Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Steel sights vs polymer sights

I was hoping you guys would share some of you thoughts and experiences about polymer vs steel sights. I presently have the factory polymer sights on my G19s, but I keep wanting to switch them out to the factory steel sights, simply to aid durability. Basically from the idea that steel sights are less likely to obtain damage negatively impacting their purpose/function if the gun is dropped, receives a pipe hit from an attacker, etc.

Is there any advantage to the polymer sights? I assume Glock defaults to polymer for cost reasons, weight reasons, and because people can change to whatever they prefer. My understanding is that the main need to switch to steel sights would be lots of holster work which can wear down the polymer sights. Are there any reasons against switching from polymer to steel sights? Or do any of you feel steel sights are definitely a good thing to pursue for the reasons I've indicated?

Read a little bit here. No advantage at all of polymer sights. Gunfighters use steel
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Scrap the plastic sights.

Come to think of it.. I know a guy who sells a dandy set of night sights for Glocks in his store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Read a little bit here. No advantage at all of polymer sights. Gunfighters use steel
    Thanks, Gabe. This was my intuition to go steel, but I thought I might check just to make sure I wasn't missing something I hadn't thought of. Appreciate the feedback immensely.

Suarez sights are my favorite sights.

We install Suarez sights for our SETX tribesmen at no charge if they purchase the sights through us at Rays Pawnshop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor
    Texas LTC Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

The only possible advantage to plastic sights is that as they wear, they stay black. However, they are more likely to break as they wear first,

I have seen several Glock front sights break during one hand drills.

For the same reason, I am not thrilled with fiber optic front sights on serious pistols.

-- ML

There is a large volume of information on sights here. With minimal effort it can be found. It is easy to say to get plain black steel sights that lend themselves to target shooting. What you don't get is all the reasons why.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    There is a large volume of information on sights here. With minimal effort it can be found. It is easy to say to get plain black steel sights that lend themselves to target shooting. What you don't get is all the reasons why.
    Hi Dorkface, I did read through info on this site about sights before posting and did a few searches looking for specific info on Glock steel sights vs polymer. I did not find anything on point. If by chance I missed relevant threads, I apologize.

I'm reminded of the LE officer we met at the CT class some years ago. The stock polymer sight on his carry weapon was shredded; ioked like a worn out paint brush. I looked at that sight with wide eyes and just looked back at him as if to say "WTF?" He shrugged and just said "it works for me".

And this guy worked in the ARMORY.

There are some excellent discussions on sights on the forum but it can take a little digging to find them.

I will simply say that the sights available in the Suarez store are absolutely my favorite sights. They are crisp with sharp angles - the human eye likes right angles (rather than rounded - which is slower for the eye/brain to understand). The front sight is thin, unlike so many fat front sights that obscure smaller or distant targets (the times fat sights are useful, often we aren't using our sights anyway because you can point shoot). And the tritium inserts are small and unobtrusive; they disappear in daylight (a good thing) and stand out just enough in darkness (they aren't so bright that they will illuminate your face).
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas