Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .22lr AR conversions

reaching out on this one to hopefully get some feedback on a product. does anyone here have any experience with the CMMG .22 conversion kits for ARs, specifically the Bravo and Evo Kits? if so, what is your opinion of it? is it something worth offering since, as we well know, ammo availability and prices are still unfavorable?

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    reaching out on this one to hopefully get some feedback on a product. does anyone here have any experience with the CMMG .22 conversion kits for ARs, specifically the Bravo and Evo Kits? if so, what is your opinion of it? is it something worth offering since, as we well know, ammo availability and prices are still unfavorable?
    Iíve used the shit out of the Bravo and their dedicated 22lr upper as well. Both are great kit. Hell, Iíve hunted with the Bravo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor
    Texas LTC Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

Cannot help with knowledge but at a workable price I want one and would like to buy one here. I am interested in a dedicated upper. I just do not like shooting a lot of .22 LR through a gas gun so I want a dedicated upper and yes I know it is supposed to be self cleaning.
    I have a lot of 22 HV ammo on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Cannot help with knowledge but at a workable price I want one and would like to buy one here. I am interested in a dedicated upper. I just do not like shooting a lot of .22 LR through a gas gun so I want a dedicated upper and yes I know it is supposed to be self cleaning.
    I have a lot of 22 HV ammo on hand.
    COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDABLE, HOWEVER, THE DEDICATED UPPERS ARE OUT OF STOCK UNLESS YOU WANNA ROLL THE DICE ON A CHIAPPA UPPER. IF/WHEN THEY START GETTING A SERIOUS STOCK, I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO MAKE THEM AVAILABLE, UNTIL THEN THE BRAVOS CAN BE FOUND HERE: https://suarezinternational.com/22lr-conversions/
    AND IN THE CUT THROAT SALES

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

I took the plunge and got an order in. i did not even price comparison shop and the price with 3 mags seemed quite fair.
    Standard practice is fire a 5.56 though the gun after a session to clear the leade, bore, and gasport & gas tube.

On a .22 if high volume of fire is to be done, often a lot oil helps things, especially in blow back actions when the action gets dirty from cheap dirty ammo. Years ago when I was shooting a lot of .22, my speed between separate targets really got faster at least for someone with my limited skill set getting several hits a second on separate steel targets as I went down the rack and it transferred well for full power pistol loads. Anyway it worked for me then and I hope to get that edge back.

I’ve built two dedicated CMMG uppers, using their bolt-and-barrel kits and installing them in Aero uppers. They rock. I don’t have much experience with other kits. I listened to other people’s complaints about other products and heard good things about the CMMG kits, so I went that direction. They aren’t the cheapest option, but I’ve been very happy with them both.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I’ve built two dedicated CMMG uppers, using their bolt-and-barrel kits and installing them in Aero uppers. They rock. I don’t have much experience with other kits. I listened to other people’s complaints about other products and heard good things about the CMMG kits, so I went that direction. They aren’t the cheapest option, but I’ve been very happy with them both.
    I did something similar. I bought the standard kit. But the chamber insert cracked at the neck area. I decided to order a Lothar Walther barrel and build
    a dedicated upper. Been pleased with it. Oh and the cracked insert was milled and cut into a adapter for the .22lr barrel.

They get dirty as fuck, so accept that you will have to clean them regularly AND de-lead the hell out of your barrel (or drop it into a dedicated upper you use for the kit) . I ultimately went to a dedicated .22 upper. I split the head of a couple of the drop ins with heavy use (when .22 was plentiful) .

We still run a full .22 upper with a suppressor on an autosear registered lower for the kids that come in with their folks to my buddies shop/range. Ok who am I kidding, we adults love it too, kinda like the carnival guns you used to shoot the red star out with ;)

As a fun training tool, or as a drop in if you are out in the boonies its not a bad piece of kit. Drop in kits arent as accurate in my experience as a 10/22 , but they arent bad inside of 50 yards.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    They get dirty as fuck, so accept that you will have to clean them regularly AND de-lead the hell out of your barrel (or drop it into a dedicated upper you use for the kit) . I ultimately went to a dedicated .22 upper. I split the head of a couple of the drop ins with heavy use (when .22 was plentiful) .

We still run a full .22 upper with a suppressor on an autosear registered lower for the kids that come in with their folks to my buddies shop/range. Ok who am I kidding, we adults love it too, kinda like the carnival guns you used to shoot the red star out with ;)

As a fun training tool, or as a drop in if you are out in the boonies its not a bad piece of kit. Drop in kits arent as accurate in my experience as a 10/22 , but they arent bad inside of 50 yards.
    Thanks for the heads up. I can see these kits as fragile considering the high round counts that they will be subjected to. My experience with the ceiner kit in a 1911 was a need for new buffer washers (Facet washers worked) and broke the firing pin. Made a new temporary firing pin from a fluted 3 inch concrete spike using part of the broken top of the old firing pin until I got a new part. Turned the concrete spike down using drill.
    Uses:
    You can shoot on ranges that can not take full 5.56 loads.

i would use it for drills. Right to left shoulder transitions. Practice for around structures and getting off the X. At about 100 ft to maybe 50 yard max.

Dedicated upper would seem the way to go.

Eventually it sounds like I should get a stripped cheapo .22 upper without the BCG and those used to be about $180 and hopefully that will be available again in the future. But it does mean a duplicate set of optics.

I have a CMMG .22 conversion kit. The POI is different than what your sights/red dot is set up for when shooting 556. My opinion...I would rather have a dedicated 22LR upper with dialed in sights for just that round. Or for that matter a complete AR in 22LR.

But if you want to buy the conversion kit...looks like they are here.
    Last edited by Redbug; 09-24-2021 at 04:38 PM.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"