Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shooting Qualification - What Does It Entail?

For those of you with current or past LE experience, what does the periodic shooting qualification process look like in the agencies you've been with? How often? Round count, distances, target types, accuracy expectations, etc.? Does this differ from requirements to get out of the academy?

I'm not LEO.
    Many qualifications can be found via Google.
    Try the Air Marshall qual, it probably the hardest but not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. However there is context behind qualifications that may be lost by just "performing". The old martial arts adage "don't copy the move, understand the move" applies to qualifications.

Gabe has posted a Counter Terrorism qual, both with a printable target and speed/accuracy requirements. But I'd suggest you incorporate a lot of his pistol kata as well.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

ďAdversity introduces a man to himself.Ē

Qual is NOT training. It is making a standard, usually state minimum.

Training is training, our quals are just that, making a minimum standard set by the state, usually the same standard as the academy (who is also following the state mandate)

Go to special units and the "qual" standard is much higher, but it is set by the unit/agency generally NOT the state.

FYI I really enjoy the original FAM qual. and I still stop by the range every couple of weeks (now about once a month with ammo issues) put of a Howe hostage target, pull my rifle out of the unit and shoot the targets as quickly as I can with both pistol and rifle .

This lets me know my zero is still good, and gives direct feedback on capability, driving confidence in both equipment and skillset.

Target in question, there are "Safe" areas within the hood that you cant see a shooting distance (faint outline of head inside hood) you can also shoot it with "cant" to get height over bore calculations tight in your head.

https://shop.actiontarget.com/conten...ing-target.asp

I guess to actually answer the question
    50rds pistol, distances from 3-15 yards with one timed reload. 70% minimum passing per state requirements below

https://casetext.com/regulation/texa...y-requirements
    Last edited by coastalcop; 04-13-2021 at 05:50 AM.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

reddot-ctu-target-1.jpg

RD/CT Pistol Qualification

25 Yards: 3 Rounds to the face-4 seconds 3X- 9 rounds
    15 Yards: 3 Rounds to the face-3 seconds 3X-9 rounds
    10 Yards: 3 Rounds to the face-3.5 seconds 2X- 6 rounds
    7 Yards: 3 Rounds to the face -3 seconds 2X- 6 rounds
    5 Yards: 3 Rounds to the face -2.5 seconds 2X- 6 rounds
    3 Yards: 3 Rounds to the face -2.0 seconds 2X- 6 rounds
    10 Yards to 3 Yards-Shooting on the Advance-4 rounds face 2X 8 rounds total.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Hah....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

This was our SWAT pistol qual from 7 (seven!) years ago:

1. 35 yard line:10 rounds kneeling or standing with barricade, from standing, 30 seconds
    2. 25 yard line: 5 rounds kneeling with barricade, from standing, 10 seconds
    3. 15 yard line: 5 rounds standing, 10 seconds
    4. 10 yard line: 5 rounds standing, 6 seconds
    5. 7 yard line: 5 rounds standing, 6 seconds
    6. 5 yard line: 5 rounds standing, 6 seconds
    7. 3 yard line: 5 rounds standing, 4 seconds

All from our Safariland level three plastic. The 35 yard score was noted but not included in the score(!).

BLEA target.jpg

This target. Bowling pin hits counted as 10 points each. 90% required to pass.

I shot my first qual with a Colt 1991A1 with 1911A1 grips, safety, mainspring housing and trigger.

Seems pretty leisurely now. There's one reason a 60 year old grandpa qualified for SWAT.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

This reminds me that I need to do a slingshot qualification. Iím pretty sure I can pass the Alaska State Trooper qual with a slingshot. Though I suppose Iíll be breaking regulation by holding my reloads in my mouth. I keep forgetting to actually put it to the test and see. Maybe this weekend.
    Virtute et Armis

Skip the slingshot entirely. Just spit the marbles down range.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

I think it has changed now but the DOE handgun course was 60 rounds from 3 yards to 50. (3,7,10,15,25,50)
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Skip the slingshot entirely. Just spit the marbles down range.
    I could definitely qualify by just throwing the pellets, but I couldn't meet the "power factor" requirement that way. Maybe if I threw golf balls instead....
    Virtute et Armis