Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yeah Yeah, It's a Fudd P80 PF940C

Yes yes, I know the opinion of these are rather low here... But this was a fun little project that I started collecting parts for several months ago. It's a Polymer 80 PF940C, aka a Glock 19 GEN3 clone. Most parts are SI, such as the slide and most of its internals, trigger group, and barrel, then the rest is factory Glock and maybe Zev spring. Most work was done with a Dremil and files to remove the do-dads to fit the slide rails and pins. Some extra work was needed on the rear rail module since it was out of spec (common problem listed on the inter webs), but some careful Dremil work and lots of test fittings got the job done. Gave it a test run this afternoon with it suppressed and it worked like a charm. Of course this will never be a carry gun, but just something fun to tool around with.

DBDA2E3B-2E4C-47BE-9352-61A47E3716E8.jpg

148AF0FC-BFA5-4A6C-9AD1-C5E932E93694.jpg

4C0F6A14-DB05-4DB7-972F-95DD8189C61E.jpg

590FA48B-2656-4786-B891-AF2C2C0C8FF2.jpg
    Last edited by steve_k; 06-13-2021 at 01:15 PM.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

I always thought it would be fun to try to build a P80. Ever considered the AR version ??

Quote Originally Posted by mike28w View Post
    I always thought it would be fun to try to build a P80. Ever considered the AR version ??
    They are fun projects... I have a couple of the old EP Armory lowers built up and ran 5 to 7 hundred rounds through one of them for RGF-3 several years ago. Of course it's not at the front of the safe, but it has been a good rifle to plink with and teach a few shooters.

Thanks. I was curious about these pistols, but I have never read much about them. Putting SI parts like a slide is like putting a silver saddle on a broken down ridding donkey. The P80 builds seem to have usefulness as a project or for someone that wants an untraceable gun.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Thanks. I was curious about these pistols, but I have never read much about them. Putting SI parts like a slide is like putting a silver saddle on a broken down ridding donkey. The P80 builds seem to have usefulness as a project or for someone that wants an untraceable gun.
    Oh yes, putting SI parts on this thing is like polishing a turd.... But should the turd need to be flushed, I have great parts I can use on other firearms.

On the AR kits: I bought one, primarily as a "Proof of Concept" and learning tool. It was clearly NOT a serious tool - that should be no surprise to anyone.

I had never assembled an AR from parts before and wanted a low cost way to learn, plus I wanted to see how hard it really was to go from 80% to functioning.

Overall impression: it's easier to do overall than I expected, but there's a big difference between "doing it" and "doing it right" or "doing it well."

About a month after I built it I cut it in half and threw it in the trash. I literally bought it to test the process.

I think with some practice, someone could become proficient enough to turn out well machined lowers, however any lowers made of something other than aluminum is just a range toy.

A Drill Press would be a must for building something like this.

And finally, my conclusion on building 80% lowers was that, just like with ammo reloading, while I am certain I could develop proficiency in doing it I'd just rather buy them from someone who does it professionally for reliability, trust, and perhaps overall, TIME.

Life is short. I only have so much more time on this earth. Building an 80% lower and testing to make sure it works is not something I want to spend much time doing, and I'll happily pay someone $100 or $150 to offload that job.

I'm buying time (and reliability / trust of the lower).

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    On the AR kits: I bought one, primarily as a "Proof of Concept" and learning tool. It was clearly NOT a serious tool - that should be no surprise to anyone.

I had never assembled an AR from parts before and wanted a low cost way to learn, plus I wanted to see how hard it really was to go from 80% to functioning.

Overall impression: it's easier to do overall than I expected, but there's a big difference between "doing it" and "doing it right" or "doing it well."

About a month after I built it I cut it in half and threw it in the trash. I literally bought it to test the process.

I think with some practice, someone could become proficient enough to turn out well machined lowers, however any lowers made of something other than aluminum is just a range toy.

A Drill Press would be a must for building something like this.

And finally, my conclusion on building 80% lowers was that, just like with ammo reloading, while I am certain I could develop proficiency in doing it I'd just rather buy them from someone who does it professionally for reliability, trust, and perhaps overall, TIME.

Life is short. I only have so much more time on this earth. Building an 80% lower and testing to make sure it works is not something I want to spend much time doing, and I'll happily pay someone $100 or $150 to offload that job.

I'm buying time (and reliability / trust of the lower).

Most plastic lowers from what I have seen are a bad choice of the ARs. Forgotten weapons Ian and InRange Karl have been spending a lot of time on their what would stoner do project. From what I got out their presentations was the plastic lowers due to the materials involved need different physical specifications to be able to withstand the stress of holding pins and such.
    The Andersen aluminum lowers whether they are 80% or 100% are supposed to hold up. Before this insanity of high pricing started a fully machined andersen lower was not so much more than 80% . 30-60s dollar more and so the motivation of the 80%s was having a maybe untraceable lower. What I have been told is typically there is a learning cruve and people are apt to mess the first one or two that they do.
    I hear stories locally of people that have made multiple 80% lowers to the fully functional state. This is all intended to thwart future laws. These people are planning to resist these. I live in sanctuary county. For me the easy button would seem to buy off paper from an individual since that gives you a serial numbered item that is completely legal to possess. Perhaps in the future they will require numbers on the upper also. we will have to deal with that when it happens.
    As lawdog said elsewhere maybe next these same locals may consider that third pin hole. Maybe when guns are outlawed, the outlaw might as well own what he wants.

Im confused.

What about the frame makes it a turd?

Since all the other components you used are good, the frame makes it suck. Ok.

Except, made right, the p80 frames are pretty good.

I dont understand, this sounds like a weird flex to me. Its like when Harley guys shit all over metric cruisers.

'Jap bike POS'. LOL, yeah, no buddy its not a POS. Jap bike, yes, but POS? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post
    Im confused.

What about the frame makes it a turd?

Since all the other components you used are good, the frame makes it suck. Ok.

Except, made right, the p80 frames are pretty good.

I dont understand, this sounds like a weird flex to me. Its like when Harley guys shit all over metric cruisers.

'Jap bike POS'. LOL, yeah, no buddy its not a POS. Jap bike, yes, but POS? lol.
    your wrong and right at the same time, that being said you should see our weekly email and call list from people who think our slides are the reason their P80 builds wont run. But you are correct, if actually finished properly, they run just fine, but the average person can't accomplish that, and coupled with the fact most 80% jigs are off in some part or another, there are a lot of issues to be had that unless you know where its off, the frame will be extremely finicky with what it wants to work with, typically the sloppier the tolerances the better. we actually had a guy last week with a P80 frame that he couldn't get to run. he bought the lower parts kit with his frame, which came with knockoff parts, not aftermarket, but actual knockoff chinese shit. put an OEM parts in the frame, and all the sudden, it worked.

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    your wrong and right at the same time, that being said you should see our weekly email and call list from people who think our slides are the reason their P80 builds wont run. But you are correct, if actually finished properly, they run just fine, but the average person can't accomplish that, and coupled with the fact most 80% jigs are off in some part or another, there are a lot of issues to be had that unless you know where its off, the frame will be extremely finicky with what it wants to work with, typically the sloppier the tolerances the better. we actually had a guy last week with a P80 frame that he couldn't get to run. he bought the lower parts kit with his frame, which came with knockoff parts, not aftermarket, but actual knockoff chinese shit. put an OEM parts in the frame, and all the sudden, it worked.
    Garbage in, garbage out.

What is the P80 clientele like? Is it all your fault since you sold them the parts?