Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry

I tried ankle carry years ago and almost immediately dismissed the idea. In addition to the criticisms offered above, I'll add that (1) if you really burst into a sprint, you might lose the gun and/or holster, (2) when running, you feel as awkward as a dog in rain boots, and (3) you can't cross that leg when sitting down, which is annoying but not a deal-breaker.

There is a parallel idea, though, where I think ankle carry is workable: for a spare magazine. I have a DIY ankle holster that will hold one or two G43 mags. When I need to be super discreet, my go-to these days is a G43 in a tuckable holster at AIWB. While the gun alone disappears under the belt, there isn't enough of me to hide a spare mag in a "sidecar"-type mag pouch up front. One solution I came up with is the ankle mag pouch. I'm not entirely satisfied with it, but part of the reason is that it isn't my most elegant creation. I may try again and hope for better results. But I'm inclined to just go with a pocket mag pouch instead. Unless you run out of pocket space, I don't see the need to go down to the ankle. It's an option, though, for some. And it doesn't present the same degree of difficulty as carrying a gun down there.
    Virtute et Armis

Good stuff Papa, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    5. As for the FBI's recommendation, a proper ankle holster is readily useable for either hand, if you use a spear hand to access the grip. For awhile there some folks were pushing a reverse carry, muzzle down and butt forward, but that tends to print badly.
    Agreed that a good holster allows equal access for either hand.

I keep thinking that the FBI got the right memo, that a gun should be accessible to the support hand, but is misunderstanding the problem and applying the idea in all the wrong ways. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Good stuff Papa, thanks.

Agreed that a good holster allows equal access for either hand.

I keep thinking that the FBI got the right memo, that a gun should be accessible to the support hand, but is misunderstanding the problem and applying the idea in all the wrong ways. Maybe I'm missing something.
    ….maybe we should just review the source…

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    ….maybe we should just review the source…
    That is fair.

I'm usually quick at finding things with Google...but this one is elluding me. If you have a source I'd be very interested to read it.

This is unrelated, but during my search I did find an article where a veteran cop was suggesting that the best way to draw from the ankle was standing on one leg and lifting the support leg as high as possible. Um...wow. This strikes me as less than optimal.

I tend to think I am better than the average bear at standing on one leg while lifting a knee as high as possible (all that Karate kicking is good for something). But I fail to see how this method is preferable to simply dropping to a knee.

To each his own I suppose.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    That is fair.

I'm usually quick at finding things with Google...but this one is elluding me. If you have a source I'd be very interested to read it.

This is unrelated, but during my search I did find an article where a veteran cop was suggesting that the best way to draw from the ankle was standing on one leg and lifting the support leg as high as possible. Um...wow. This strikes me as less than optimal.

I tend to think I am better than the average bear at standing on one leg while lifting a knee as high as possible (all that Karate kicking is good for something). But I fail to see how this method is preferable to simply dropping to a knee.

To each his own I suppose.
    oneleg.jpg
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Well...interesting topic. I carried in an ankle rig for about a month, on my first patrol assignment in 1987. I quickly dropped that for left cheek pocket carry. I concur on the usage. The only time I ever used it was when I found myself on a felony take down and the man next to me forgot his blaster in the jail gun locker. Gave him the 38 to have a second gun in the fight.

I always kept that left cheek weapon and eventually added a second Glock 22 to the trauma plate pocket.

While things were very sporty in those years...I am not aware of any fight being decided by a back up pistol.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

From another LE friend:

I do know of an incident where an ankle holster was used by a friend of mine on duty. Very briefly:

Freeway traffic stop- three occupants in the vehicle- duty revolver with the +P+ 110 grain Treasury load.

Two simultaneously exit their vehicle- gunfight begins- my friend kills both with the six rounds - third suspect exits the vehicle and attempts to engage the Trooper ( my friend)- New York reload is done by drawing a Model 36 from an ankle holster and third suspect is dead.
    Well...the first lesson is that a modern pistol is a better tool than a six-gun as your primary. But lesson two, if you carry a back up, you ought to practice with it. Happy that it worked for this fellow.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

I see the J frame primarily as a close contact bullet injector...a bullet injector that extends the damage of a punch to the ribs, under the chin, or mouth. Yes it can be extended at distance but its primary purpose (s) is

1. Concealment sans holster in environs preventing better weaponry
    2. Forensic ballistic signature denial to the opposition (partial or complete depending on other factors)
    3. Simplicity of use inside and just outside of arm's length
    4. Use as a compromise primary, or instant second operator armament
    5. Ability to migrate carry positions based on needs. This is a weapon that is not in need of a draw...but that should be in hand already.
    Gabriel Suarez

As I travel a lot, I appreciate the ankle carry access while driving. I carry a hammered model 442 in a Ken Null ANK, for something like 15 years now. For that specific application, as well as a back up to the main gun/hand off piece, I think ankle carry works well.

That said, it is a roving gun for me in the event it’s all I am carrying. Oh, and speed strips ride in off side front or rear pockets.

Oh...I will add this.

AT nearly 61 I am in the best physical shape of my life. I tend to dress in a way that showcases rather than hides my physique. I don't skip leg day and with the size of my calves, unless I sport bell bottoms from the 1970s, trying to access an ankle carried weapon is absolutely ridiculous.
    Gabriel Suarez