Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

One advantage of the SAO,the slide stop is nearly impossible to access, even when you want to:)

Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    One advantage of the SAO,the slide stop is nearly impossible to access, even when you want to:)
    Not everyone agrees that SAO is a better system than DA/SA. With an SAO, you basically have a Glock with a safety...or a German 1911. There are definite advantages to DA/SA as I have explained in the past. Advantages that are not present in the striker systems nor the SAO systems.
    Gabriel Suarez

Columbo_875_01.jpg

Oh...one more thing...

The only reason for a "slide release" is to lock open the pistol while unloading, or for inspection by a superior officer or instructor. I've never taught its use to release the slide for various reasons which I will list below for those who played hookie that day.

1. Difficult to use with gloves unless its oversized and then it becomes problematic without gloves.
    2. Easy to miss under duress....I saw an officer chase and armed suspect with a locked open pistol because he was never taught to use the slide itself.
    3. The pistol will often not lock back when used in adaptive situations
    4. In two cases I've seen in training...the slide release tab broke off, making it impossible to use. One was a Glock the other a SIG.
    5. It forces the shooter to either assume, or to attempt to visually verify that the pistol is empty and attempting a so called speed load (see my discourse on speed loads).

Once we realize that the game fields are not the battle fields, and remove the addition of "extra points" for speedy speed loads...we can step away from the artificial need to execute them. See my video on "Reactive Weapon Manipulations". We always use the slide to operate the weapon.
    Gabriel Suarez

Gabriel Suarez

"Oh...one more thing...

The only reason for a "slide release" is to lock open the pistol while unloading, or for inspection by a superior officer or instructor. I've never taught its use to release the slide for various reasons which I will list below for those who played hookie that day.

1. Difficult to use with gloves unless its oversized and then it becomes problematic without gloves.
    2. Easy to miss under duress....I saw an officer chase and armed suspect with a locked open pistol because he was never taught to use the slide itself.
    3. The pistol will often not lock back when used in adaptive situations
    4. In two cases I've seen in training...the slide release tab broke off, making it impossible to use. One was a Glock the other a SIG.
    5. It forces the shooter to either assume, or to attempt to visually verify that the pistol is empty and attempting a so called speed load (see my discourse on speed loads).

Once we realize that the game fields are not the battle fields, and remove the addition of "extra points" for speedy speed loads...we can step away from the artificial need to execute them. See my video on "Reactive Weapon Manipulations". We always use the slide to operate the weapon."

Oh heck yes. Especially when new, the stamped slide P226 would occasionally fail to lock open no matter where your thumb was placed.

And, Mr. Bond, where is the slide release on a PPK?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

I wasn't implying the SAO is a better system than DA/SA,just that the safety inhibits accidently hitting the slide release.

For the rest of us who remember the proactive videos, or those who can't find them:
    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...hlight=reloads
    GFT.

Try to replace hardware with technique. Technique is free, lightweight, and cannot be lost.
    RGF- Greg Nichols-Milton, WI

Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    I wasn't implying the SAO is a better system than DA/SA,just that the safety inhibits accidently hitting the slide release.

OK...but some may have thought they had a light bulb moment about the SAO so I wanted to point out what they may not have known.
    Gabriel Suarez

Gabriel Suarez