Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yep, totally understand the catchy title. Understand why a writer does that, and can’t disagree. But That in part is also a big reason why I think the book is so popular in the industry. And that bit I find shallow. But it’s an easy title to catch the imagination and it simply and concisely gets that one important point across - don’t ignore that voice.

Other points I don’t recall in detail. I just remember throughout the book I kept having “point of order” moments. Lots of “yeah that’s true in part but...”. Some “That is a HARD NO” moments.

I read it a couple times (both times many years ago) and in both cases my takeaway was “don’t ignore the voice” and “this book could have been condensed to one chapter”.

I may be overly harsh but generally speaking I try to be even keeled with these sorts of books. Try to give benefit of the doubt because writing clearly and concisely while covering all the necessary points is hard to do. But that’s the job and for a book that gets lauded so highly, I think it fell short.

Then again, I had already reached “get off my lawn” attitudes on some things 20 years ago. ;)
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Heard it a couple times overseas in 2006/07. On patrol and saw, or maybe more like “felt” something out of the corner of my eye while riding in the turret. Looked and saw nothing so told my driver to slow down. He did and about a minute later the road 200 feet ahead of us disappeared in an explosion. Never found the trigger man. EOD said it was about 50 pounds of explosives. That much will ruin your day for sure.

Another time, I was driving and felt the need to “look right” and I slowed down as we were driving next to a farmer’s field. My doing that messed up the timing of an RPG initiated ambush and the shooter launched an RPG that passed directly under the truck as he was cut in half by my turret gunner.

I have always thought that if I hadn’t listened, Tommy Talib would have gotten a better shot and maybe I wouldn’t be here to tell the story.
    Masters in Warfare -- OEF Class of 2002-2003, 2006-2007
    Majors: Offensive Terminal Ballistics and Overseas Bovine Scatology

"Fighting (of any kind) is just high level problem solving with dire physical consequences ."
    Joe Rogan

My first memorable experience with "the voice" was when I was 14. It was a nice spring Saturday evening and I had been watching TV with my dad. I got up to go to my room, which was in our daylight basement. Our house was in the outside of a small curve in our street. As I was at the top of the stairs, about to head down, I got a very clear message to turn around and go sit back on the couch with my dad. It seemed strange to me, but I listened. As soon as my butt hit the couch a drunk/high driver came down our residential street at about 70 mph. He missed the turn and slammed into our house. My dad and I watched it happen through the living room window. (weirdly, I remember my dad being on the phone with someone who was interested in buying an SP101 he had for sale) His car came to rest on my bed -- exactly where I would have been.

I told my dad about that moment later and he proceeded to tell me about numerous times when "the voice" saved his life as an infantry officer in Vietnam and later as a mountain guide. The seriousness with which he told me to never stop listening to that voice really stuck with me. Now 24 years later, after 7 years of active military, 3 years of mountain rescue, and 3 years of LE, I have some stories of my own. The voice keeps coming, and gets easier to understand as long as you are prepared to hear -- and act -- on it.

When I read DeBecker's book a few years ago, I thought, "I already know this", and basically skimmed it. I had similar thoughts to Brent -- it could have been a long essay instead of a book.
    "Always shoot first...that way they know you're armed."
    - Orrin Porter Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Indeed...but all calls to action involve action. Imagine if we stopped listening! I tend to think that the more you listen, the more opportunities you are given. And you know - if God listens - He will bring us "the chance to do a very special thing, unique to us and fitted to our talents".

So listen you magnificent bastards...lest another take your spot.

Indeed sir. Well-done my friend.

The very same voice that told me to put in ear plugs on a SWAT mission a split-second before entry and my shots were fired. Never used them in all my SWAT years except for training, but I just "knew" it was going bad as my first steps into the doorway were made.
    Last edited by michael; 07-02-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

Intuition, the voice, whatever it is one wants to call it, is very real. Personally I don't think it matters if it's divine or mundane. What matters is how it benefits us.

Interesting and very true, we've all had our times where "the voice" saved us in way way or another, I too have several.

Thank you for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    Intuition, the voice, whatever it is one wants to call it, is very real. Personally I don't think it matters if it's divine or mundane. What matters is how it benefits us.
    Well it actually does matter but not in this thread. Maybe one day over a Jameson.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    Well it actually does matter but not in this thread. Maybe one day over a Jameson.
    It can matter, for sure. Sometimes there is “intuition” where you can debate the provenance, then sometimes there is what appears to be direct intervention. I got yelled at once with no one around, I heard physical yelling. It was not physically possible for it to have been another human. Saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
    It can matter, for sure. Sometimes there is “intuition” where you can debate the provenance, then sometimes there is what appears to be direct intervention. I got yelled at once with no one around, I heard physical yelling. It was not physically possible for it to have been another human. Saved my life.

LOL...yup. Don't tell anyone though.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    LOL...yup. Don't tell anyone though.
    True, pearls before swine comes to mind. Yelling in my ear when the nearest other person was at least a thousand yards away and was completely unaware of my situation, yeah I keep that to myself mostly. It was rather surreal at the time but I’m thankful and will never stop listening.