Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    It's to dig a fighting hole for his belly when he goes prone.
    Wow!

The Vickers Immediate Action Drill:

-Retrieve shovel from pack
    -dig hole for belly
    -Replace shovel in pack
    -assume prone position
    -return fire

To be fair...I hear Larry has lost quite a bit of weight lately. If so, good for him.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

2C514214-8B4C-4A5B-B94E-E05ED9E2D1F7.jpg

So inspirational Maestro.

Making me work hard to keep up. (And Iím only 53!)

And this pic was last week. 196lbs. Not as lean as I could be. Been working on packing and moving for a major remodel. Lugging boxes of all of our crap up/down stairs, all day, for the last couple of weeks. Have got a few good workouts in, but the knees are just done by evening.

Eating pretty well, but need to drink a wee bit less Whiskey and Wine at the end of the day. (Or just need Brent to use me as his Uke for a week...)

As always, thank you for setting the example.

And yes, my SI G19 is in my waistband (size 32!) as I sit on the sofa in our AirBnB in a little NorCal hippy hamlet, my (almost) 8 year old siting next to me.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Complete Pistol Gunfighter
    Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Innocenti View Post
    And this pic was last week. 196lbs. Not as lean as I could be. Been working on packing and moving for a major remodel. Lugging boxes of all of our crap up/down stairs, all day, for the last couple of weeks. Have got a few good workouts in, but the knees are just done by evening.

Eating pretty well, but need to drink a wee bit less Whiskey and Wine at the end of the day. (Or just need Brent to use me as his Uke for a week...)
    Brother, I will be your uke any time.

Personally, the worst thing about 2020 and thus far in 2021 has been the complete lack of SI classes and the ability to train with my SI brothers around the country. I fucking miss it.

I have spent the last year making solid improvement but I just haven’t been able to hit my goal of 195. Highest weight I have hit is 194...I’ve been hovering right at 190. Seems like I lose three pounds if I just miss one meal.

On the other hand, it’s not the worst problem to have. Whisky isn’t a problem.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Brother, I will be your uke any time.

Personally, the worst thing about 2020 and thus far in 2021 has been the complete lack of SI classes and the ability to train with my SI brothers around the country. I fucking miss it.

I have spent the last year making solid improvement but I just haven’t been able to hit my goal of 195. Highest weight I have hit is 194...I’ve been hovering right at 190. Seems like I lose three pounds if I just miss one meal.

On the other hand, it’s not the worst problem to have. Whisky isn’t a problem.
    Just wear another gun.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Thanks for the inspiration, motivation, and implicit challenge, Gabe.

I fall into the trap of thinking that at 51, it is pretty much pointless to try and improve myself, and examples like yours are a perfect counter-argument.
    Armed Puritan

Personally, the worst thing about 2020 and thus far in 2021 has been the complete lack of SI classes and the ability to train with my SI brothers around the country. I fucking miss it. .
    Yeah, me too. We need to change that.
    Gabriel Suarez

I have spent the last year making solid improvement but I just haven’t been able to hit my goal of 195. Highest weight I have hit is 194...I’ve been hovering right at 190. Seems like I lose three pounds if I just miss one meal..
    So I get it. When I went on my elimination diet I dropped to 162 pounds...the lightest I have been since college! As I added more foods and upped my T dosages, I climbed back up slowly to 185. But staying there was a chore. Eventually I ended where I am now...between 175 and 180 depending on how much I eat. I read a scholarly piece a few months ago written by a doctor that specializes in bodybuilding. He noted that unless an athlete is "geared" (using actual anabolics*), his body will have a natural size and while he may be able to fluctuate that depending on various modalities, he will always end up there again. I think he may have been right.

Most Americans overeat, which is why so many are fat...even fit people tend to carry more than they need. And there is a huge dif between losing fat and losing weight. But many active guys also tend to under eat. I try to get three good natural food meals per day and often eat a fourth before bed otherwise I wake up hungry in the middle of the night. But I eat in ways that most would consider too strict. I eat no gluten, no dairy, and shy away from excessive fruit or anything with added sugar. I eat lots of meat and vegetables. I read the engridients of anything that comes in a box...and while I do drink alcohol, it is not as much as in my youth (choir practices come to mind). I tend to stay with Vodka and Tequila now as these are gluten free**. And I drink water like...well...like I lived in the desert.

