Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little knife

Default A little knife

I spent a lot of time the last couple years with the sword. One thing I got into was the langes messer (German for ďlong knifeĒ). I found Landsknecht Emporium, a custom sword and knife maker in Hungary, that specializes in hard use historical reproductions (both sharps and blunt trainers). I picked up a Gottfried, which I have posted here before.

96C16E37-62A2-4350-A16B-9D3DD6D01E82.jpg

I have been very happy with this sword. Itís a bit shorter than a standard katana, itís very nimble in the hand, and it is SHARP. Much sharper than any production sword I have worked with.

I didnít have it very long before I decided that I wanted a matching knife. They donít offer exactly what I wanted, so I drafted a design and sent to them. Several months later (they are in high demand), I got a message that the knife is done and on its way. I canít wait to get my hands on it.

They posted pictures on their Facebook page and apparently got so many requests and questions about it that they posted answers for all to see. Apparently LOTS of people want it. Landsknecht Emporium responded that they donít recreate custom orders so sadly it wonít be available in exactly this configuration as it wouldnít be fair to the customer/designer...but I let them know that I donít care if they add it to their regular line up (itís really their design, just scaled down). They are too backed up to do so but arenít ruling it out in the future. So, who knows, maybe one day you guys can buy one.

I had pretty precise dimensions but donít have the specs in front of me. Itís smaller than what I usually cut with, but Crocodile Dundee would be proud.

A0A88ACF-2009-400C-9D75-4FB3CB8450DA.jpeg

B0C37658-F7EF-441D-A714-B82B49336BB6.jpg

307CE64A-5E45-4E06-8D02-7DC00623EE83.jpg
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I didn’t go out of my way to find historical examples, I just took what I liked from their sword design and added a knuckle bow from one of their other models. Based on the pics, they appear to have followed my specs exactly, but they did a fair amount of research and found similar historic examples.

Notice the knife on the left side of this period artwork. Kinda cool.

115661BC-BB3C-42DB-AEA2-4FA820E4B0EB.jpg
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Normally I stick to practical stuff with my equipment and training. But I have fun with large, sharp, stabby things and a guy needs some things just for fun.

As a bonus, practice with these things is not a bad workout.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

That's a good looking knife. I like it.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Hey Brent, that is a very fine looking custom 'knife' you got there. The production grosse messer is really good but your design is truly fine. I bet that it is a very quick blade to move (and stop and change directions). Thanks for sharing.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Lovely knife, indeed. Reminds me of some of Bill Baqwell's stuff, only with a bird's beak grip instead of the ol' coffin design ... both of which are very cool.

You ought to at least get a design credit if not a stipend. ;)
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Normally I stick to practical stuff with my equipment and training.
    Wondering if you find something that transfers over to foot with the pistol or with smaller blades like we EDC today.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRidder View Post
    Wondering if you find something that transfers over to foot with the pistol or with smaller blades like we EDC today.
    Footwork is always transferrable. Even stuff like the lunge, which is pretty specific to fencing/dueling, has an application for the pistol and even long gun. Those of you familiar with the Changing Levels kata will recognize a lunge in the third move of the first sequence. It's for a totally different purpose than the lunge in fencing, but the footwork is essentially the same.

But specific to the big knife/small sword, I rather think that the closest direct application is to a stick/baton/cane.

All my swords/big knives are of the cut and thrust variety (I don't own any specialized thrusting blades). I practice the thrust of course, but the emphasis of sword practice for me is the cut. Why? Mostly because it's satisfying and fun. But it has direct practical application to striking with a stick, and it's a pretty good workout.

Of course one can cut with small knives, but with small knives I mostly use the stab/thrust. There's of course overlap between swords and small carry knives, but they are very different tools used in very different ways.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Finally in hand. Can’t wait to cut with it.

180A368C-4B73-459A-9250-E42918994A94.jpeg

F9EB12BD-EA20-4C49-8718-DC182460B68A.jpeg

Messer construction actually makes a good stand for gun pics. So there’s at least one practical thing about this knife.

1E629055-9D8E-4928-A2C6-7C24B09764BE.jpg
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Nice looking knife!

Did the smith do any mock-ups before starting or just dived right in with your design?