Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sig 556R optic: ACOG vs. Browe vs. LPVO

Did some research from old threads in 2014, but it’s now 2021 and I realize LPVO options have changed quite a bit. Currently have an Aimpoint T-1 micro on the Sig 556R, but looking to upgrade to a magnified optic. The question is, which one? Any opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

1.) TA-33 (3x30) ACOG (7.62x39)

2.) Browe 4x32 (7.62x39)

3.) LPVO (Vortex, Leupold, etc...)

I would like to be able to do CQB work (yes, I know it’s a compromise), with the ability to reach out to 500 yards with good ammo. Appreciate the input. Thanks!
    “This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.” - Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy04 View Post
    Did some research from old threads in 2014, but it’s now 2021 and I realize LPVO options have changed quite a bit. Currently have an Aimpoint T-1 micro on the Sig 556R, but looking to upgrade to a magnified optic. The question is, which one? Any opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

1.) TA-33 (3x30) ACOG (7.62x39)

2.) Browe 4x32 (7.62x39)

3.) LPVO (Vortex, Leupold, etc...)

I would like to be able to do CQB work (yes, I know it’s a compromise), with the ability to reach out to 500 yards with good ammo. Appreciate the input. Thanks!
    My agency adopted Trijicon Credo and Vortex Razor Gen 2 LVPOs. They’ve made the Browe and ACOG obsolete overnight and have radically cut down on the number of red dot sights we issue. The Trijicon Credo seems to be the most popular sight and by far the easiest to use.

People are going to have differing opinions on this as they are on almost everything, but the ultimate common denominator is that mission dictates gear. I don't view my 556r as a 500 yard rifle, just like I don't view my ARs as 800 yard rifles, nor my 308 as a 1200 yard rifle. That's not to say that you can't go out that far with those calibers, which is essentially an academic exercise, rather that there are better tools for those jobs.

That said, where the 7.62x39 shines is inside 300 yards. Where you would likely be best served with a red dot coupled with either a removable or flip away magnifier, or perhaps an LVPO with an offset mounted red dot. Everything is a compromise. Pick the compromise that gives you most in your most likely scenario, without giving up too much in less likely scenarios. Statistically, you are much more likely to need your rifle at stone's throw distances than any further. Assuming this decision is more about practicality than "cause it's cool," I would recommend you focus on optimizing to win the gunfight you're most likely to have.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

The struggle won't be the gun or optic. It will be ammo at 500. I shot my 556r a bunch at 600. With Lapua 7.62x39 and a leupold 1-4.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I don't know if this helps, but I have an ACOG TA110D (3.5X35 LED), an EOTEC EXPS3 with a G33 Magnifier, SIG 1-4, Burris 1-6 and a Trijicon 1-8, plus several Aimpoint red dots.
    Out of all of these various "sights" I really prefer the LVPO's, but that totally depends on the application. The one exception is my 8" 300 BLK AR. I have this one set up with the ESPS3 and G33 for CQB and stuff out to 200/300 yards. Nice handy combo and the magnifier flips out of the way for close in work.
    If I have pull out something that will take a real beating and survive hard core conditions, the ACOG gets the nod...
    Cranky Old Guy

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Army Jan 73 - Dec 79

"We don't want yellow cowards in this Army. They should be killed off like rats. If not, they will go home after this war and breed more cowards. The brave men will breed more brave men. Kill off the Goddamned cowards and we will have a nation of brave men."

“In case of doubt, attack.”
    ― George S. Patton Jr.

"If the government is the answer, then the question is stupid!"

I have a 556R with a Browe. It’s an excellent optic, but if I had to do it over today I would go with a LPVO. I really like the Browe for most distances, but I do find that 4x is more challenging for me at CQB ranges. 4x is the high end of what I can reasonably do close in, and I find it more difficult than even a 3x. I think a 1-4 or better yet a 1-6 is a more well-rounded choice today.

I know that some find 1x out of a LPVO to actually be more difficult close in than 2 or 3…but that’s a great strength of the variable choice.

The 556R may not be intended for 500 yards but it will absolutely do it. I personally like Federal Fusion ammo - it’s very nearly as good as Lapua but not outrageously expensive (and least when I stocked up, might not be available now).

My dad has a 556r with a red dot and he is consistent out to 400, and that is with Wolf ammo.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those choices. The Browe and ACOG are still bomb proof and compact for what they are; I don’t think any LPVO will ever be as tough. But if pure toughness isn’t your highest priority, a LPVO will give you greater performance over a wider spectrum of problems.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I appreciate all the replies. Originally I was leaning toward the ACOG due to sheer durability, but I feel like LPVOs have come a long way since 2014. Sounds like a 1-6 is the ticket. Thanks for the recommendation on the Credo, I’ll probably go that route.
    “This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.” - Churchill

I’ll offer a dissenting opinion. I’ve got an ACOG 4x (TA02?) on a 556. My brother has a Browe 4x on a 556R. I think those optics are just about perfect for that gun. Neither of us has the flip-up front sight; just the standard fixed. With both the ACOG and Browe, the front sight post just blurs into invisibility. But if you pull the optic off, you’ve got that little flip-up rear sight. On just about any other gun, I’d choose an LPVO. But the Sig just goes together with the ACOG/Browe like peanut butter goes with jelly.
    Virtute et Armis

I won’t disagree with Lawdog on this one. I really like the Browe on my 556R and won’t be changing it.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I’ll offer a dissenting opinion. I’ve got an ACOG 4x (TA02?) on a 556. My brother has a Browe 4x on a 556R. I think those optics are just about perfect for that gun. Neither of us has the flip-up front sight; just the standard fixed. With both the ACOG and Browe, the front sight post just blurs into invisibility. But if you pull the optic off, you’ve got that little flip-up rear sight. On just about any other gun, I’d choose an LPVO. But the Sig just goes together with the ACOG/Browe like peanut butter goes with jelly.
    It’s funny you mention this, because after my last post, my mind keeps going back to the ACOG. Something about the light weight, simplicity, and sheer toughness... knowing it will outlast the rifle. And the fact that it has a 7.62x39 BDC (good luck finding that on a quality LPVO).

Yep, I’m eating my words now.