Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    At the age of 58 after having tried almost every form of cardio out there I've settled on high intensity Hill training .Find a hill about 100 yards long and steep .Sprint up it, walk back down. Repeat for 20 minutes.The angle forces you to forefoot strike reducing any impact and it's an awesome cardio workout that doesn't take an hour.
    I like that idea, my days of long distance running are over, I'm with Gabe, sprints are what's needed.

Galloway's method sounds like a variation on "scout pace." Run walk run walk to cover ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Me too. 10 to 20 min of this equals an hour of anything else.
    Admittedly what really sold me on the concept was a book I read several years ago called" combat fit", written by some guy whose name I can't quite remember. Ok LOL
    Last edited by krav51; 05-15-2021 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Me too. 10 to 20 min of this equals an hour of anything else.
    Admittedly what really sold me on the concept was a book I read several years ago called" combat fit", written by some guy whose name I can't quite remember. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    Galloway's method sounds like a variation on "scout pace." Run walk run walk to cover ground.
    This. And something called, forgive me, "Fartlek."
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

I have a high school just down the street. Evenings I'll go to the 400 meter track. My routine here is to warm up and hit the track. I jog/shuffle the 100 meter round section; when I approach the straight I break into a 100% sprint. When I reach the next round I shuffle/jog for recovery purposes, then break back into a sprint when I hit the next straight. Repeat jog-sprint-jog-sprint and count the laps.

I don’t discourage anyone from exercising, regardless of the type. Me personally I’d rather get punched in the balls than run on a treadmill or even jog outside. Sprints and sandbag conditioning workouts are what I do for cardio. Since I don’t push the super heavy weights around as often as I used to, some workouts I will rest no longer than 15 seconds between sets. It requires lighter weight, but it certainly gets the heart rate up!

Sprints, about 85% for 100 yards and walk back for recovery. I live on a God forsaken hill 110 yards long and easily 45 degrees. I wear that bitch out too, but a sprint on it is more setting a pace and not backing off. Another option is walking with a slosh pipe or medicine ball. Steady state for ease on joints and work the piss out of the pipe or med ball. When I had the Wuhan Flu and cardio was hurting, I did sand bag carries while my family ran.

Spent 2-3 hours chopping fallen timber today so I was whupped before I started to run. Couldn't bring myself to walk until I had two and a half miles in, then walked two quick laps for .6 mile, long strides for the stretch. Not quite what Galloway had in mind.

Maybe tomorrow.

And yeah, I'd rather be punched in the nuts than run.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

I’ve never been a great runner. I have bad knees and I’m bored out of my mind after about 2 miles. I recently bought a hydro rowing machine, no impact on the joints, great cardio workout, and builds strength in 85% of the body’s muscles at the same time. Still can get a little tedious but I’ll usually do 10 minutes before and after my weight training.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    - H.L. Mencken