Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    That one might work, though it is still relatively heavy for what it is.

For a truck pack, something that holds a small rifle, where it's more of a get home bag rather than a true outdoor hiking bag, I don't mind the weight so much. On a big hike though, that little stuff adds up. Things like a built in pistol holster is a good selling point for some...but not so much for me. it's nice that they are using a different mole system that reduces weight.

Prior to the big hike I took with the gunslinger pack, I showed it to a buddy who is essentially a professional hiker (if there is such a thing). He took one look at it and said "holy fuck that thing looks heavy". And then he proceeded to tear it apart, good quality construction, shitty hiking design. Overbuilt, too much material, not utilizing light weight materials, etc. He told me I would hate it on the trail. He was right (I didn't have time to get another pack and I wanted to test it for myself anyway).

He recommends Hyperlite Mountain Gear. I used one for a short hike...granted this wasn't a big deal and didn't carry a lot of stuff, but it was like wearing nothing. His pack, the Southwest 3400, weighs less than 2 lbs. I don't know the material it's made of...honestly kind of feels like paper and I was skeptical because it feels like you could rip it. But he says it's very tough, and he does hike through pretty rough terrain. It's also waterproof. And it's also $350+ so...

I'm a tough guy and of the "get stronger" opinion on many things, but weight is weight. The more you have to carry, the less capable you are, and the more you hate life with every step.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

got it, all valid point. we will keep looking around to see what we can get our hands on

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

I’d be very interested to see what gear the discerning members here are using and the upper echelons consider worth selling. Would absolutely support by buying here when you have something I need.

On packs; my experience hunting well off the beaten path in unforgiving country is that while weight matters, fit is more of a factor and is very subjective. I switched from a smaller eberlestock to a bigger mystery ranch this year and the difference it made in carrying weight is huge just because it seems to fit better.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    I’d be very interested to see what gear the discerning members here are using and the upper echelons consider worth selling. Would absolutely support by buying here when you have something I need.

On packs; my experience hunting well off the beaten path in unforgiving country is that while weight matters, fit is more of a factor and is very subjective. I switched from a smaller eberlestock to a bigger mystery ranch this year and the difference it made in carrying weight is huge just because it seems to fit better.
    Also true. Fit is most important. You can have the best pack on the planet, if it is fit wrong to you, it will suck.

That said, assuming the fit is right, lighter is always better. An extra 4 pounds or more in the weight of the pack alone...the suck grows with the miles and the terrain.

Also, the more fatigued you are, the more challenging it is for balance and reacting appropriately to rough terrain. What you can navigate easily on day one becomes challenging on day 3. I'm a "safety third" kind of guy but safety is a factor. Breaking a bone in rocky terrain will suck for anyone no matter how tough they are.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Also true. Fit is most important. You can have the best pack on the planet, if it is fit wrong to you, it will suck.

That said, assuming the fit is right, lighter is always better. An extra 4 pounds or more in the weight of the pack alone...the suck grows with the miles and the terrain.

Also, the more fatigued you are, the more challenging it is for balance and reacting appropriately to rough terrain. What you can navigate easily on day one becomes challenging on day 3. I'm a "safety third" kind of guy but safety is a factor. Breaking a bone in rocky terrain will suck for anyone no matter how tough they are.
    might have found something, 2;b 0.64oz that wont break the bank. the OSPREY TALON 22. lemme know what you think https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...ALON22F20.html

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

That one looks pretty good. I have a couple different osprey packs and think they are pretty good.

That may still not be exactly what I'm looking for but it looks like a fine pack for a lot of things.

Another thing I'd like is something decent for packing binoculars. Yeah most of them come with a case but I'm not espeically happy with what I have. I've seen some nice carriers with pack straps...but that isn't so great when you're wearing a back pack.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

I can’t honestly think of anything I need at the moment, but if you guys decide to curate more “outdoorsy” gear with the same quality and utility you’ve put into your own products , I will definitely be checking out the store.

This may be a long shot, but if you’re branching out a bit, any interest in gear/equipment for junior staff? I yanked my kid, my support, and my money from Boy Scouts a year ago when they came out in support of BLM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    - Richard Rahl, The Sword of Truth

I have several Osprey packs and they were my go to before I got hurt a few years back. (Metal plates now hold most of me together) I actually have an Osprey pack similar to the one in the link. I used to hike and travel through the Rockies and relied on my various Osprey packs that I setup for day or multi-day excursions.

