Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Galloway Running Method

As I have aged my running has been impacted by overall soreness and pain in my legs, primarily calves and hamstrings. I'm usually fine on the run itself, but afterwards the soreness sets in and can last several days. Sometimes my legs were so weak I could barely stand or walk. Months of research and trial and error with supposed fixes only proved to me that most research and articles are aimed at helping 20 year olds. If you are over 50 your special requirements are ignored by almost everyone.

Then I found Jeff Galloway. He is a 75 year old former Olympian who wrote several books and developed what is called The Galloway Run Walk Run method.

It focuses on 30 second walk breaks during a run. That 30 seconds gives your muscles time to flush out the lactic acid and recover. The heart and joints also get a recovery break.

I'm in my 4th week of experimenting with this and my legs are feeling better. No more extreme pain after a run or the day after. There is still some soreness, but at a more tolerable level.

My current formula is Run 4 minutes - Walk 30 seconds.

It seems to work best for me and has not impacted my overall pace. The 30 seconds of walking allows me to run at a faster pace for the next 4 minutes without even trying too. It just happens.

Also, on a day when I am tired (for other reasons) and should not even be running, I can still easily run 6 miles at a slower than normal pace using this method.

I've also tried Run 3 min - Walk 30 seconds and found it works well, but leaves me too winded as I pick up the pace too much! I'll try it again later as I am enjoying the benefits of R4/W30 too much for now.

Other options are R2/W30, R1/W30, and even Run 30 seconds and Walk 30 seconds. Older versions that included walking for more than 30 seconds appear to have fallen out of favor as it does not appear to help recovery more and can make it harder to start running again.

Cadence and Stride are also important. As you get older your leg muscles do better with shorter strides and less foot lift. You can make up the speed with a quicker cadence. Maybe even go faster. Galloway recommends a shuffle. I have tried the shuffle but for the moment prefer to modify my stride to a lesser degree.

Much more is explained in his books and on online forums. These are the basics of the method I have been experimenting with since April.

Here is a video of the shuffle:

Books
    GallowayBooks.jpg
    Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 05-14-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks for this. I'll give it a shot. I don't generally go over 6K, usually just over 4K, because I don't want to replace my wonky knees.

Ran yesterday, feeling it today. I'll try this tomorrow, but I'm wondering how well this would work with longer running intervals, say eight minutes or so.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

I think 8 minutes is way beyond the recommended time, but would still have some recovery benefit.

Joint Collagen cured most of my knee pain. Before I started taking it I was wearing a knee brace or compress, sometimes even for a walk.

I tell you what this sounds interesting.
    I've not mentioned it before but my feet and knees have gone to pot over the last 3 years due to nerve damage of the autonomic nerve system.
    But I decided after Covid 19 recovery to say fuck it with the pill pushers & saw bones and work on developing my own rehabilitation method for me. Don't get me wrong my primary care doctor is backing me just some of the orthopedic sports med people seem not to care much unless it's something to operate upon.

I'll be implementing some of this when I get back to that stage..

Interesting. So my POV. Back in the old days, we would run 3, 5, 10 miles. It was the SpecOps/SWAT thing.

Today, I have not run farther than 2 miles. I focus more on sprints, and not on anything related at all to long distance running. I can show an image of the typical sprinter...muscular and strong, compared to the typical long distance runner...gaunt, thin, and weak. The exercise you choose has a direct impact on you...be careful in your choices.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Interesting. So my POV. Back in the old days, we would run 3, 5, 10 miles. It was the SpecOps/SWAT thing.

Today, I have not run farther than 2 miles. I focus more on sprints, and not on anything related at all to long distance running. I can show an image of the typical sprinter...muscular and strong, compared to the typical long distance runner...gaunt, thin, and weak. The exercise you choose has a direct impact on you...be careful in your choices.
    Absolutely. I run, armed, against the day when I need to head to the sound of the guns or to chase someone down and I have no vehicle or fuel or a road to use them. I take along three large active dogs who need the exercise.

My then-doc told me to stop running after my back surgery in '88. But raising two active sons, staying in shape to meet academy--and later SWAT--standards required that I ignore his advice.

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

Thanks for sharing. I'll give it a try, I don't run a lot but when I do I prefer trail runs. At 44 a 3 mile run will leave me with hip and knee pain for about 3 days.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

At the age of 58 after having tried almost every form of cardio out there I've settled on high intensity Hill training .Find a hill about 100 yards long and steep .Sprint up it, walk back down. Repeat for 20 minutes.The angle forces you to forefoot strike reducing any impact and it's an awesome cardio workout that doesn't take an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    At the age of 58 after having tried almost every form of cardio out there I've settled on high intensity Hill training .Find a hill about 100 yards long and steep .Sprint up it, walk back down. Repeat for 20 minutes.The angle forces you to forefoot strike reducing any impact and it's an awesome cardio workout that doesn't take an hour.
    Me too. 10 to 20 min of this equals an hour of anything else.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

The APFT, in effect now as far as I know, still includes a two mile run, partly to develop and maintain "mental fortitude."

I'll keep that in mind today...at least I'm running on gravel and grass, and about 110 yards of each .3 mile "lap" is a up a 10% grade.

Vale et omnia quae.