Default .300 Blackout Optic Question

I currently have a Noveske 10.5” pistol I run suppressed with an Aimpoint Micro. I want to get a magnified optic for it. I’d like to hear some opinions/suggestions from people. I am currently leaning towards a Vortex 1-6 but have just started my research. I’d appreciate feedback from those who have already gone down this path. Also, the gun is a general purpose weapon I will always run suppressed with subsonics or some faster “hog hunting” rounds. Please include mount suggestions.

Personally I own Vortex optics, they are okayish.
    I had a chance to play with some Athlon optics a while back and I'll probably go that route before I bought another Vortex.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

I've been running a Leupold 1-4 for a few years now in an ADM mount.

Unless its changed Vortex are heavy side.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

The Primary Arms GLx 2X Prism with ACSS CQB-M5 7.62x39/300BO Reticle is an interesting optic. I bought one and It is dead simple with not a lot to break using etched glass, fixed magnification and illumination. I particularly like the ACSS reticle and what it gives you for ranging and a 300 BDC. It is 2X fixed which is a compromise. It is okay for short work and okay for longer work it does not excel for either. You are looking for a General purpose scope, so it might fit your needs.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-62x39-reticle

Attachment 61434PA-GLX-2XP-ACSS-7.62_11 (1).jpgPA-GLX-2XP-ACSS-7.62_12 (1).jpgopplanet-primary-arms-glx-2x-prism-with-acss-cqb-m5-5-56-308-5-45-reticle-black-710010-r-7.jpg
    Don Marbach
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy

Quote Originally Posted by CaptShack View Post
    The Primary Arms GLx 2X Prism with ACSS CQB-M5 7.62x39/300BO Reticle is an interesting optic. I bought one and It is dead simple with not a lot to break using etched glass, fixed magnification and illumination. I particularly like the ACSS reticle and what it gives you for ranging and a 300 BDC. It is 2X fixed which is a compromise. It is okay for short work and okay for longer work it does not excel for either. You are looking for a General purpose scope, so it might fit your needs.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-62x39-reticle

Attachment 61434PA-GLX-2XP-ACSS-7.62_11 (1).jpgPA-GLX-2XP-ACSS-7.62_12 (1).jpgopplanet-primary-arms-glx-2x-prism-with-acss-cqb-m5-5-56-308-5-45-reticle-black-710010-r-7.jpg
    I think this one is a reasonable option and IMO a much better choice than anything Vortex. (Meaning you've got less chance of needing to use the warranty.)

I've gone through the same search as the OP for my 300 Blk rifles. What's needed IMO is a light weight fixed 3x-4x with a mil reticle. Nothing fancy, and it wouldn't even need turrets although I'd be happy with an elevation knob. Seems like too many of the otherwise "good" options are heavy enough to put a light carbine off balance. Not talking about it being too heavy to carry, but it sucks to have to mount 2 lb of optic on a nice light 5-6 lb rifle for short range use, and this application can use a simple fixed optic to good effect.

I'll also point out that it depends on the application; given the relatively short range envelope of the Blackout, if a guy is hunting exclusively with supers I think a decent 3x Leupold hunting scope works fine. The trajectory is flat enough within it's effective range that you can just zero it at 150 or 200 yd and forget it. When you've got subsonics in the mix though it changes things, and IMO that's where you need at least a good mil reticle, or a turret; one way or another you need to be able to compensate for the rainbow trajectory. Subsonics don't lose as much speed as high velocity loads so they can be nearly as effective at 150 yards as at 10 yards, but hitting the target precisely is the challenge.

Personally I've just settled on using a 3-9x Mark AR (because the 1.5-4x version doesn't have a real mil reticle, the graduations are too coarse to be useful) on my 300 Blk rifles when I think I need it, but keep a red dot mounted most of the time. I liked that Mark AR series for being light weight but having a decent mil/mil setup; too bad they are discontinued but the VX-R Patrol is still available for a little more weight and cost.

I have a Sig Sauer Bravo 5 which I like a lot. Look it up, as well.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"