Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    TEXAS THIRD COAST
    Posts
    4,729
    Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I've been waiting for someone like you to chime in. I've never shot a Manurhin, so I don't really know what all the fuss is about. I've shot a few old Pythons, and enjoyed them, but the only wheel guns that I've held onto are a 686 and a 642. The little one is for discretion. The big one is just for fun.

    The MR73 definitely looks like an Italian supermodel, but one is unlikely to find its way into my modest arsenal. I think I paid $225 for my 686 (those are early 90s dollars), and it's one of the best examples of that model that I've come across. I also wear an old Casio, though. But if you buy one of these, I'll definitely ask to shoot it the next time I'm in Orange.
    I don't deserve one yet...
    I'm wearing a G Shock today as well.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor
    Texas LTC Instructor

    The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

    I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

  2. #22
    It is said these things have a service life of like a quarter of a million rounds. Of full-bore magnums.

    I don't think I'm going to get one. I'm pretty sure. I think. But that number has my attention.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    Some of you have never shot one of these revolvers nor know the history of them and it shows. Just like Omega, Rolex, and Suarez International RDS pistols not everyone deserves one. The MR73 revolvers are known for the strength of a GP100, the smooth handling of a S&W K frame, and the accuracy of a Colt Python. Matter of fact, the French Gendarmerie wanted to use the Colt Python because of it's accuracy, but it was found to be too fragile.
    While my original post was, basically, a paraphrased version of the press releases, I was hoping some of you would dig beyond Beretta's high asking price, and appreciate the workmanship and history behind this revolver. The requirement of handling 150 full house .357 Magnum rounds every single day for many years speaks volumes about both the revolver and the GIGN. Forgotten Weapons posted a video several years ago with a GIGN 8" barreled sniper variation of the MR73.

    I am not surprised that Jon is one of those men who understands and appreciates the MR73 and I am glad he added an eloquent reply.
    Lee

    You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

    Psalm 76:7-9

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    I've looked for one of those for the past three decades, when I finally had the money for one. It's a unicorn as far as I'm concerned.

    I do have a nice 2.5 blued S&W 19 ... wif a Tyler T-Grip, of course. lol It looks like new, and I hardly ever shoot it. ;) It's one of my TV guns, like in the Seven Ups, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, The French Connection, Shaft, Freebie and The Bean, Hickey and Boggs, etc.

    That Model 27 is still sweet, tho.
    No less than ten of them on GBR today, lowest bid of $805 for a one that was rode hard and then quickly on up into the 4K range.
    Last edited by Papa; 05-12-2021 at 11:27 AM.
    Warrior for the working day.

    Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

    "...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

    "What cannot be remedied must be endured."

    Vale et omnia quae.

    P:20

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    Some of you have never shot one of these revolvers nor know the history of them and it shows. Just like Omega, Rolex, and Suarez International RDS pistols not everyone deserves one. The MR73 revolvers are known for the strength of a GP100, the smooth handling of a S&W K frame, and the accuracy of a Colt Python. Matter of fact, the French Gendarmerie wanted to use the Colt Python because of it's accuracy, but it was found to be too fragile.
    Lol

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    Some of you have never shot one of these revolvers nor know the history of them and it shows. Just like Omega, Rolex, and Suarez International RDS pistols not everyone deserves one. The MR73 revolvers are known for the strength of a GP100, the smooth handling of a S&W K frame, and the accuracy of a Colt Python. Matter of fact, the French Gendarmerie wanted to use the Colt Python because of it's accuracy, but it was found to be too fragile.

    This. The MR73 has a reputation in ISSF circles as a superb gun for International Centerfire...meaning that it will deliver 10 shots into a 1-inch group at 25 meters. Good trigger, too. Kindly note that the trigger comes with an adjustable overtravel stop. This is a gun you sell your Python to buy. Especially since you're paying for the gun, not the name on it...like some high-dollar 1911s I can think of (take a look at a top-end Bullseye 1911 for a realistic ceiling).

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    This. The MR73 has a reputation in ISSF circles as a superb gun for International Centerfire...meaning that it will deliver 10 shots into a 1-inch group at 25 meters. Good trigger, too. Kindly note that the trigger comes with an adjustable overtravel stop. This is a gun you sell your Python to buy. Especially since you're paying for the gun, not the name on it...like some high-dollar 1911s I can think of (take a look at a top-end Bullseye 1911 for a realistic ceiling).
    Competition guns dont count in terms of being 'worth' the price tag; people will pay big money for a .01% competitice edge. As a collectors item, the price tag is also irrelevant; if you want it, you want it. That needs no real justification of you have the money to burn.

    As a serious use gun, however, something that you would train with and use for real life..... this is a harder sell. If you MUST have a revolver for reasonz and everything else is legitimately sub-standard for you, then sure.

    Forking over 3k over the price tag for a smith or a ruger that do the exact same thing because 'uber trigger' or accuracy that is not realistically obtainable outside a controlled range session is, I believe, money unwisely spent.

    The only real sensible reason to buy one is for the EXACT same reason one buys a higher end Rolex or 24k gold Zippo.

    Its a social flex.

    Problem here, almost no one will recognize the flex because it is just some weird grandpa gun to most.

    In the day where most would consider a quartz Fossil watch to be fancy, or simply OWNING a suit (much less a properly tailored suit of high materials) is considered topr tier by most, this just seems like a wasted effort.

    Everyone recognizes an expensive car, even if theyre not car people.

    This gun...... idk. Id rather buy a boob job for my lady and show them off around town than this. Everyone likes nice boobs.

    But, some people like to buy 100 dollar cigars and smoke them by themselves, too, so whatever I guess.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post
    Forking over 3k over the price tag for a smith or a ruger that do the exact same thing because 'uber trigger' or accuracy that is not realistically obtainable outside a controlled range session is, I believe, money unwisely spent.

    The only real sensible reason to buy one is for the EXACT same reason one buys a higher end Rolex or 24k gold Zippo. .
    I think you could justify it on the basis of this being a lifetime buy, almost no matter who you are (assuming what is usually said about these guns is true).

    I'm reaching the age where a Highpoint .380 is a lifetime buy but, again, if what is said about them is true, this model is a lifetime buy if you get it the day you turn 21.

    I'm still not really considering buying one but I would have an easier time with that if you guys would get out of my head.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,592
    Someone once asked Louis Armstrong to define Jazz. He answered, "If you have to ask, you ain't never gonna understand."
    Armed Puritan

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Prescott
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    I don't deserve one yet...
    I'm wearing a G Shock today as well.
    Lol, if you feel like picking one up, i'll trade you my dw 15-2 pistol pack for it

    Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •