns in one, which generally ends up compromising the best of both. General overwatch in a target rich, relatively close environment, and the ability to switch to a "oh shit everything is on fire and my pants are wet, where the fuck is the next piece of cover", and let's poke holes in assholes from 1200 meters, while not necessarily mutually exclusive, generally aren't going to make for one cohesive platform. Additionally, your typical assault rifle, whether you're talking M4, 416, Mk18, or God help us all, the bounce house known as the SCAR platform, isn't really designed for making shot after shot past 4-500... Will they do it, absolutely, but that's not the intended purpose for an assault rifle. There's a reason DMR rifles, SPR rifles, and various sniper systems were developed, and that's to fill that gap. If you're looking to build a platform that will fill a street to street fight role, and an overwatch role, you're gonna have to compromise a bit. Something along the lines of a 16 inch AR10, wearing some lower powered glass, with either an offset red dot or iron sights, will probably serve you best, in my opinion. It's short enough that you can wander into a building and not snag the barrel on every doorway you go through, and with some good match ammo or handloads, still stay accurate out to 1000 yards. If you need to take shots past that, get a bolt gun, and carry something neat as a backup. May I suggest Claymore mines?

Quote Originally Posted by TomSellecksMoustache View Post
    Something along the lines of a 16 inch AR10, wearing some lower powered glass
    Indeed. It works; I have done it with a buddies LMT with a Nightforce 1-8 and my own loads.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

I hesitated to comment, since I don't have much interest in playing make-believe guerilla overwatch commando ninja or whatever (just poking a little fun at ya OP, sorta), but for me I've always been interested in a much simpler question: How much range can I cover with the lightest and most portable rifle?

Obviously the answer to that changes depending on what a person wants at the moment, and on other priorities like ammo supply. For example, the AR15 platform can be made really light and portable, but can we do better than ~750 yards with one? Yes, with cartridges like the 6 ARC, absolutely, if the whole "battlefield pickup" thing isn't a concern. (For me it's barely a passing thought.) Regardless, I've ended up with a few really good setups with that mindset.

- A 9-10 lb 6.5 Creed bolt gun has a lot of utility, without being so heavy that it's not portable or so light it's not reliable at distance. Earlier this summer I got my 13 yo son behind that rifle and he made some good hits at 1260 yards. It's a good setup and only a pound or two heavier than a common hunting rifle.

- Several different AR15 lengths from folding backpack size to 10 lb 24" rifle in 6.5 Grendel and a predecessor to the 6mm ARC. The Grendel is great in a 12" AR and can still make effective hits at 800+ yards in that size rifle, while hitting a lot harder than a 5.56. The 6mm flavor of the same case (the ARC) extends that range out past 1,000 in the same size package, and IMO is probably the #1 choice in a 0-1,000 yard AR right now, at least as far as capability. Ammo supply is a different story, so bring enough.

- The 308 AR plays second fiddle (at best) to the above, IMHO. I've still got one, had several, and like them, but they are big and bulky even if they're built light weight, and tuning them correctly is more technical than the AR15 and a lot of people struggle to get them right. It can be done of course, and I'm happy to help if someone on the forum is struggling, but it's not as simple, or IMO as reliable, as slapping together a box of standard AR15 parts. They're also harder to shoot accurately than either a 308 bolt action or an AR15 in any caliber. They have their place of course and YMMV.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

Just some random thoughts from a guy who spends way to much time with ballistics and building rifles.

I think the real answer is a Barrett .50 cal M82 CQB. I mean CQB is right in the name!
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

I think the real answer is a Barrett .50 cal M82 CQB. I mean CQB is right in the name!
    Yes, this one fits all the 'requirements'.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    I recently built an AR10 in 7mm-08. It has a Dracos carbon fiber barrel. 7mm-08 is a sweet spot between 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Less recoil and muzzle lift and better wind resistance and ballistics than 308...Better barrel life and terminal effect than 6.5 Creedmoor. Haven't shot it yet.

And before anyone dismisses my expertise in these sniper matters, you should know that I've killed four..that's right FOUR rock chucks on my place in the past few months several of which were as far as 20 yards away. So I have some good, real-world experience with the terminal effects of lead at long ranges. LOL
    sorry DogDoc, I have to call BS on this...there is no way possible in Idaho that you only killed 4 rock chucks in a few month span. In a few day span? Ok, I'll believe that...lol.
    Frank

"Some People are like a Slinky- basically useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"

Its so CQB focused they added the benefit of it emitting flashbangs when its fired inside structures

Quote Originally Posted by theborg View Post
    So I wanted to query the tribe on what you guys perceive as the modern general purpose sniper system. This is the opposite of a niche system, so there will be some tradeoffs. It is not a .338 Norma mag with 26 in. barrel capable of engagement at 2K, nor is it a 7lb recce rifle that runs out of gas at 600. My thoughts are:

1. Should have the speed and capacity to run overwatch in a target rich, relatively close range environment, and for the shooter to hold his own in a free-for-all gunfight that wasn't really part of the plan. This probably means semi auto.

2. Should have significant ballistic overmatch over typical assault rifles and generally extend the engagement envelope. This probably means going subsonic somewhere around 1200 meters, with enough precision to hit anatomical targets consistently from a thousand.

3. A cartridge with good characteristics in the wind.

4. An operating system, chasis system, and build quality that ensures consistency throughout a shot string, and firing from different positions and rests without weird POI shifts.

Those are my thoughts, and they lead me to the 6.5 gas gun as possibly being the best platform. I'd be interested to see what you guys thought were appropriate criteria, and what platform you think meets that criteria.
    Soo I'm gonna echo what others have said and ask is this build based on a realistic assesment on what your going to encounter and or need??
    Cause while I consider myself a prepper I am a REALISTIC prepper. You do you. But that seems your trying to shove a shit ton of specialized characteristics in one design. It needs focus or its going to be okayish at best and not give you the type of performance your looking for in any department. Your looking for a cross between two different things when you need to make a realistic assessment on what your actually going to "need"
    You dont use a Scalpel to breach a door and you dont use a hammer to perform surgery.. Well what most would think of when they think surgery
    But I digress. You should run this through the thought process written up by our resident hyena called the role,niche,envelope.
    For my "target rich environment long distance rifle" I run a 6.5 grendel ar15. I love 308 but it makes more sense for my environment and logistics to run a grendel. I already have the replacment parts in storage and I already have the supporting gear (LBE) to run it and for me it makes the most sense given logistics etc. Which if your gonna go full the sky is falling you want a system that is easy to fix with plenty of parts and YOU need to be able to support the system..
    Just my 10cents but again You do you..