Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I can't think of a single reason to go with a proprietary piston setup over DI. In the beginning of the global war on terror The military pushed the M4 into the role of the M16, which it was not designed for or prepared for. There were a few issues that had to be fleshed out. Meanwhile HK was conducting a smear campaign to tote how much better their piston system was.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend
    Pistol Ground Fighting

TWOTU since 2016

I like the idea of a cleaner running gun. I liked my SIG 556R and was amazed at how clean the receiver/bolt area was after coming home from the range. The grease on the receiver rails could last 3 range trips before darkening enough to get wiped out and new grease applied. Now I can't get parts for it anymore, if it breaks.

Well, AR15 piston kits are similar to the SIG.

Yes, the rifle/carbine receiver/bolt will stay cleaner. But when it breaks, can you be sure to get parts for it?

The DI system is dirty, but everyone makes parts for it and most of the time everyone's parts will fit/work in everyone's rifles/carbines.

I'll just stick with the DI guns and resign myself to having a dirtier gun after a range trip and knowing that parts are available (whether out of my stash of spares, off the internet, or from another gun.)

Quote Originally Posted by M1A's r Best View Post
    I like the idea of a cleaner running gun. I liked my SIG 556R and was amazed at how clean the receiver/bolt area was after coming home from the range. The grease on the receiver rails could last 3 range trips before darkening enough to get wiped out and new grease applied. Now I can't get parts for it anymore, if it breaks.

Well, AR15 piston kits are similar to the SIG.

Yes, the rifle/carbine receiver/bolt will stay cleaner. But when it breaks, can you be sure to get parts for it?

The DI system is dirty, but everyone makes parts for it and most of the time everyone's parts will fit/work in everyone's rifles/carbines.

I'll just stick with the DI guns and resign myself to having a dirtier gun after a range trip and knowing that parts are available (whether out of my stash of spares, off the internet, or from another gun.)
    Don't kill yourself with the cleaning either, a good wipe down and relube is basically all you need. Really the only time that it needs to be clean is when you are working on the gun or gauging something. I have some rifles that I've never cleaned, just lube and relube. Most of the dirtiness doesn't affect the function of the gun anyway.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend
    Pistol Ground Fighting

TWOTU since 2016

I'm pretty sure we've already done this conversation
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I'm pretty sure we've already done this conversation
    We did, but with the Army’s NGSW program I’m not surprised interest for piston systems is up again…

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."