Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What 5.56 and 7.62 cans to buy?

Hi all,

I would love some opinions on what are the best cans to buy for 5.56 and 7.62 ARs.

My priorities are light weight, maneuverability, and low gas blowback. Sound suppression is, obviously, also a concern at the ear specifically, but secondary to maneuverability and minimal blowback. I'm not opposed to direct thread cans, as each can will likely remain with its host.

I've been pondering the offerings from Thermal Defense and OSS, but am also contemplating the Dead Air Nomad Ti for it's light weight. Have no idea what any of these cans are like at the ear, and whether the Nomad is any good as far as blowback goes.

Thank you for your input.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

I'm researching a 300 BO can myself.
    9" 300 BO AR
    Paul

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.

All cans will blow back. Blow back is much more a factor of your gas port, barrel length, spring and buffer than what type of can at least in my experience. Piston guns blow back less if adjusted correctly. I don’t have a non-piston gun that has an adjustable gas port but I imagine that adjusting the port would reduce bow back significantly.

I feel like I’ve written this before but not sure which thread. I have several cans and two of them are Surefire Socom cans. One is .30 cal. and one is 5.56. The .30 can is on a .300 Blackout and is very fun to shoot...but definitely not movie quiet. I really like the Surefire attachment system.

My 5.56 can has me wondering why I bothered as I don’t do CQB for a living or shoot from cars much. I don’t need to worry about Al Qaeda seeing my flash either. On that gun, I added an adjustable bolt carrier and an H2 buffer to help with blowback, etc. They definitely help. Overall, suppressing 5.56 is highly overrated IMO...but it looks cool and that’s what counts...like chicks deciding to wear high heels.

For what it’s worth, I have some .22 suppressors and they are everything I was looking for. I absolutely love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I feel like I’ve written this before but not sure which thread. I have several cans and two of them are Surefire Socom cans. One is .30 cal. and one is 5.56. The .30 can is on a .300 Blackout and is very fun to shoot...but definitely not movie quiet. I really like the Surefire attachment system.

My 5.56 can has me wondering why I bothered as I don’t do CQB for a living or shoot from cars much. I don’t need to worry about Al Qaeda seeing my flash either. On that gun, I added an adjustable bolt carrier and an H2 buffer to help with blowback, etc. They definitely help. Overall, suppressing 5.56 is highly overrated IMO...but it looks cool and that’s what counts...like chicks deciding to wear high heels.

For what it’s worth, I have some .22 suppressors and they are everything I was looking for. I absolutely love them.
    I appreciate the insights. 5.56 is important to me because it is the caliber I'm most likely to be using if I were in a defensive situation in my home. I know it's not as quiet as any subsonic round, but it is what it is. Firing 5.56 indoors without hearing protection is a life changing event, and even though suppressors only mitigate this somewhat, they're way better than nothing.

I haven't taken the plunge into 300 AAC, and don't plan on it. I do still have a Sig 556R in 7.62x39, and Barnaul subs are available for a very reasonable price. Which will afford me lots of practice.

As you and others have mentioned, Hollywood quiet is really only achievable with subsonic 22, so that's a serious consideration also. Despite the current prices for ammo.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post

Look to the future and what is coming. Might change your mind. As for movie quiet most aren't and don't need to be. Especially if there is a wall or something between people or even a little distance in open air. What you hear at the gun is very different that even a few feet away.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Look to the future and what is coming. Might change your mind. As for movie quiet most aren't and don't need to be. Especially if there is a wall or something between people or even a little distance in open air. What you hear at the gun is very different that even a few feet away.
    Exactly.

I have been mulling a suppressor, too. I am thinking of the AAC 7.62-SDN-6. Multiple calibers from 308 to 5.56. With the quick-connect mount flash hider mounted on all your guns, you can swap the suppressor to whichever gun you are using.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I’m almost 50. There ain’t a lot of “future” left. And, as I stated, I’ve had better luck with .300 BO in the suppressed role. I think 5.56 suppressed is kind of a PITA and fairly overrated. Do as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbug View Post
    I have been mulling a suppressor, too. I am thinking of the AAC 7.62-SDN-6. Multiple calibers from 308 to 5.56. With the quick-connect mount flash hider mounted on all your guns, you can swap the suppressor to whichever gun you are using.
    It is my personal belief one should dedicate one suppressor to one host weapon and call it a day (especially on an AR). With tuning the action, poa/poi, training scars, and what not, I think everything goes smoother that way.