Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12” 308...

Default 12” 308...

Ok, so I’ve got a real itch, and a good line on a 12” 308 bolt gun. My limited research says most factory loadings are going to run out about 300 yards in terms of effectiveness. (Enough velocity for proper bullet performance.)

Jumping to glass for a braced pistol like this. I’m thinking LPVO that tops out around 8 or 10x.

Anyone with hands on experience with a set up like this? Looking for real data on loadings as well as optics opinions.

Genuine question, why would you not just go with a 300 Blackout? Velocity would be similar, and you would have much less muzzle blast and less weight.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

Gabe had an article on this very topic a while back when he was experimenting with an upgraded Remington 700-cp in .308. I don’t recall the conclusion, but I sure you can find the article with some careful searching.
    Last edited by jesselp; 09-18-2021 at 12:14 PM.

If it were me, a gun like that would be primarily a sneaky sub shooter primarily, with a full power option. 300aac is not full power.

Handloading would be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post
    If it were me, a gun like that would be primarily a sneaky sub shooter primarily, with a full power option. 300aac is not full power.

Handloading would be necessary.
    Doesn't that make my point, though? Subs will be equal between 308 and 300, and with full power ammo, 300 shoots 110 grain pills at around 2300 fps, whereas 308 shoots 150 grains at around the same speed. Is there an energy and slight velocity advantage using full power 308? Yes, but is it worth the tradeoffs for this small advantage? Not in my mind, but ultimately the OP will need to answer that question for himself.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

If you want tons of velocity loss and tons of powder burning outside the barrel... sure go for it.

Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    If you want tons of velocity loss and tons of powder burning outside the barrel... sure go for it.

Well, at least it's super controllable.

While I get the point of 300BO, I’m also not wanting to add another caliber to the inventory. I do plan to work up some specific loads, and I hear that Lapua and others are/have developed some short barrel rounds already.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Genuine question, why would you not just go with a 300 Blackout? Velocity would be similar, and you would have much less muzzle blast and less weight.
    This is something that commonly gets asked/repeated about this topic, but it's fundamentally flawed. The idea that you might as well give up even more because you're going with a short barrel can have value in specific applications but is not universally a good idea.

In the same length barrel, the 308 has significantly more power than the 300 Blackout. It's not just a tiny or irrelevant difference as many of the ballistic illiterate claim. If you can get 2300 from a 110gr bullet in the Blackout, why not go for 2600-2700 from the exact same bullet in the 308? (Better yet, use a heavier bullet, but no need to get too deep into this here.)

There are always penalties in muzzle blast and flash with a larger cartridge, and that's why the 300 Blk exists, but that's only one of many reasons to choose a particular cartridge. I can see good reasons for using either cartridge in a short barrel, but generally speaking one is not a very good substitute for the other.

And of course if the goal is subsonic loads primarily, then obviously go with the 300 Blk, but I'm guessing we all knew that already.

As they say in Maine, A’yup....

Super quiet is cool, but not the only reason for this one.