If you can become a dealer for them and be able to make a profit I think your customers will be happy with the product. BTW, generally only a few of the specialty outdoor shops where I'm located carry Osprey.
    Cranky Old Guy

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Army Jan 73 - Dec 79

"We don't want yellow cowards in this Army. They should be killed off like rats. If not, they will go home after this war and breed more cowards. The brave men will breed more brave men. Kill off the Goddamned cowards and we will have a nation of brave men."

“In case of doubt, attack.”
    ― George S. Patton Jr.

"If the government is the answer, then the question is stupid!"

Thing I’ve always wanted: A bag clips into battle belts, or bag waste belt that doubles as battle belt. The bag would be in the ruck sack size so bigger than three day/assault pack.

A bag that fits a 27 in rifle internal that looks like a day pack. I would also like it waterproof as I would use it on a motorcycle.

I really like modular bags. Currently using Eberlestock Warhammer with Little Brother, being able to reconfigure bag in the field/traveling is supper convenient. I have used it on trips over 100 miles covering 26 to 30 miles a day.

My problem with bags like the osprey talon 22 and bags like it, the “waist belt” is useless. It rides to high. I have hiked with many people that have gotten sores on there backs were the bottom of the bag rests. I have been using a Deuter Futura 28 for 4 ish years, use it most days (day hikes, gym bag, carry all on motorcycles) holding up pretty well. Downside is suspension system is very curved, gives excellent air flow across back, make putting flat stiff (computer) difficult.

Something I really want and have not been able to find, a good field axe. I what im looking for is a 2.5 to 3 lb head with a length of 23ish in. The edge needs to be sharp; I don’t want to have to reprofile it. I would prefer a fiberglass handle over wood, but it would have to be dimensionally correct, ie not too thick from side to side. The closes I have been able to find Gransfors Scandinavian forest axe. I haven’t bought one, I would want to see the handle before spending that kind of money. Currently using felling axe from Lowes, cut the handle to size, not ideal but cheap.
    May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk.

If we are committed to anything, it is the idea of “liberty.” If that commitment doesn’t really refer to anything except a good inner feeling, we ought to shut up about it.
    Charles L Black Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by STG View Post
    Thing I’ve always wanted: A bag clips into battle belts, or bag waste belt that doubles as battle belt. The bag would be in the ruck sack size so bigger than three day/assault pack.

A bag that fits a 27 in rifle internal that looks like a day pack. I would also like it waterproof as I would use it on a motorcycle.

I really like modular bags. Currently using Eberlestock Warhammer with Little Brother, being able to reconfigure bag in the field/traveling is supper convenient. I have used it on trips over 100 miles covering 26 to 30 miles a day.

My problem with bags like the osprey talon 22 and bags like it, the “waist belt” is useless. It rides to high. I have hiked with many people that have gotten sores on there backs were the bottom of the bag rests. I have been using a Deuter Futura 28 for 4 ish years, use it most days (day hikes, gym bag, carry all on motorcycles) holding up pretty well. Downside is suspension system is very curved, gives excellent air flow across back, make putting flat stiff (computer) difficult.

Something I really want and have not been able to find, a good field axe. I what im looking for is a 2.5 to 3 lb head with a length of 23ish in. The edge needs to be sharp; I don’t want to have to reprofile it. I would prefer a fiberglass handle over wood, but it would have to be dimensionally correct, ie not too thick from side to side. The closes I have been able to find Gransfors Scandinavian forest axe. I haven’t bought one, I would want to see the handle before spending that kind of money. Currently using felling axe from Lowes, cut the handle to size, not ideal but cheap.
    i'll be doing some digging into the packs, but this is what i have available for the axe right now

Specs
    FORTE Details
    HEAD Tempered Carbon Steel Head (c60/1060)
    BLADE FINISHING Blue Polished
    HANDLE American Appalachian Hickory
    HANDLE FINISHING Water-resistant Finish
    LENGTH 22“ / 28"
    WEIGHT 3 lbs or 1.3 Kg

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    SEMPER FI