Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 32 acp ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
    "Forum...
    "As for blowback semi autos of the LWS.32 type, the general rule is the heavier the slide the faster the bullet."

What?

-- ML
    Still scratching my head over that one. And it still makes no sense. I think I know what he's trying to say.

No matter. I have enough "approved" ammo, barring multiple CQB zombie events.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Any Seecamps for sale these days?

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post

Somewhere else (on the forum?) I recall a statement about the chamber “ring” used for delaying the slide will also cause a slight and acceptable compression of hp bullets. FMJs do not compress, leading to an alteration of all of the related math/physics, and resulting in elevated pressure and possible damage/injury.
    Those with better memories, ballistics backgrounds, or search abilities may be able to add to this?

geezerjohn
    That one doesn't pass the smell test.

The ring in the chamber only affects the brass, allowing it to bulge outward under pressure. It has no effect on the bullet at all.
    It definitely does not cause any compression of the bullet, and even if it did, FMJ bullets can be compressed the same as HP bullets.

Sounds like a bunch of made up reasoning from someone who doesn't understand bullets or the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Still scratching my head over that one. And it still makes no sense. I think I know what he's trying to say.
    It only makes sense if you ignore the recoil spring holding the slide closed. With no spring or friction (or the delay ring in the chamber), the force pushing the bullet forward and pushing the slide to the rear are the same. But that's not reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Still scratching my head over that one. And it still makes no sense. I think I know what he's trying to say...
    Taking it to it's logical conclusion, with a heavy enough slide, you can launch a projectile faster than the speed of light.

Originally Posted by Papa
    Still scratching my head over that one. And it still makes no sense. I think I know what he's trying to say..

Quote Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
    Taking it to it's logical conclusion, with a heavy enough slide, you can launch a projectile faster than the speed of light.
    I am not a physicist or have stayed recently in a holiday inn. I think there could be a very slight difference, but not enough to work about. For bolt gun vs a gas gun there should be a difference and cause of it is obvious. With a blowback gun, is there any theoretical change in gas pressure since in theory there should be some movement of slide-breech block before the bullet exits the barrel. If so then I could see the heavier breech shooting a little harder. One would need a laboratory to prove that.
    Below is a test that looks at a related aspect of the question. Locked breech means the breech block is effectively the wt of the entire rifle vs it in blow back when the wt is only in oz.
    Here is simple test that seems to disprove that there is any practical difference due to bolt wt. An older model (stevens) rifle that can be fired as a locked breech gun and as a straight blowback gun were fired with .22 lr from a 24 inch barrel. Only criticism is that a much shorter barrel might be different, but in this test I see no statistical difference.

Screenshot_2021-05-26 22 Rifle Velocity - Bolt vs Semi.jpg

Link to a the youtube on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALBb47wy3L0 I see Paul Harrel responded and was impressed with the test.