Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AR Rifle Piston Kits

What is the communities opinion concerning reliability improvement by addition of a piston kit, and which kits might be recommended?

Thanks in advance
    jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

I had a Gemtec Halo 'can' on my 16" DI carbine and found that way too much gas/oil blew back into my face. I had a CMMG piston kit installed and it fixed this problem. Also kept the bolt and trigger parts much cleaner.
    Last edited by KarlinPhoenix; 06-25-2021 at 05:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw76 View Post
    What is the communities opinion concerning reliability improvement by addition of a piston kit, and which kits might be recommended?

Thanks in advance
    jim
    I wasn’t aware that direct impingement was unreliable….

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I wasn’t aware that direct impingement was unreliable….
    This...

If I remember correctly the military's dust test in 2007 resulted in around 800 stoppages within 6,000 rounds, with a lot of those being attributed to the magazine (this was 2 years before the issuing of the new STANAG magazines with anti-tilt followers. Keep in mind this was a specific dust test, and while having far fewer stoppages the SCAR and other rifles involved also experienced a few hundred stoppages. I don't know what the final round count was when it finally stopped working, but BCM back in 2010 was touting one of their rifles as having gone more than 40,000 rounds (assuming under largely routine conditions) without a stoppage. It may be an extreme example but I know several guys who have AR's somewhere between 5-7,000 rounds without stoppages without cleaning the gun. Regardless, if you're shooting you're DI AR so much that stoppages become a serious problem, then I suggest cleaning it.

That said, I got bit by the bug myself a couple years ago and looked into getting a gas piston the last time I bought an AR but ultimately came to the conclusions that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze because...

1) I am never NOT going to clean my rifle after shooting it.
    2) When a piston driven AR does fail, the remedial action to clear a malfunction usually involves taking the rifle apart which is far more time consuming and complicated than what is needed to clear a DI stoppage.
    3) I didn't like the shift in weapon balance.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

I dont own any piston guns. And I dont clean my weapons everytime I shoot them either.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

The only piston AR I own is a long stroke piston PWS. I didn't buy it for any other reason than I wanted it. I like that it has the same number of moving parts as a standard DI and used a long stroke piston like the AK. I have 10s of thousands of rounds through my ARs, and the only issues I've ever had were either ammo, magazine, or extractor spring related. Sufficient lubrication covers a multitude of sins with a QUALITY standard AR.

Longest I've gone without cleaning an AR is 1500 rounds in a DI that I built myself, and using dirty Russian ammo at that. I couldn't stand how dirty it was so I cleaned it.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

A buddy put about 2000 rds through his piston AR and only ran it with a can on it, never cleaned it as an experiment, and never had a problem. Internals barely had any grime on them and the piston parts wiped clean with a dry cloth. He cleaned it because it just kept working and he was curious.

Put tons more ammo through DI guns with cans and cleaning them isn't that difficult.

Both work fine.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Found this Military Arms Channel video of a BCM AR with 7500 rounds with zero cleaning, lube, or maintenance. Not a single malfunction. Enjoy.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

I do run them clean and wet, in fact they are a Drill Sgt’s wet dream when I get to the range. The only reason I wanted an AR is because of my age and the weapon weight. My running and gunning days are over, and I wanted something that had more reach than a pistol.

jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

Last edited by barnetmill; 07-07-2021 at 06:21 PM. Reason: n