Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HEROES

Heroism and following rules….

I know as I type this the DPS Ranger helo just took off from a remote desert roadway with a deputy on board enroute to a trauma care facility. The deputy’s vehicle crashed and rolled over due to circumstances involving the heavy storms and flash flooding on the road. When all the medivac helos refused to fly in the storm for the critically injured deputy DPS did.

They qualify as heroes to me.
    Last edited by JonathanNobody; 07-25-2021 at 03:09 PM.

There is more than one OH 58 and A10 pilot that don’t buy their drinks in my presence. Some guys “get it done.”

I recall the dialog

Sgt: I need two volunteers for a special detail

Us: Is it dangerous...we will take it!!!
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Popshot View Post
    During the Rona, hospital employees were called heroes by administrators and politicians....Grocery store employees during the Rona. I am glad these people showed up to work, but their activities were not heroic.
    I started delivering groceries in order to pay my mortgage on 4 April of 2020, right when things were at their worst. I talked to these people 5 and 6 days a week. I remember talking to one *very* overweight young man who was working 12 hour shifts at a King Soopers (what we call Kroger here in Colorado). 12 hour shifts as a checker in a grocery store 5 or 6 days a week because they didn't have enough people to staff the store, but he'd come in. He *looked* like a "play video games and smoke dope" type, but there he was bitching about his feet hurting.

Another young lady who worked the cosmetics at Target. Really helped me out several times when I needed to pull something from that section--I know *nothing* about cosmetics. She was working full time at Target because her "real" job had gone away. Again, she could have made as much money sitting home, but she chose not to.

Hospital workers are trained in the use of PPE, and they may not have had enough N95 masks, gowns and gloves, but they weren't using random scraps of fabric and over the counter hand sanitizer.

At that point the supply chains were still seriously screwed up, and there were shortages of PPE because everything was going to the hospitals. The stores hadn't figured out how to put up the sneeze barriers. In short you stood a *good* chance of being exposed.

So you had employees who stood a significant chance being exposed to what they *thought* was a life threatening illness for somewhere around minimum wage--when they could have stayed home, smoked pot and collected unemployment.

Heros? If they aren't, then the front line medical people--who had the training, had more PPE, had an institutional culture of using it, and were paid a lot more--aren't either.

But they showed up in the face of risk (or at least perceived risk) and did their jobs. Can't ask for more than that.

I don't consider *myself* a hero because I understood the risks, I didn't have the option of getting the unemployment benefits and I think I had already been exposed in late January of 2020 (Yeah, I had Wu Flu before it was Cool).

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I once faced down a mob of angry Karens, who were threatening to eviscerate me for making the bold assertion that school teachers are not heroes.

Does that make me a hero?
    Literal or Figurative evisceration?

None of us considered ourselves heroes for weighing the risks, accepting the risks, coming to work and doing the work.

We signed up for it and we got paid for it.

That we enjoyed the work was icing on the cake.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

I will say this simply - when you start adapting the visceral meaning of a word to make it inclusive, you lose all its meaning.

Doing a difficult job, makes one forthright and dutiful. Both things to be admired. The guys that clear the roads of snow, the hospital workers, hell...even the trash collectors, all do a difficult job under less than enjoyable conditions. Sometimes they do notable things that better the lives...if not save them...of those the serve. But heroes? Sorry kids...I don't see it and i will not accept that. Not everyone will be successful, not everyone is brilliant, not everyone is heroic...and the clincher to trigger everyone...not everyone is equal. Once all that is accepted, the west will return to where it should be from its current path.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Being a good person does not make you a hero. It takes more.

-- ML

Depends on the Karen.
    I've met a few who would be all too happy to kill someone that dares to disagree with them. Yet be appalled that anyone would even suggest defending themselves with deadly force.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOblivion View Post
    But they showed up in the face of risk (or at least perceived risk) and did their jobs. Can't ask for more than that.
    I think we're getting into the difference between the honest-to-Horatius Heroes and the stout-hearted men in the phalanx. Heroes are, by definition, rare. They do exceptional feats under conditions of exceptional risk. The line troops - they are more commonplace. But also worthy of respect and honor, for they are the men who carry the day.

Modern society has lost track of the distinction between Heroic, Honorable, and Craven.