Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bowman View Post
    I would want my armor to protect me, not say "look there's one over there!" if I had to somehow abandon my vehicle to break contact.
    2 basic solutions:
    A Dark grey or black hoodie to blend in with the rioters if necessary.
    B Wind braker/jacket according to your AO and climate. You´d want to use clothes which conceal the plates and make you look like a slightly (not too much) better dressed member of the general public in the area.

A will make you suspicious for LE/security
    B can make you a general target for rioters

I like the idea of using props.
    In rioting situations PRESS is probably the best approach. A high visibility vest could be discarded once you are far enough from the crowd.

If you’re thinking about the armor in a protest setting, or even during an emergency event, I’d follow the advice already here about subdued armor beneath a hoodie or over shirt. I’ve worked more than a few violent protests and its best not to be there in the first place, but if that’s unavoidable I’d recommend not drawing attention from the police or other groups. It’s important to remember that until an unlawful gathering is declared there’s no criminal predicate for FR, but the UC elements are still getting things ready for that trigger point. Exterior body armor, especially camouflaged armor with civilian accoutrements, is a neon sign over the wearer and they’re then categorized for intel. The more bling or markings the better it is later for detailed search warrant affidavits.

There is much to be said for subdued soft armor under a hoodie and a face mask.

As far as markings to gain positive thoughts from police.... just my opinion but during emergency events if you aren’t one of us, up on our radio net, and vetted, you look like an adversary. Just another reason to not be there or be subdued.

I know people like to buy military pattern camouflage equipment and be overt in appearance; however, I don’t believe they understand how it categorizes them and calls unwanted attention. And yes, everything about an event attendee is analyzed for processing priority... inexpensive ARs with Cheaper Than Dirt accessories, camouflage, facial hair, equipment, and other criteria are observed and matrixed.
    Last edited by JonathanNobody; 05-22-2021 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    If you’re thinking about the armor in a protest setting, or even during an emergency event, I’d follow the advice already here about subdued armor beneath a hoodie or over shirt. I’ve worked more than a few violent protests and its best not to be there in the first place, but if that’s unavoidable I’d recommend not drawing attention from the police or other groups. It’s important to remember that until an unlawful gathering is declared there’s no criminal predicate for FR, but the UC elements are still getting things ready for that trigger point. Exterior body armor, especially camouflaged armor with civilian accoutrements, is a neon sign over the wearer and they’re then categorized for intel. The more bling or markings the better it is later for detailed search warrant affidavits.

As far as markings to gain positive thoughts from police.... just my opinion but during emergency events if you aren’t one of us, up on our radio net, and vetted, you look like an adversary. Just another reason to not be there or be subdued.

I know people like to buy military pattern camouflage equipment and be overt in appearance; however, I don’t believe they understand how it categorizes them and calls unwanted attention. And yes, everything about an event attendee is analyzed for processing priority... inexpensive ARs with Cheaper Than Dirt accessories, camouflage, facial hair, equipment, and other criteria are observed and matrixed.
    Yet the armed protesters that point guns at people are not arrested at least in comdem cities. What is the intel being used for? Or which side is it being used against?
    Paul

The greatest threat to America is the “Sleeping Giant” not waking up,

During many of the riots aka "peaceful protests" antifa-types wore vests and jackets marked "SECURITY." There were many photos and videos online showing them inflicting, inciting and facilitating violence on unsuspecting folks.

Some antifa-types also had "PRESS" markings. I saw footage of a few of them being surveilled, ID'd and apprehended by LEO.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post

I have been watching that here.

None of my shit is marked, and I was trying to pass on to my co-worker, who actually lives in Portland, some friendly advice regarding not marking himself, but he does not have the pirate/assassin in him.
    Masters in Warfare -- OEF Class of 2002-2003, 2006-2007
    Majors: Offensive Terminal Ballistics and Overseas Bovine Scatology

"Fighting (of any kind) is just high level problem solving with dire physical consequences ."
    Joe Rogan

Sounds like you have your answer. It’s important to realize everything about you, in good times and bad, from how you stand, rapidity of breath, syntax, facial hair, clothing choice, etc., means something to someone. The intelligence value has its genesis moment in the smallest discrepancy.

Don't have anything on my kit marking me as anyone affiliated with any group. But I'm guessing my long haired and gray beard would exclude me from either side to begin with. Usually the only thing separating me from a homeless street rat is a 18" tactical sling bag with a folding 7.5" AR, 3 extra mags and a blow out kit.

American Veteran and Patriot, Lover of God, Country and Family. No Regrets, No Bullshit