Thread: Helmet upgrades

Default Helmet upgrades

Going through some of my kit and decided to upgrade my helmets, one an old Pasgt and the other a standard ACH. Things I really disliked about each. The Pasgt retention system sucks, and gave me a headache after a while, and the chinstrap allowed just a little too much wobble. The ACH was okay, as long as the pads didn't get old and wet and turn into bricks, necessitating new pads. Went searching for different types of foam padding. Did quite a bit of searching and nothing was quite right. Couple of days ago was in one of the outbuildings and a PSA rifle shipping carton fell down open. Hmm, grey foam padding. Hey, it's free. I installed one of the improved headband/neckband strap sets on the ACH and cut pads out of the grey foam. Totally different helmet. Improved comfort and fit 100%. Next came the Pasgt. I gutted it completely. The improved chin strap version would not fit the holes in it, so I installed the older type four point strap system, which worked fine. I experimented with a couple of versions of foam liner. The second version I cut using the crown pad of the ACH as a starting point, and worked outward from there. Once again, completely different feel. Fit me like a glove and the single piece, once put in place, is very secure. Both helmets passed the slightly below 90 degree tilt test with the chin strap unbuckled. I just wonder how durable the foam really is. At least I have two helmets that I can use, if I have to, that won't give me a headache.

Quit trying to hobo rig old gear and just get a new helmet that's lighter and more comfortable

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    Quit trying to hobo rig old gear and just get a new helmet that's lighter and more comfortable
    Stop giving an old man a hard time. I like old things and giving them new life. Besides, if it ever falls in the pot, likely the only thing that will be on my head is a boonie hat.

Nothing wrong with giving old things new life, but kevlar has a shelf life and it's worst enemy next to projectiles is time. That, and egg crate foam isn't dense enough to do shit for a concussive impact

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI