Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    One thing that affects anything aviation-related in a significant way is inclement weather. If someone wanted their movements to go unnoticed by a drone, traveling during a major storm could provide an element of cover. They tend not to fly very well in high winds or lightning.

It’s not perfect, but no countermeasure is.

”Sometimes… the old ways are best…”
    Last edited by Wiseguy04; 05-30-2021 at 04:09 PM.
    “This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.” - Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I was thinking, "Skeet shooting is going to become regular practice for some people."

That old M12 Winchester might become more than a family heirloom.

May be a new market opening for a device that can disrupt the drones software, or something like a directed emp wave to drop it outta the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

There was a cell phone signal blocker that was popular with places like churches, concerts, etc...affordable (almost radio shack) and quite prevalent. .gov took offense at the minions having them, and they went away. Would that type of tech be of use for drone 'mitigation'? Relatively low power, directional antenna, portable...'prolly no good against your airborne claymore, but what's the useful payload of these drones?

If these were drones being remotely controlled then blocking their signal could be viable; However if they are being driven by an on board AI then it won't make any difference.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Yes...onboard AI is a challenge. Does it rely on external sensor/waypoint input to reach target? Maybe 'scrambling' it's brains would be an option. Without upsetting every micro device around!

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    Yes...onboard AI is a challenge. Does it rely on external sensor/waypoint input to reach target? Maybe 'scrambling' it's brains would be an option. Without upsetting every micro device around!
    Okay, that begs the question is there a specific frequency band used for drones? If there is, would it be possible to develop scrambling transmitter to 'brain fry' a drone's onboard flight control system? I'm thinking something similar the EW transmitters used to defeat air defence systems, but in reverse.

EW jammers...absolutely!...part of every pirate's tool kit. Though many public service radio systems are becoming encrypted, I have not heard of simple telemetry/drone controls going that way. State players may be able to use 'frequency hopping' technology, but that cost would be above the street rabble/bad guy scenario. An emp-like pulse pretty much takes away the 'portability' aspect, though a narrow beam, or highly focused, transmitter would have to be part of the package. The frequencies used to direct control drones are mandated by the FCC...on board AI relieves the user of that link, but may still be susceptible to a burst of energy...(beyond shotgun range). Need to talk to some of my old Black Crow buddies...they cut their teeth on this stuff back in the day. Sad and scary we have ​this as topic on Memorial Day...

Viewed from another angle: how might a pirate use this technology? Rather than ask "how do we defend ourselves from this?" Might we be asking "how do I use this to fill my treasure chest? How do I use this against my enemies? How can HE be left defenseless from ME?"

Not saying we should be focusing on smuggling or murder but I am saying the "defense" mindset is limiting. Look at this tool through the eyes of the lion rather than the eyes of the antelope and see how it looks.

I set mine up to do a perimeter sweep around the block and neighborhood. Auto location checkpoints and a 4HD feed to my screen. The software let's you drop in waypoints, elevation, speed, etc. Took me about 10 minutes to set up a 6 point flight path in my immediate area. A great way to scout out your environment for sure.
    -HBP
    - Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - President Ronald Reagan