Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by arvind View Post
    My carry is also a leatherman multitool in my front pocket and a fixed blade on the belt. Having said that, just out of curiousity, what is the take on auto knives or assisted opening knives? Wouldn't those address the issues with blade draw issues inherent with folding knives?

Arvind
    No.

the issue is not the speed of OPENING the knife. Lots if knives open quickly.

The issue is the ability to do so while under assault. Just getting it out of your pocket in the first place is a lot more difficult than people realize (much easier to access a holstered pistol or sheathed fix blade than something buried in your pocket). Getting a secure/firm grip, extracting from the pocket, and successfully opening it…and each step along the way can be impeded by the bad guy.

Oh and you also need to avoid cutting yourself in the process. Also easier said than done when someone is bashing your face in or sticking a knife in your ribs.

There’s also the fact that many knives take your hand AWAY from the action…drawing up and back when your hand really needs to be doing a job in front of you (guarding, grabbing, attacking, whatever).

IMO, as a weapon, a folding knife is a PROACTIVE tool. It needs to be deployed BEFORE the action starts. Accessing and deploying while under assault is a whole different ballgame, no matter what the opening mechanism is. Not saying it’s impossible, but…good luck.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    IMO, as a weapon, a folding knife is a PROACTIVE tool. It needs to be deployed BEFORE the action starts.
    This is the real key point that needs to be understood, however very few "good guys" ever consider using a knife or virtually any weapon for that matter proactively; often to their own peril.
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

Speaking of proactive...

One senior instructor I've trained with a couple of times counsels having "something in your hand" as you walk to your car. (I need to get better about doing that myself.)

Anyway, after thinking about it for a few minutes, that is arguably a niche filled better by a folder than a fixed blade.

ALWAYS, something decent in the hand is better than having to draw.

I carry a heretic in my pocket but I also have one on my key chain. That’s always in the hand when going to/from the vehicle. Better than nothing, because it’s not always Jframe in a coat pocket weather.

And as Gstore commando points out, a folder is a good tool in this circumstance.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Ive been carrying a folder for years starting with an AFCK and progressing to a spyderco and cold steel folder.

My next evolution will be a IWB sheath for a large Kabar TDI. I like the caveman stupid skills of its presentation and use. I had a local kydex guy make a horizontal sheath for it but its not a concealable as I would like and locating it along the belt line is problematic especially wearing warm weather clothes.

Some folks make them semi-custom but I have yet to pull the trigger one yet.

7M3

A fixed blade knife is my preference and always has been, even for utility purposes. The Amtac northman or minuteman have taken that role for me for the last 2 years. The only folder I regularly carry anymore is an old moore maker trapper for those times I need to use a knife in public. I don't trust myself to get a folder open under stress, waved, auto or whatever new opening feature. I just stick to fixed blades. I can appreciate the ingenuity.

Last edited by GhostRidder; 10-09-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Pretty cool