Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12” 308...

At the end of the day if you want it do it. I have zero interest in a .308 under 16". At the same time I have a 45-70 that is out getting the barrel chopped down and threaded for a can because the idea makes me giggle.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Gonna want to see that one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    At the end of the day if you want it do it. I have zero interest in a .308 under 16". At the same time I have a 45-70 that is out getting the barrel chopped down and threaded for a can because the idea makes me giggle.
    Ugh now your giving me MORE project ideas.. I have a heirlom 3030 that needs some love..

Quote Originally Posted by 45Smashemflat View Post
    Gonna want to see that one!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokelse416 View Post
    Ugh now your giving me MORE project ideas.. I have a heirlom 3030 that needs some love..
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

Sometimes it is want vs need... In this case, I am very interested in a very short accurate bolt gun. I also have no desire to add another caliber to the current inventory of what I stock and keep. As such 308 is something I have a lot of, and I am pretty sure I can make it do what I want.

So, back to initial question. If anyone has something like this, I’m curious what loads and performance you have found thus far.

I used to shoot a 14” XP100 in 308 for years.

handloading helps a lot as you can somewhat tailor the powder for a shorter barrel.

no matter what you do you cannot get away from the blast.

If all you ever want is subsonics then the BO is the way to go.

If you want other options the 308 case will outperform the BO hands down albeit with a LOT of muzzle blast.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Back 10+ years I chronographed a bunch of FALs with Portuguese 7.62 x 51 , 147 gr surplus. This was about 1.5 MOA ammo in my rifles.

The 20.5" barrel (called 21"), 17.5" (called 18"), 16.25", 13" (with permanently attached flash hider).

20.5" 2750 fps

13" 2475 fps

As I remember the 17.5" was my favorite. Steyr 50.63 Para Folding Stock or a clone of a 50.63.

If you are using the standard length gas system 16" requires more care in: gas piston, gas tube and end plug. 16" often requires a slight enlargement of gas port.

I had the chance to use and examine 30+ FALs.

My favorite iron sighted 7.62 x 51 battle rifle. I do not think they are the best choice for scoped precise work.

Scoped there is a tendency toward vertical stringing, cold vs warm about 12" at 500 yds.

With iron sights (unlike scope) front sight is on barrel and moves with the barrel. Did not notice as much stringing with iron sights.

Of course larger groups with iron sights may have masked some of the stringing.
    Last edited by cmcampbell; 09-21-2021 at 10:01 PM.

If you want tons of velocity loss and tons of powder burning outside the barrel... sure go for it.

Holy frick, that's nuts.

So is your chopped-and-canned 45-70 idea, but for different reasons, lol. Gotta post pics, when that thing comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasher View Post
    I used to shoot a 14” XP100 in 308 for years.

handloading helps a lot as you can somewhat tailor the powder for a shorter barrel.

no matter what you do you cannot get away from the blast.

If all you ever want is subsonics then the BO is the way to go.

If you want other options the 308 case will outperform the BO hands down albeit with a LOT of muzzle blast.
    What is the twist rate of your xp100? I would think a slight faster twist would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Holy frick, that's nuts.

So is your chopped-and-canned 45-70 idea, but for different reasons, lol. Gotta post pics, when that thing comes back.
    I am normal. :)
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

What is the twist rate of your xp100? I would think a slight faster twist would help.

I am normal. :)
    Suppressed lever guns are always cool.
    I've been wanting to build a F1 can that looks like an early 1900's Maxim suppressor, to match with an old lever gun for the right look. 357/38 if I can find one, but easier to find a 45 Colt.

Twist rate - for the most part twist rate is twist rate and not dependent on barrel length, just make sure it's enough for the length of bullet you're shooting. I.e. at least 1:12 twist for most 175gr match bullets, or the standard 1:10 for heavier/longer stuff. Faster twist rate is generally unnecessary in shorter barrels unless velocity loss is extreme (like putting a 308 down into pistol velocity range) but even then the twist rate differences are pretty small. A lot of people spread the idea that twist rate should be matched to velocity, but for the most part that is incorrect.