Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 300 Blackout, Pistol vs Carbine

Have a 8" Pistol upper for 300 blackout already.
    Is there a advantage / disadvantage to having a Carbine length upper. Would be using the same lower with a SB Tactical SBA-4. Looking at a 16" Ballistic Advantage barreled upper. 98% of my Ammo is Supersonic as well.

American Veteran and Patriot, Lover of God, Country and Family. No Regrets, No Bullshit

300BLK for me is all about the performance you get out of a short barrel. Once you go up to 10" 223 starts to work.

Quote Originally Posted by USN-PO2 View Post
    Have a 8" Pistol upper for 300 blackout already.
    Is there a advantage / disadvantage to having a Carbine length upper. Would be using the same lower with a SB Tactical SBA-4. Looking at a 16" Ballistic Advantage barreled upper. 98% of my Ammo is Supersonic as well.
    I currently have a 9" and a 16", and have had some other sizes in the past. There are some small advantages to a 16" carbine, but the 8"-9" range is about 95% as good (and yeah I made up a statistic for the internets, but it more or less conveys the point). All else being equal, for full power supersonic loads there is usually a small ballistic benefit to the longer barrel, on the order of 150-300 fps, and IMO it points a little easier for rapid fire. The longer barrel is slightly quieter as well, suppressed or bare muzzle. That's about all that comes to mind though.

If I were using a barrel over 12", I'd rather just have a 5.56. That would give you ammo versatility, too. This last year should have taught everyone a lesson about shortages, and .300 BLK was perhaps the first thing to disappear.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    If I were using a barrel over 12", I'd rather just have a 5.56. That would give you ammo versatility, too. This last year should have taught everyone a lesson about shortages, and .300 BLK was perhaps the first thing to disappear.
    You sure it wasn't the 340 Weatherby? Can't find it still. I load my own. If I didn't, I'd have a nice Neanderthal hunting club in a Ruger #1. I guess you don't really have to get rid of the guns, just dry up the supplies of ammo will work nicely.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

What Yondering said. My 16 is more quiet that my 8.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Do you hunt? The 300 is probably a little better for that.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

There have been some studies done showing that longer barrels tend to degrade 300 BO accuracy. All of my 300 BO at less than 10".
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    There have been some studies done showing that longer barrels tend to degrade 300 BO accuracy. All of my 300 BO at less than 10".
    Interesting. That has not been the case with any of mine, although I suppose it could happen.

The 8.5 inch barrel on mine works better for the role I have given it. I can get good accurate hits out to about 100 (ish) meters with it and it retains good velocity with that barrel length.

5.56 works better with a longer barrel to take advantage of the powder charge it has.
    Masters in Warfare -- OEF Class of 2002-2003, 2006-2007
    Majors: Offensive Terminal Ballistics and Overseas Bovine Scatology

"Fighting (of any kind) is just high level problem solving with dire physical consequences ."
    Joe Rogan