Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Once I get my 45-70 back from the smith I got a Primary Arms red dot I am going to put on it and the proceed to abuse and punish for fun and out of curiosity.
    The mental image I have of this rifle is getting funnier and funnier, lol—a chopped barrel, suppressor, and red dot, on a 45/70—I assume it's a lever gun, based on the other thread where you mentioned getting it canned?

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    The mental image I have of this rifle is getting funnier and funnier, lol—a chopped barrel, suppressor, and red dot, on a 45/70—I assume it's a lever gun, based on the other thread where you mentioned getting it canned?
    You are spot on. Its a Marlin 1895.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    You are spot on. Its a Marlin 1895.
    Make sure you post pics, when you get it back. Including of the fireball that thing has to make, even with the can on the end. This makes me giggle, too. "Quietly" blowing intruders back out the door, eh?

ETA: Looked up the concept, figuring surely someone else had done something similar, and it actually looks a little more realistically interesting than I thought, at least as a guide brush gun that you might need for knocking down elephants without blowing out your hearing, lol.
    Last edited by Faramir2; 10-02-2021 at 07:40 AM.

Many good point in this thread. I can only echo my own experience when I had my Sig556 R. Remind that this was a few years ago. Sold it a back for almost twice what I paid for it. Anyways...I took it Jon Payne's rifle class near Houston. While I taken this class before, this was the first with the SigR. I used both a Hi-Lux LPVO 1-4 and the ACOG TA-33. Both for 7.62 x 39. Naturally the 1-4 was heavier that it did change the overall handling balance. The problem at that time was the reticle of the scope that wasn't conducive to close distance, given the current status of LPVO at that time. Another was the uncapped or unlockable turrents. During the dynamic movements, placement in the rack, etc. I wasn't sure when the scope got bump but my POI of impact had shifted until the culprit was found and windage turret was returned to zero. For extended range, the LPVO worked fine. I did use index points on the scope as reference for close range work but this was new for me and still getting use to it. I'm sure more training would have resulted in improvements. For the ACOG, no issues with adjustments getting bumped, reticle was very bright during daylight, no batteries, tritium for night, worked well for its intended range up 300 yards (furthest I took it), improved close range worked compared to LPVO, even tried the biden aiming concept, and rifle had better balance so overall the win goes to ACOG. I also tried T-1 aimpoint with the CASV height American Defense QD mount which had perfect sight alignment for me. Naturally, the T-1 was slightly better at CQB distance but I couldn't tell how much of an improvement it was compared to the ACOG and I could still make hits out to 300 with it. Overall the ACOG on this rifle in its application worked the best for me. If I was to revisit this with today's advancements in LPVO, I definitely try the newer offerings, combine with offset RDS would be a great start. Even with a ACOG today, adding a backup RMR red dot either at 12 o'clock or offset.

Perhaps reaching out other S.I. members in your area for a range day if anyone has these items for you to try out before you buy? I've done this and it certainly helps.
    Last edited by golucky; 10-02-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    Frank,

I recently bought a pair of Primary Arms prism optics, the PA SLx 1x and the 2x. Both are crystal clear, look and feel bombproof, and offer interesting and useful features regarding battery life and reticles. Ain't no ACOG, obviously, but being an old retired guy they're a good fit for me.
    Thanks for that reply...I am leaning that way.
    Frank

"Some People are like a Slinky- basically useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"

I've got the 3x Acog on my 'go to' AK with the 7.62*39 reticle. I've taken it out to 500 yards and got hits on a full size IPSC cardboard target. I've also got one of the Primary Arms Prism Acog clones on an AR. It has been fine so far, and at less than half the price of the Acog.

For handling and balance I like these compact optics better on an AK. I had a 556R and tried a 1-6x LPVO on it but found it awkward. Ended up ditching the Sig as it had multiple issues which I have wrote about in the past.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who keep their swords. -Benjamin Franklin