Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The 400 Challenge

Here's another "fun" fitness challenge.

This one is done for time, so you're moving as explosively as possible. It forces repeated sets with little or no rest, so it challenges muscular endurance as well. Your cardio is spot on if this doesn't leave you panting for breath, and it takes some mental fortitude to push through hard from start to finish. Finally, it's a pretty good whole-body workout all by itself.

The faster you do it, the harder it is, so it should challenge anyone no matter what your fitness level. If you're a couch potato, you can start slow or cut the reps in half, or modify whatever you need to adjust it to your level...just keep it challenging. Those of you who are really badass could add a weight vest.

These are all body weight exercises, but you'll need something for the bodyweight rows; easiest is using your bench press bar. A couple dog leashes or similar would work from a pull up bar, though that's probably more of a challenge. Be creative.

So...the 400 Challenge:

*100 body weight rows
    *100 sit ups
    *100 push ups
    *100 body weight squats

*Complete these in the shortest possible time (rest if/when needed, it just costs you more time)
    *Be sure to do a full range of motion for each exercise (don't cheat yourself)

The exercises can be done in any order you want and however many reps you want for each set. 10 sets of 10, 4 sets of 25, etc. It's a lot easier counting if you have a partner tracking it (I set this up on excel because I'm a geek that way).

Scoring:
    400 challenge.JPG

Credit to Jeff Cavalier at Athlean-X
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

My best time so far is 9:54.

I tried starting this with 20 reps...that's easy for some but I burn out quicker on the upper body exercises and my overall time suffers. I've been able to complete this faster starting out with 15 reps until that burns out and I drop to 10. I can keep a pretty quick pace throughout at that range.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

I think this is a pretty good gauge for overall athleticism. It's repeatable, it's not dependent on weather, it's not too jarring on the joints. And I do think it's applicable to the fight...explosive movement throughout the body is paramount, and though we want our fight to be over quickly, sometimes it just doesn't go that way and muscular endurance and cardio are important.

The focus of my weekly workouts isn't to do well on this challenge...I'm doing what I'm doing regardless. But this does serve as a useful gauge, sort of like checking on your max lifts. I've been doing this one randomly over the last few weeks and seen steady improvement.

My first goal was to get this one under 10 minutes, it didn't take me long to do that. Next goal is getting it under 9. That's gonna be harder...
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Looks like a fun workout. I think I'll give it a try on one of my light days this week, instead of a mini-Murph.

It’s not a bad workout by itself. Short and fast depending on how quickly you go through it.

I have used it as a “warm up” but it’s a lot more than just a warm up. Certainly you should have more capacity for other stuff afterwards though.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I tried starting this with 20 reps...that's easy for some but I burn out quicker on the upper body exercises and my overall time suffers. I've been able to complete this faster starting out with 15 reps until that burns out and I drop to 10. I can keep a pretty quick pace throughout at that range.
    Are you breaking it up like giant sets, i.e. 15 rows, 15 sit ups, 15 push ups, 15 squats, and then starting over? Or, are you completing all reps for one exercise before moving to the next?

Quote Originally Posted by prestojo View Post
    Are you breaking it up like giant sets, i.e. 15 rows, 15 sit ups, 15 push ups, 15 squats, and then starting over?
    Exactly that. But how you break it up is up to you.

Last couple I did were sets of 15 of everything, another set of 15, and then sets of 10 til finished. Some exercises I could certainly do more, but it just gets too difficult to keep track. So keeping things same same was easier just to keep the count. Even with someone else doing the counting for you
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Bodyweight workouts, done properly, can be vicious. I got into them alot over the faux-demic since gyms were closed.

One must relearn to workout, though, as they are not like weights. High exercise selection.

I lied. That was not fun.

Nope, not fun.

And yet, it has become a little addictive to me, trying to beat my previous time.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes: