Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,401
    Herbology and homeopathy are like night and day.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    There is a reason why these folk medicine techniques have been around for a long time and are still practiced; and that is they seem to work! Folks would not have kept doing something if it did not. Now the question is why/how do they work!
    "Seem" to work. Most of 'what ever ails you' would/will have improved/dissipated on its own, approximately 30% of xyz ailments/ conditions will improve on its own, placebo effect. I'd say the reason they are still utilized is because they are pretty much harmless and not many are going to refuse grandma's chicken soup or mint tea or family remedy of choice, which couldn't hurt anyway.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    There is a reason why these folk medicine techniques have been around for a long time and are still practiced; and that is they seem to work! Folks would not have kept doing something if it did not. Now the question is why/how do they work!
    Every white chick under 30 believes in astrology too and uses people’s “astrology signs” to determine how to best interact with them. Just because a lot of dumb people believe in something, it doesn’t make that something legit.

    That said, there are legit natural remedies that work well. Homeopathy, however, is 100% BS.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,440
    There is a difference between herbal remedies and homeopathy.

    The first can be marginally effective (which is great when you only need a marginal effect), the second is utter bunk.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    There is a reason why these folk medicine techniques have been around for a long time and are still practiced; and that is they seem to work! Folks would not have kept doing something if it did not. Now the question is why/how do they work!
    There are three reasons that they "seem" to work.

    The first is that some herbal remedies actually do work. St. John's Wort has been proven in several studies to have a mild (positive) impact on depression. Salicylic acid--found in the bark of the Willow tree--is an anti-pyretic (helps bring down fevers). It is chemically similar to aspirin, but does not have aspirin's pain killing abilities. There is a long list of such things.

    The second reason is the placebo effect. When it comes to mild impairments it doesn't take a whole lot to get from barely non-functional to mildly functional, and sometimes a little belief is all it takes.

    But the main reason is something called "reversion to the mean". Which is to say "shit usually gets better". For 10s of thousands to millions of years humans, and proto-humans managed to live in a world of bacteria, fungus, viruses, and violence and managed to heal. It's part of what our bodies do.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    Dit Da Jow.
    You probably know this already, but for the benefit of those who don't -- some formulations of Dit Da Jow or however you say it have ingredients that you really don't want in your body -- opiates, mercury, heaven knows what else.

    My own personal rule, for what it's worth, is I won't use it unless I personally know the person who formulated it. Extra points if he or she is older than I am...

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    48,277
    Now all of that said..."There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your science"

    10% off certificate to anyone that can answer the source without googling the phrase (God is watching if you cheat you magnificent bastards)

    I have had good results from accupuncture. Usually ridiculed by western medicine, yet how many high level athletes and spec ops guys have seen benefits. And how many western doctors are still terrified of testosterone?

    What does a renaissance man do? He learns for himself before , and perhaps rather than, trusting so called "experts". And that transcends the tactical use of pharmacology and medicinals. It involves spiritual matters as well as societal matters. And even political matters.

    Would America have closed down and hid under their beds due to the Fauci Fear if they had researched for themselves? Likely not. This is a much bigger topic kids that leads into frightening areas of freedom that most are not only unaccustomed with, but that shatter the underpinnings of control that government, church, and other institutions have on the minds of free Americans.

    FIND
    OUT
    FOR
    YOUR
    FUCKING
    SELF
    !
    !
    Gabriel Suarez

    Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

    Suarez International USA Headquarters

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    5,170
    That would be the prince of Denmark, in the play named for him.
    Warrior for the working day.

    Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

    "...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

    "What cannot be remedied must be endured."

    Vale et omnia quae.

    P:20

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    48,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    That would be the prince of Denmark, in the play named for him.

    Mmmmm. Funny how so many of the modern crop of people do not know about Hamlet, much less he who wrote of him.
    Gabriel Suarez

    Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

    Suarez International USA Headquarters

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    16,581
    I have an interest in this general topic but not a whole lot of knowledge. I do have some training in biology. Just sticking to the part relative to using plants for medicinal purposes we know with certainty that they have value. The problem is if I take pine needles, or some mineral, or animal organ and use it for medicine, I really have no idea in many cases as what I am ingesting, breathing, or pressing against the body. Any even if I did, in many cases the medical establishment does not know how it works.
    We have found out through trial and error that certain illness are helped. It is not a surprise modern medicine and pharmaceuticals is what we all depend on since they are tested under scientific conditions of research and are precisely regulated.
    One problem while a lab does do extractions of materials, they can purify and precisely tell you what is there, quite often purity of the extract can remove trace materials that are of importance.
    The entire field of modern pharmacology is pretty much based originally on extracting naturally occurring substances that were noted to be beneficial. Aspirin from the willow and penicillin observed growing as a contaminant in a petri dish that was killing what was supposed to be there.
    I take fish oil that is purified and also eat fish to get some of what lost in the original extraction. I also take aspirin. For veggies there seems to be no downside in eating and drinking things in reasonable amounts that are known to be healthful.
    l keep telling myself that I am going to start eating a better diet and never get around to doing it.
    I have a relative that is a retired MD and she has respect for homeopathic medicine and since she started as a nurse she has a low opinion of the abilities of many MDs.
    Medicine is now making advances in the highly technical field of cell biology, viruses, immunity,cancer etc. and hopefully they will catch up in other fields such as using commonly available 'natural medicines' derived from plants.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •