Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grab & Go Concealment Rifle and Kit

There are different ways to do this of course. But this is how I currently roll with a "Grab & Go Concealed Rifle".

Requirements:
    *CONVENIENCE
    *MINIMAL KIT
    *LIGHT AS POSSIBLE
    *CONCEALED AND DENIABLE (at least at a cursory glance)

Why? I want access to a travel/dealing with the unexpected small rifle and minimal kit. This isn't a "going to war" set up, this is a "get out of Dodge, get home" set up. With the option of adding a level of capability for unexpected sneaky shit (one never knows).

The convenience factor requires:
    *Easy to move to/from the truck each night (at home or on the road)
    *Easy to grab the whole package and leave the scene if necessary
    *Able to don gear at a second location a short distance away
    *Light enough to carry in the bag longer distances if necessary
    *Easy and quick access to only the rifle at need (must be low drag)
    *Easy and reasonably quick access to the support kit

All told, the gear in the bag weighs 14.6 lbs. Damn scale won't weigh the whole package and I'm too lazy now to take all that shit out and just weigh the bag. Suffice to say, it's pretty light and I can carry it a ways if needed. It has a carry strap, and I can always remove the gear and plastic insert if I want to carry shit away from my truck.

C63473A4-EB51-4D88-86A2-49DBA4A1B6B0.jpeg
    The bag was a gift from a few years back. Made by Mud River Dog Products, the intended use is a support bag for your furry pack of domesticated wolves. It is basically a well-made tool bag. It is sturdy, well-designed, has lots of pockets if you need them (for this purpose I really don't), and the inside is brightly colored. That last bit is important because it helps your gear stand out. And of course, it's in tactical mocha so it matches most of my other shit.

The plastic insert was made by SKT Industries based on my requirements.
    *Most important - it provides faster, lower-drag access to the rifle
    *Organizes your shit, separating it and making it easier to access both rifle and kit
    *Provides some protection to the rifle
    *Provides structure to the bag
    *Is light and also easily removable

CEE5FA21-5737-41D5-AF3D-D77B249FEF4A.jpg
    Rifle is a 10.5" 300 BLK. LAW folder for fitting in a small package, lightweight (I had Yondering do some work to lighten this thing, removing metal where possible). 20 round mag, Aimpoint Micro and BUIS, QD suppressor mount, ultra-lightweight adjustable sling.

The sling is Grey Ghost. I prefer the Magpul sling, but it is heavier and bulkier. For this purpose I wanted something more trim. It's held in place by a Landers Weapons Systems sling lock...this piece of kit is new to me so I can't recommend just yet, but it's very clean and seems to work well. Keeps the sling out of the way and allows me to keep the sling attached.

4DAB7047-5100-43B4-AEA1-7F186C74BBCE.jpg
    Support bag made by SKT Industries. It has a minimal shoulder strap and a waist belt that I've got tied off.

ECE6F626-2505-403C-B735-6928A07D0493.jpg
    The bag has a plastic insert and is designed to carry 4 mags. For this purpose, I don't see carrying so much ammo. I have one extra mag, some med gear, a chem light, ear pro, a pair of pliers, and a small crow bar. I also have a suppressor (as I said, sometimes you want to be sneaky). A pair of gloves gets wrapped up within the waist belt, and some athletic tape to hold straps in place and minimize noise from the plastic bar slides.

9D61BDA8-76AB-451B-B26B-E88E3AF84500.jpg
    Light level 3+ armor. This is concealable under a light jacket. It's not even bad under a button down shirt.

5ECC970F-6BA2-4810-AA6D-EE49801810BB.jpg
    Next to a pair of size 11s for scale.

Not pictured - the bag goes in a laundry basket. The basket has some spare clothes arranged like dirty laundry. Extra clothes is always a good thing, and it provides a small degree of camouflage to the curious observer. Let's face it, if you carry shit in your vehicle, there will be lots of times it must remain there unprotected. There's only so much you can do, but a little bit of concealment or hiding in plain sight is a good thing.
    Last edited by Brent Yamamoto; 06-19-2021 at 11:20 AM.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Attachment 61590

I would normally have the sling tied up on the left side of the rifle, but this is a left hand side charger (don't give me shit, I know what I want). And in any event, it's easy to tug the sling free.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Attachment 61591

A close up of the sling lock. It's polymer and weighs nothing. It was a bit of a pain in the ass to install, but once in place it's pretty clean. It didn't come with instructions, which mildly annoyed me, but there's a YouTube video that was easy to find. Of course, after the fact, I found that the package stated "For a detailed installation video, search "LWS Slinglok" on YouTube". The video is pretty well done and tells you what you need to know.

The elastic shock cord is held in place by a couple retention screws - I am skeptical how well these will hold up over time, but for now it seems to be working well.

Is this better than a simple bungie? I don't know, maybe. It is a very clean package, but it does leave a section of elastic cord attached to your rifle after you take off the sling. I wouldn't want that on a gun if I was kicking in doors, but that isn't the purpose of this rifle so I think it's worth the squeeze.
    Last edited by Brent Yamamoto; 06-19-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Nice set up Brent. In your last two posts I wasn't able to see the picture (maybe it didn't get attached right).

That's a very low profile way to carry a grab and go rifle. I dig it.

I've gone a slightly different route with my discreet setup. I've got a 10.5" AR pistol with a Law Folder in a 5.11 Select Carry Sling Pack. I've removed the 5.11 tags, and because of the color pattern (Red/Gray) it doesn't scream gun bag. Inside I've got 2 spare mags as well as a trauma kit and ear pro in the outside pouch. The backside pouch has a level 3A soft armor insert. I've worn it a few times out in public without a second glance from anyone. On the rare occasions that I have to go to Seattle it sits on the floor of my passenger seat in my car.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who keep their swords. -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by CZ Man View Post
    Nice set up Brent. In your last two posts I wasn't able to see the picture (maybe it didn't get attached right).

That's a very low profile way to carry a grab and go rifle. I dig it.

I've gone a slightly different route with my discreet setup. I've got a 10.5" AR pistol with a Law Folder in a 5.11 Select Carry Sling Pack. I've removed the 5.11 tags, and because of the color pattern (Red/Gray) it doesn't scream gun bag. Inside I've got 2 spare mags as well as a trauma kit and ear pro in the outside pouch. The backside pouch has a level 3A soft armor insert. I've worn it a few times out in public without a second glance from anyone. On the rare occasions that I have to go to Seattle it sits on the floor of my passenger seat in my car.
    Yeah, it's annoying. I've tried reposting a couple times and it works sometimes, but then just goes back to showing an attachment. Don't know why. But you can see the pic if you click.

A sling pack is also a good set up. Frankly, probably a better set up for most people. But I was more interested in a "access quick and leave it bag" rather than a bag intended to carry the rifle around discreetly. There's a benefit either way, and nothing wrong with having a few different set ups, changing bags and kit as needed.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Yeah, the nice thing about an AR with the Law Folder is that there are countless carrying cases that can work. I've used a backpack, a messenger bag, even a simple duffle bag before settling on the sling pack. Once on a vacation with my wife's in-laws with limited space I put the AR in our suitcase.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who keep their swords. -Benjamin Franklin

What ammo are you running? Buffer and spring setup?
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend
    Pistol Ground Fighting

TWOTU since 2016

Nice setup, has me thinking I should add the flash hider adapter so I can run my Commando suppressed, and get of my butt and install the folder I have for it. Are you downloading your 20rnd mags? I recently tested out several 20 rounders for my Commando and my $300 Fudd AR and loaded them to 17 rounds and during testing I didn't feel like I was coming up short in firepower.....
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

Great setup Brent. It looks like I need to have a new project to work on.

I really like the bag, I ordered one as a travel bag for the scoots.

ETA: it should fit nicely in a saddle bag
    Last edited by Travlin; 06-19-2021 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Premature Esendulation

Quote Originally Posted by Brightlightman View Post
    What ammo are you running? Buffer and spring setup?
    Underwood 110gr

As for spring and buffer, I would have to defer to Yondering, maybe he remembers.
    This gun was from the factory but it has had significant revision since then. I know this is bad, but those kind of details just do not stick in my head.

“I don’t know what it’s called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man’s life.”
    Last edited by Brent Yamamoto; 06-19-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes: