Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    honestly ive had this issue consistently with freedom munitions. the last rifle class we did out in cowtown, i was blowing primers every 2-3 rounds
    From Freedom Munitions' reputation, I would much rather pay a couple pennies more per round than deal with their hassle. For that matter, I would rather train with Wolf than shoot reloads.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." ó Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." ó Martin Luther

I have some concern that we may see more of this over the next several years. We've seen a few ammo recalls lately. It's possible that the great rush to get the ammo out of the factory door as quickly as possible (before demand drops) has resulted in lower quality control.

I've had several primers blow out on me....mostly when I was initially learning to reload. I've never had it happen with good ammo.
    Virtute et Armis

The other thing...

When you have the epiphany that NUMBER OF ROUNDS FIRED PER YEAR NOT EQUATE TO A HIGHER LEVEL OF SKILL, the need to run 10,000 rounds yearly, and the lust for cheap ammo, loses its attraction. Dry fire, Kata, Fof drills and limited live fire may be "boring", but only for those short attention span mouth breathers that couldn't read a book if they were tied to a chair.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    From Freedom Munitions' reputation, I would much rather pay a couple pennies more per round than deal with their hassle. For that matter, I would rather train with Wolf than shoot reloads.
    There's a reason it was free

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

I had two primers come out on some loads I was testing. One in the fire group and the other on the left side of the bolt. It could have been several things as the brass was converted 5.56 mil brass, so maybe a loose pocket. The other thing was I was testing some powder coated cast 220gr rounds. I was not real happy with the powder coating I had done on these ones. Not sure, but might have bumped up the pressure. I have not worked up those loads since as I had other things going on. I also have not had any problems since.
    Common sense is not a common virtue!

Seems like everyone’s had this problem at least once or twice. I’ll be reevaluating my ammo choices going forward, making sure that anything I get has crimped primers.
    - I am not in danger. I AM the danger.

- Keep your rifle by your side.

Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post
    Seems like everyone’s had this problem at least once or twice. I’ll be reevaluating my ammo choices going forward, making sure that anything I get has crimped primers.
    last thing to look at is dealing directly with the rifle. how many rounds do you have down the pipe on that barrel and are you using an adjustable gas block?

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Did you examine the actual case the primer fell out of? That can tell you a lot. How hot was it on the day you were shooting? Was the ammo left out in the sun? That can really drive up pressure depending on what powder is used. Check the actual length of the bullet and check the actual length of the free bore in the barrel. I use the Hornady tool to do that. A bullet seated too long can raise pressure significantly if it is touching the lands of the rifling. That one is a long shot, but not impossible. More than likely it is simply a very loose primer pocket. Could be a headspacing issue, but that will reveal itself by repetition across several types of ammo. I reload, and I have yet to experience a blown out primer, but I am pretty finicky as far as brass is concerned. Loose primer pocket and I will toss the case.

Ive ben following this thread with interest because of an issue I was privy too during the train up in 1991 for the middle east festivities.

This was an odd occurrence because EOD ( me) was actually present for the entire chain of events.

We had been issued an older lot of M193 for zeroing and deployment. Yes, I was still issued an A1 at that time and I did like it. It never stopped working as long as I had it anyway.

On the range, I experienced the blown primer issue as discussed here. As it was common, instead of everyone on the range loosing their shit, it was a cluster around the hole and see wtf was going on, with myself unloading and stripping the rifle while every EOD tech on post was gathered around searching for the casing in question as I got the primer out of the lower.

Polaroids were taken, with every possible angle and the rifle, ammo, and casing w/primer bagged, tagged and sent off to the mad scientists to determine why the primer blew. I wish Id kept at least 1 picture of the casing, it was a partial blow out of the primer pocket, and the entire lot was red lined and destroyed.

So it does happen with factory ammo as well.
    Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez

War is not moral...fighting of any sort, is not moral. It is about killing the adversary. So here is the rule. Do what you need to do to win...have a ready explanation to justify it according to whatever rules you are supposed to be playing with...work only with people you can trust or work alone...then stick to your story and keep your mouth shut.

lot's of learning gems here. Thanks everyone. Buddy had repeated blown primers on his AR at a range. Tried the ammo of the same batch in his backup rifle, worked just fine. Switched backed, primers blown again. Tried same ammo in my rifle, ran just fine. I recall the rifle having the issue was 20" but I don't remember if it's a franken built or not. But once he switched to a different brand of ammo, all was well. Don't recall what ammo brand was having the issue but I won't be surprised if they were reloaded. Similar experience to post #12 by M1A and others here. Afterwards, I too bought a set of gauges for good measure.