Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Starting from zero, that 340PD sounds good - especially with it having decent sights. Especially if you already stock 357 anyway.

The 442 and 642s I have have worked great for me over the years, as did my models 38 and 49. The shrouded hammer bodyguard models are neat because you can still run it in SA when it makes sense to do so. The M38, which I shot loose, was definitely a 100yd gun.

Quote Originally Posted by M_P_E View Post
    Starting from zero, that 340PD sounds good - especially with it having decent sights. Especially if you already stock 357 anyway.

The 442 and 642s I have have worked great for me over the years, as did my models 38 and 49. The shrouded hammer bodyguard models are neat because you can still run it in SA when it makes sense to do so. The M38, which I shot loose, was definitely a 100yd gun.
    The 49 was a constant companion for years. What brought about the change to the M&P 340 was a switch to +P ammunition and the desire to shoot a lot more - a lot more. The inability to be destroyed is where the M&P 340 shines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    KEEPING AN EYE OUT FOR YOU GUYS FOR M&P 340'S AS WELL AS THE 340 PD'S, EVERYTHING IS STILL SCARCE RIGHT NOW, SO UNLESS PAYNE HAS SOME IN HIS SHOP HE WANTS TO LET GO OF, IT'LL BE A WAIT
    following

Quote Originally Posted by M_P_E View Post
    The M38, which I shot loose...
    This seemed was the Achilles Heel of the early J frames, which limited range time with the early alloy frames. The introduction of the steel frame 640 (.357 mag) in the 90's meant that you could put in range time with the .357 which has characteristics similar to the .38 Special and save the Airweight for EDC.

However; as mentioned, Smith & Wesson has evolved and the 340 M&P may have the additional attribute of being the solution to the "shooting loose" problem.
    Last edited by Cacti Rat; 06-17-2021 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Somewhat ashamed to say I ignored the J discussions in the past. But current events have opened up my eyes to endless possibilities.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    I would consider the S&W M&P 340. It’s more expensive than the 442/642 but the sights and longer cylinder make it simply outstanding.
    Longer cylinder? I thought all J's from the mid-90's have magnum length frames & cylinders, even though non-mag rated J cylinders are not fully bored through...they have a ridge to keep mag ammo from seating in the cylinder.

My circa 1979 model 37 has a true 38spl short-cylinder & short frame. My circa 1995 model 442 has the longer cylinder & beefier frame, although it is not mag-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by 62-10 View Post
    Longer cylinder? I thought all J's from the mid-90's have magnum length frames & cylinders, even though non-mag rated J cylinders are not fully bored through...they have a ridge to keep mag ammo from seating in the cylinder.

My circa 1979 model 37 has a true 38spl short-cylinder & short frame. My circa 1995 model 442 has the longer cylinder & beefier frame, although it is not mag-rated.
    Maybe. I know the .357 Magnum cylinder on the M&P 340 is longer than the one on my older 442 from 2008/2009. Maybe someone can take a photo as all I have access to are older Js and the 340.

It appears the 340 cylinder is about 39 mm in length.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JonathanNobody; 06-17-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Jonathan and Chris are 100% on with the 340. For the S&W it’s the best of breed. My J frame is the 642-1 Performance Center model. I replaced the SP101 wantabe stocks with VZ Grips. If Colt gave a flying fornication what I think, they would’ve re-released the Agent. Oh well, if frogs had wings…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor
    Texas LTC Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

Current day 442 & 642 do have .357 Magnum length cylinders - but the cylinder chamber has a case mouth ridge which leaves a Magnum case head approximately 1/16" extended and the cylinder will not close. I just checked this with my 442 and 642, and compared with my .357 Magnum 60 and 686.
    Lee

You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

Psalm 76:7-9