Also it is important to stay up on your supplements. I am not referring to those dummy proof Flinstone Vitamins. I mean have an actual array of things that you take for specific reasons. Some are pharma with a script...such as Test. Others are OTC supplements that serve a purpose for you specifically. For example I take NAC and Circumin together because it helps with the Hashimotos. As well, read as much of the material that is out there. It is easy to do today and much more worthwhile than reading gun blogs and political blogs.

* On anabolics. Don't get all Boy Scout fair play about them. If you think they would help you, go for it, but find a practitioner that will help you optimize not some bro in the parking lot of the gym. I have not used them because the Test is doing quite well for me but the study of anabolics is an elevated art now and many of the mysteries from the 1970s and 80s resolved. That said, IMHO, every man over 50 should be using testosterone.

** Gluten Free. Its easy for the neck beard knuckle drager crowd to scoff at "gluten free". If bread was made like it was 200 years ago it may not be an issue...but today, it is an issue. If they sat on the shitter for an hour crapping brown liquid after having a muffin, they would change their minds. To my knowledge, the only alcohols free of gluten (AND GRAINS) are potato based vodkas (Titos makes a point of stating they are gluten free), and tequilas.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    So I get it. When I went on my elimination diet I dropped to 162 pounds...the lightest I have been since college! As I added more foods and upped my T dosages, I climbed back up slowly to 185. But staying there was a chore. Eventually I ended where I am now...between 175 and 180 depending on how much I eat. I read a scholarly piece a few months ago written by a doctor that specializes in bodybuilding. He noted that unless an athlete is "geared" (using actual anabolics*), his body will have a natural size and while he may be able to fluctuate that depending on various modalities, he will always end up there again. I think he may have been right.
    Yes, I have hovered at 185 for years and think that's probably my natural point.

I've always worked out hard, but in early 2020 I went on a campaign to pack on some more muscle, changed up my workout routine, really worked to increase my calorie intake, got more consistent and improved the supplements, started T, etc. I've been holding pretty solid at 190 for some months now and feel pretty accomplished just doing that. My issue isn't pressing the iron, just being able to take in enough calories is a part time job (I know, I know, it's not the worst problem to have).

I likewise eat lots of meat and vegetables. I eat a lot less pasta and bread than most, but I'm not especially strict about it as grains don't seem to cause me issues. Likewise, dairy doesn't seem to be a problem...thankfully because without the extra protein shakes I don't know what I'd do. I can take credit for the work I do to stay fit but my metabolism is mostly lucky genetics. I seem to be able to eat and drink whatever I want and recognize what a blessing that is.

Also it is important to stay up on your supplements. I am not referring to those dummy proof Flinstone Vitamins. I mean have an actual array of things that you take for specific reasons. Some are pharma with a script...such as Test. Others are OTC supplements that serve a purpose for you specifically. For example I take NAC and Circumin together because it helps with the Hashimotos. As well, read as much of the material that is out there. It is easy to do today and much more worthwhile than reading gun blogs and political blogs.
    Agreed. I started taking NAC when I was trying to get over Covid. One of my karate buddies had it as well but had a much easier time of it than me...he mentioned NAC and I immediately started taking it. I really do think that sped up my recovery.

Multi vitamin, fish oil, glucosomine, Vitamin D because getting enough sun up here is hard to do, workout supplements...I think I'm doing pretty well on that front.
    So many folks in the karate world say to stay away from the weights..."it will bulk you up and make you slow". What bullshit, I've never subscribed to that. I work my ass off with weights just to look reasonably fit...getting too big isn't going to be one of my problems.

Those guys did have one thing correct though, there are plenty of guys that are big and strong that have no mobility. I believe if you're incorporating the right training methods, you can be fit, strong, AND mobile throughout life.

Yeah, injury is a thing but life is risk. And even that can be mitigated most of the time.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

So many folks in the karate world say to stay away from the weights..."it will bulk you up and make you slow". What bullshit, I've never subscribed to that. .
    I remember hearing that so many times. Then I saw pics of early Okinawan karateka lifting rocks and boulders and they looked very muscular. As well I recall Joe Lewis, a 1970s-80sly karateka that lifted. This was back in the day that if you didn't hit hard, the point was not counted. He easily overpowered his peers. Strength and size are not everything, but they also cannot be ignored.
    Gabriel Suarez