Default Sig and left handed compatibility?

I have handled and considered buying a Sig numerous times over the years but never had a opportunity to shoot one before I buy. So any lefties(that is left hand dominate) with experience using Sigs? Specifically I want to know about issues with the decocker while firing such as comfort or premature decocking. Manipulation of the controls is not an issue for me. I’m also wondering if SI’s Sig control parts would help alleviate any of those issues.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. Robert E. Lee

All controls are easily accessible with the left hand, but you will need to break your firing grip to use them. In a proper firing grip my left hand is not in contact with slide lock or decocker, regardless of configuration. With two-piece OEM grips the top edge of my index finger can contact the decocker, but if anything would push it upward.

Decocking is done with the tip of the index finger.

I use the slide lock for takedown only.

I can bring my left thumb around to press the slide release, but hitting a reduced release under stress with a weakened grip is not something I'd try unless I could not run the slide by any other means.
    Last edited by Papa; 08-03-2021 at 06:57 AM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

The slide release is never used in a tactical event. The only use for it is to lock open the slide for inspection, at the range, or for takedown. Suarez doctrine has the shooter of any handgun use the slide itself to operate the action, it eschews the silly speed load, and relies on reactive processes. See the various videos if you were out sick that day.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Being left handed in a right handed world you learn to adapt. I’ve always used the slide lock as a slide lock and not as a slide release, long before it became a popular method. The primary question was about the decocker being uncomfortable or engaging prematurely while firing left handed.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. Robert E. Lee

I carried the P Series SIGs both on and off duty since about 1986...I'm left handed...keep all controls as they come factory, use the slingshot method to release the slide and get used (it will feel weird at first) to using your trigger finger to hit the magazine release button or your off hand (Right Hand) and use the trigger finger for the decocking lever...

after you get used to it (quickly enough) it can be second nature...hope this helps

Bill

I bought a used Beretta 96 at a gun show. It had the mag release installed on the right side, for a left handed shooter. I have never worked with such a safety, and I was surprised at how easy it was to operate.

The safety is easily reversed by the user. But, I almost left it. Except for weapon continuity, and that it might accidentally release in a right handed holster, I might have left it alone.

-- ML

Quote Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
    I bought a used Beretta 96 at a gun show. It had the mag release installed on the right side, for a left handed shooter. I have never worked with such a release, and I was surprised at how easy it was to operate.

The mag release is easily reversed by the user. But I almost left it. Except for weapon continuity, and that it might accidentally release in a right handed holster, I might have left it alone.

-- ML
    Fixed it for you. Now drink some coffee.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    The slide release is never used in a tactical event. The only use for it is to lock open the slide for inspection, at the range, or for takedown. Suarez doctrine has the shooter of any handgun use the slide itself to operate the action, it eschews the silly speed load, and relies on reactive processes. See the various videos if you were out sick that day.
    What Gabe said. I will add that has a leftie who owns a SIG P226, the decocker can be be manipulated with the trigger finger without completely loosing a firing grip.

on my first P226 around 1987 or so I reversed the magazine release button...I found that at least with on duty holsters the button could be activated by the flex of the holster...this was on several types of holsters and when I brought this to the attention of the manufacturer, Safariland changed the design (I am sure others had the same issue)...I have seen where this could happen with several left handed holsters where the magazine button was reversed...after that I never again reversed a magazine button and never had an issue with them on the left side intended for right handed people...

YMMV of course

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Fixed it for you. Now drink some coffee.
    Yes, release, thank you. I had my coffee, but I was in the middle of taking a Samantha Bee and was distracted.

-- ML