Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traditional Cossack Martial Arts.

None of this is in English, but the it is so well demonstrated that a verbal explanation is not needed to understand what is going on. Starts with a small cannon and then goes to cover many common medieval weapons. The cossacks were in contact with both western and eastern influences. From the east it would have been mongols and tarters and also the turks. I am assuming this is cossack due to the hair and also some the stealth techniques they were showing. No horses were used. The language is either Russian or Ukrainian I think. If there are any slavic speakers would they please comment.

Going by the styles of edged weapons and hair. I'd say Ukrainian Cossack's . But there may be some regional over lap.

Instead of batons the cossack women twirl swords. Many of the Cossack military traditions are being revived under Putin. The Cossacks hate muslims

Default Ambidextrous use of the sabre

Ukrainian Cossacks: Ambidextrous use of the sabre is explained and also some ways in which a sabre can be used as a shield.

Cossacks, hate every one , to include other Cossacks
    All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.

Samuel Butler

FACIEM TUAM, DOMINC, REQUIRAM

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJames View Post
    Cossacks, hate every one , to include other Cossacks
    Cossacks were infamous for killing jews in the service of the Czar as did other Christians in most other places through time. My grandfather in 1905 was a guard for a jewish temple some where in Russian empire (I think it was near Minsk) and they attacked. He emptied his pistol at them and missed. Got beaten up and the police intervened so he ended surviving it and was arrested as a political prisoner.
    Cossacks still serve the russian state that in this case is Putin and now they go after Muslims.
    Their traditional martial arts are of interest to me since most in the west have long lost the memory of these things. I am here to learn more than to disagree over someones motivations.

Re-enactment of a battle of Christian Cossacks against what I assume are muslim tatars that for years ruled the eastern parts of Russia. The cossacks defended the borders against the remnants of the golden horde that was an offshoot of the Mongol forces of Genghis Khan.

This is telling
    Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks
    https://www.labrujulaverde.com/en/20...ultan-in-1676/

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    This is telling
    Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks
    https://www.labrujulaverde.com/en/20...ultan-in-1676/
    I was informed elsewhere by a pro-Ukrainian minded poster that there were two major divisions of cossacks in the opinion of the pro-Ukrainian backers. Russian cossacks that can be called Don cossacks vs. Zaporozhian Cossacks that are pro-Ukraine. I wonder about just how true that it is. The Don Cossacks did often provide mounted irregular cavalry for the Czar and were also responsible for bloody revolts against the russians.
    But I am more interested in their weapons and methods of fighting. The Zaporozhian cossacks were depicted as being infantry or maybe dragoons in the clip above using chained wagons as their base and a lot of firearms against the horse riding Tatars.
    The Don Cossacks were absolutely horsemen and even developed a special breed of horse called the Don horse.

The first type of Don horse, generally called the "Old Don," evolved from semi-feral Russian steppe horses and Oriental horse breeds such as the Karabakh horse, Turkmenian, and Arabian that were brought to Russia as a product of Cossack raids. The Old Don was a medium-sized, agile horse with immense endurance; a result of the survival-of-the-fittest selection methods that guided the development of many Russian breeds. This hardy horse was used as the foundation for the current Russian Don, and was also used to improve the Orlov, Orlov-Rostopchin, and Thoroughbred breeds. Cossack cavalry mounted on the Old Don horses were instrumental in the destruction of Napoleon's Russian campaign, and the horses were important in proving the supremacy of Cossack cavalry over their European counterparts

Russian Don (from the early 20th century Narodnaya Enc.)

Any discussion of these folks requires a citation of their greatest work of art, so if you haven't read this, here you are:

Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil shits, and your army eats. Thou shalt not, thou son of a whore, make subjects of Christian sons. We have no fear of your army; by land and by sea we will battle with thee. Fuck thy mother.
    Thou Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow. Screw thine own mother!
    So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord. The day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!
    — Koshovyi otaman Ivan Sirko, with the whole Zaporozhian Host

Backstory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_...zhian_Cossacks
    1920px-Ilja_Jefimowitsch_Repin_-_Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks_-_Yorck.jpg
    Armed Puritan