Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntindoc View Post
    Depends on the gun, which suppressor, direct thread vs quick attach, what type of quick attach, load and range.

I have some that are very repeatable but I have one thread on that opens the entire group from sub MOA to 4” at 100yds. That one doesn’t get used much (meaning never).
    Do you mind sharing what can that is? Also, does it do that on all your guns, or just the one? Noticed any baffle or end cap strikes?
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

Your reasoning is based upon one set of expectations. Allow me to present another scenario.

Spending three long days with 3 shooters on a prairie dog hunt, in close proximity of each other and using supersonic rifles from .17HMR to .22-250, or even .243/6mm rifles, is very loud, both with the muzzle reports and yelling to each other. Using suppressors, the same 3 people are able to communicate easily, while shooting all day at the small, distant targets. Whether the suppressors alter the behavior of the animals is up for debate, but those devices sure do make the long days of shooting a very pleasant experience.
    Lee

You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

Psalm 76:7-9

Quote Originally Posted by Redbug View Post
    What can you guys say about point of impact differences when one is on and then taken off? How much difference?
    The amount of POI difference for your rifle and your suppressor should be very repeatable, as long as your suppressor indexes the same every time. Exceptions might be something like a 3 lug mount, where the suppressor can index in 3 different positions. But for most rifle cans, your POI will be different with the suppressor, but repeatable.

As to how much difference - that depends on a lot of factors, but mostly your barrel dimensions and weight of the can. (If you hang a weight on the end of a steel bar, the amount it droops depends how thick and long the bar is, and how heavy the weight is.) Most of my rifles only get used with one particular suppressor, so I mark somewhere on the action or optic what the POI difference is. In most cases it's between 0.7 and 1.0 mils down, and sometimes a couple tenths to one side or another. On a couple short stiff barrels there is no significant change in POI, but that's an exception. You'll just have to test each combination for yourself and record that value. Then it's easy to dial that correction in your mil/mil optic and make a good hit with the first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    The amount of POI difference for your rifle and your suppressor should be very repeatable, as long as your suppressor indexes the same every time. Exceptions might be something like a 3 lug mount, where the suppressor can index in 3 different positions. But for most rifle cans, your POI will be different with the suppressor, but repeatable.

As to how much difference - that depends on a lot of factors, but mostly your barrel dimensions and weight of the can. (If you hang a weight on the end of a steel bar, the amount it droops depends how thick and long the bar is, and how heavy the weight is.) Most of my rifles only get used with one particular suppressor, so I mark somewhere on the action or optic what the POI difference is. In most cases it's between 0.7 and 1.0 mils down, and sometimes a couple tenths to one side or another. On a couple short stiff barrels there is no significant change in POI, but that's an exception. You'll just have to test each combination for yourself and record that value. Then it's easy to dial that correction in your mil/mil optic and make a good hit with the first shot.
    Thank you Yondering! That makes sense, now.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

The can at issue is a silencerco harvester. It is a 30 cal lightweight, thread on can. The rifle is a Briley custom 7mm mag on a rem 700 chassis. The same can opens up 556 as well but that rifle is not as tight initially as the 7mag. No baffle or end cap strikes. I believe that it has to do with the built in compensator at the end of the harvester can.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindoc View Post
    The can at issue is a silencerco harvester. It is a 30 cal lightweight, thread on can. The rifle is a Briley custom 7mm mag on a rem 700 chassis. The same can opens up 556 as well but that rifle is not as tight initially as the 7mag. No baffle or end cap strikes. I believe that it has to do with the built in compensator at the end of the harvester can.
    If it's making your group sizes significantly worse (and not just changing POI consistently) then it's almost always a suppressor misalignment issue. It doesn't have to have baffle strikes; just the effect of the bullet passing close enough to a baffle is enough to cause issues. If it was having actual baffle strikes, you wouldn't have groups, you'd have patterns at best.

If it does this on multiple rifles, the problem is most likely the suppressor itself rather than the threads on your barrels. (Unless all your barrels were threaded by the same person who did poor work.) You can get a replacement cap for without that weird built in brake, if you think that's the problem.