Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HEROES

"All my heroes are dead and gone
    But down inside of me, they still live on"

"Heroes" by Shinedown

There is no security in life, only varying degrees of risk. Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Everybody thinks they are a hero...

Until its time to do real hero shit.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

No, I ain't Alvin York.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I once faced down a mob of angry Karens, who were threatening to eviscerate me for making the bold assertion that school teachers are not heroes.

Does that make me a hero?
    That quals in my book.
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

Amen!! 100% agreee

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

Yup.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." Martin Luther

Reminds me of Jeff Cooper's take on the topic:

"It is to agonize over the clumsy, shameful and unembarrassed degeneration of popular English. A particularly unfortunate example is the debasement of the term "hero." If a hero is some poor unfortunate who simply forgot to duck, how should we describe a real hero? As I see it, a true hero must not just suffer, he must accomplish something, at the imminent risk of his life. Audey Murphy was a hero. Sam Woodfill was a hero. Joe Foss is a hero. But these poor unfortunates who got caught on the wrong side of the bulkhead when the bomb went off were no more heroic than the deer that falls to my rifle.

And heroism is not confined to warfare. Gunsite family member and illustrator Paul Kirchner recently had occasion to interview Lance Thomas of Los Angeles, the jeweler who achieved a measure of fame a few years back by successfully repelling boarders in his store in Beverly Hills. Mr. Thomas now has a confirmed score of six kills in the simple course of business. Various people seemed to think that a man who sold watches would be easily intimidated. Not so. As Mr. Thomas said, "I am not a rabbit." Paul tells me he does not look like a rabbit either. In personal appearance and attitude he does not seem to be a good man to attack, and so it turned out. But violent criminals are seldom bright, and frequently assume that the presence of a gun in their hands renders any sort of resistance out of the question. Lance Thomas is a hero, and we may thank God that there are men like him left in our society. (Though not in Britain, of course.)"

Jeff Cooper Commentaries, vol. 8, no. 12

Met Thomas once as while his store was in West LA, he lived in Santa Monica. He would have fit well here. There is a certain swagger that this type of man has. When shot in the neck, he refused to be trussed up on a gurney and ambulanced. He drove himself saying to the LAPD, "John Wayne would drive himself to get patched up". Bravado? Maybe...but heroism rarely comes from following the rules or doing what others consider proper or acceptable.

What a study that would be...the nature of heroism.
    Gabriel Suarez

I recall a conversation with Jeff about this very thing. This was right around the time that Grady guy got shot down in the Balkans.

Cooper was astounded. A hero, he noted, was the man that shot down five planes and although injured and with plane in distress, managed to fly home, land, and have a quick drink at the O Club before seeing the medic. Not the bungler that got shot down.

Jeff had a way of putting things in perspective.
    Gabriel Suarez

Jeff had a way of putting things in perspective.
    He did indeed.
    Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
    be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
    an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.