Thread: Fear

Default Fear

I've been rolling around some ideas about fear and I want the community's input. It kind of started when we were discussing "The Gift of Fear" in another thread a few weeks ago. I am a firm believer in the idea that fear is not a virtue. I also know that 2 Tim. 1:7 informs us that God has not given us the spirit of fear (so, obviously, it has to come from the other source). But, I can honestly say I've felt fear. Not to the point of crippling my ability to act -- it wasn't panic. I once got left behind on a night mission in a bad part of Baghdad. It was only for a couple of minutes, but that caused some serious pucker. When my youngest son was 2, he escaped from the apartment of some family we were visiting in a big city and we couldn't find him for about 10 minutes. We acted, he was found, and all was well, but I've never known fear like that -- fear for my son and what he may have been going through. Strangely, I wasn't afraid the first time I got shot at, or had a rocket hit near me -- it was more like a, "huh, that just happened..."

So, at what point is fear okay? Is it always wrong? As long as we're using it to motivate us to appropriate action is it acceptable? Is it not actually fear at that point, but something else?
    "Always shoot first...that way they know you're armed."
    - Orrin Porter Rockwell

Initial comment:I find fear rarely occurs in the moment. The situation arises, evolves and you handle it.

Fear is anticipatory--do I climb this building, stuff this door, pop the question--and the most apparent manifestation for most of us is "analysis paralysis."
    Last edited by Papa; 07-28-2021 at 07:40 AM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by TrailDave View Post
    I am a firm believer in the idea that fear is not a virtue...So, at what point is fear okay?
    "And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. He said to them, Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?”

I think fear is appropriate for one thing only. I think we have it so we can fear God. If we aren't suppose to be afraid in a hurricane in a small boat then it isn't appropriate.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson