Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RMR Consensus…

Is there a consensus regarding which is preferred, adjustable vs non-adjustable? I always used the non-adjustable RMR but am considering picking up one of the adjustable type2’s. Is it worth it? Why or why not?

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

realistically its all about preference. i run an 06 and an 09. the 06 worked great until i my eyes had both developed an astigmatism, and now the 06 looks to me the same as an 07 should. the 09 offers more visual clarity for me with a much sharper dot that i can pick up better with or without glasses

a lot of this decision is also based on whether or not you want control of the brightness or want a more fire and forget, throw the battery in and let it do its thing optic. thats another benefit of the adjustable models is they also have auto brightness modes.

the dual modes, im not personally a fan of especially indoors, simply because indoor lighting (for me) does not offer enough lighting to create a clear dot/triangle for me. outdoors, its rarely dim enough for me to not have a clear sight, but again, this is my personal usage opinion, and should be taken with a grain of salt, as again, its about your personal preferences and needs.

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Just as shop monkey said. Its about personal preference the adjustable RMRs are much more versatile. I run both the RM06 on my smaller guttersnipe 17 but on my EDC 34 i run the RM09. To me the dot is clearer and for precision shooting at longer distance the RM09 is much more advantageous.

Isn't the 06 and 09 3.25 and 1 MOA respectively? You don't find the smaller dot to be a problem picking up, especially the 1 MOA dot?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    Isn't the 06 and 09 3.25 and 1 MOA respectively? You don't find the smaller dot to be a problem picking up, especially the 1 MOA dot?
    Not in the slightest. Even in bright daylight it is very easy to pick up the dot and shoot quickly

I have never found the smaller dot to be difficult to find. With mild astigmatism, I prefer the 3.25.

I like the dual illum models for some things, but as Josh pointed out they do wash out in some conditions. I would not recommend the triangle models at all, they virtually disappear in low light. The dot models are better, I can see them in most conditions but they still wash out enough at times and you must rely on sights (another argument for the minimal SI night sights IMO).

If the dual illum came in a smaller dot size, it would probably be my preferred option. They are even more durable and astigmatism is less of an issue.

But they are not small so my default is the non-adjustable, 3.25. The adjustable version is useful, and I think particularly valuable for the shooter who is new to dots (there is some value in being able to turn it off for training). But I personally prefer the non-adjustable for most things.

I can never remember the damn numbers for these things.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I have a mild astigmatism. Nothing that has ever caused the 6.5 MOA 02 model to be unusable but noticeable starbursting… Would the adjustable models ability to turn down the brightness help mitigate this issue?

It does help.

3.25 adjustable helps more.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

slightly off topic, going to the dot full time and having an astigmatism albeit mild has made me wear my glasses more frequently... side effect... I miss fewer turns in unfamiliar neighborhoods now as street signs are oddly more legible... who knew?
    Semper Fi!

Agree on the dual illuminated regarding washout. I've been playing with one for about 5 years on a Glock 17 and I like it but don't love it in that role. I'm gonna probably replace with either an 06 RMR or a 508T GR (green reticle); I REALLY like the 508T GR ... they FINALLY got rid of that white logo (I hate huge-ass logos) but more important, the squared hood and titanium build is rock solid and the green reticle is amazing.

Back to the original topic: The dual illuminated still has life in it -- the tritium is okay but not the best IMHO and the fiber optic shines crazy bright green in daylight, almost too much in direct sunlight. I'll probably put it on a rifle or carbine, probably my PSA AKV (9mm Ak clone). It's not a primary life or death weapon though it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. ;)
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."