Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    regarding the locking block - the portion of the mechanism is crucial since it can, for lack of better explanation, completely fuck up the function if the contact angle is off even a degree. i spent about 4 months trying to fit one of our slides and get it to run on rock islands aluminum lower, mostly because i was stubborn, but also because i wanted a 34 with no recoil. it was an absolute pain in the ass due to their proprietary locking block.

as far as getting a new one, i would stay away from any aftermarket locking blocks. OEM PART NUMBER IS 7894

this is the area in question
    exracer slide.png

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Priceless tip on the locking block, I will be following your advice and see what difference that makes. I think the Nomad kit has contributed to my difficult learning curve.

In the meantime, do you have any feedback on the extractor observations?

When I have some time to think I will take a closer look at the area you've noted, thank you for taking the time to highlight it. Once I eliminate these variables we will see where we are.

ONCE ITS RUNNING AS IT SHOULD REVISIT EXTRACTION, BUT TYPICALLY IF THE SLIDES MOTION HAS BEEN STUNTED ENOUGH, EXTRACTION WILL LIKELY BE PROBLEMATIC, ONCE CYCLING WITHOUT A HITCH THOUGH, IT SHOULD STABILIZE

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Post Next set of problems...

I've ordered the TAC, looking forward to trying that. Also ordered everything else I need to complete the 2nd 547 build including an OEM locking block. I have everything for the slide except barrel and recoil so I put together what I could to give it a try. I immediately have several issues:

1. The 2nd slide, the melonite slide, has a bit of a matte finish. This is a nice aesthetic but it is slightly stickier than the NP3 slide. The issue comes up later.
    2. The SI maritime striker spring cups bind in the striker channel pretty bad in both slides but a bit worse in the melonite. It barely moves. My old SI striker assembly, presumably with OEM cups, works fine in both, again slightly worse in the melonite slide. I have ordered some OEM cups to try but I am concerned this is going to essentially reduce the striker energy in the melonite slide and lead to light strikes.
    3. The new SI embossed steel backplate left channel is not wide enough to clear the ejector section. The old SI printed logo backplate works fine. The TAC comes with I guess an OEM backplate, hopefully that will work.
    4. Non-SI issue: bought a Ghost bullet slide stop lever that gets caught on the frame, the channel isn't wide enough. Will have to contact Ghost for that and maybe find another lever.
    5. The new SI ejector on the melonlite slide seems to have less resistance when I do the dummy round in chamber test. I swapped ejectors and now they both seem similar. I will try to polish them up at some point and see if that doesn't smooth out, it seems like that grinding feel is sapping badly needed recoil energy.

I still need to find some time to break the edge you pointed out. I'm about $3K into this project so I hope I can get this all worked out and regain my confidence in these pistols.

ok youre starting to overthink it a little too much. if you're using the striker springs that we provide they're 6#s. all maritime cups are meant to create less drag due to considerably less surface area if they're new, then yes compared to an older set of oem cups, of course you're going to feel them more, but it will be irrelevant with the 6# striker spring.

the steel back plates - all you have to do is wiggle the slide on the frame a little and presto, it works its way around the housing unit. there is no effect when cycling the slide since its moving rearwards.

we do not make ejectors, never have. i don't know what you plan on polishing, but i assume you mean extractors, leave the edge alone, they are cut to a specific angle.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    SEMPER FI

Perhaps I am overthinking this, but I have a serious unresolved issue and and getting concerned I am going to have 2 $1500 paperweights. I guess worst case I can send them to SI for a look if I absolutely cannot figure this out. Probably something dumb I am not understanding.

I'll know more when my OEM cups come in, but what I'm saying is the SI striker with new SI maritime cups and a Zev sleeve are nearly stuck, they barely move. A 6# spring vs stock 5.5# makes no difference. Something is definitely wrong here.

If I wiggle the new backplate enough it does get past the housing unit. So I guess that will work. I still have the Nomad unit which might not be OEM so could be slightly out of spec. Will see how it does with the TAC.

Yes, I meant extractor. There is a grind there between the shell and extractor edge. There is some friction somewhere that is causing FTE. I'll know more when my OEM locking block comes in if I am feeling the extractor or the locking block. In a week or two I will have two complete 547s and comparisons will be easier.

We will make them right regardless of what the issue is.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

WHEN YOU SAY ZEV SLEEVE, DO YOU MEAN STRIKER SPACER SLEEV OR DO YOU MEAN CHANNEL LINER?

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    SEMPER FI

Thumbs up I think we are almost there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    We will make them right regardless of what the issue is.
    Thank you, I seriously appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    WHEN YOU SAY ZEV SLEEVE, DO YOU MEAN STRIKER SPACER SLEEV OR DO YOU MEAN CHANNEL LINER?
    This is a big learning curve, I jumped into the deep end of the pool. I just figured out that Gen5 SI slide have the channel liner machined in so I mean the striker sleeve.

Some OEM parts and my 2nd POF frame have come in and this is what I have discovered: The Zev sleeve does not fit the SI striker. The hole is too small and that is what was causing most of the binding. Put on an OEM sleeve and the striker moved much more freely. This was 90% of the binding. The other 10% seemed to be the SI maritime cups. OEM cups seemed to bind a bit less.

Again, the NP3 slide has a little less resistance in the channel liner area than the melonite slide, hopefully it is not the difference between light strikes and not. I am using SI +power striker springs.

The next big improvement comes from the OEM locking block. I think the Nomad lower kit must be junk. I've learned a painful lesson about certain non-OEM parts. The NP3 pistol now seems to unlock and lock fairly easily with dummy rounds. I'm not feeling the grinding I was before, though the extractor still does slightly.

Now the next problem: The 2nd SI extractor is not right. The claw end comes in further than it should and grinds a lot, in fact I almost cannot get the barrel up in there when there is a dummy round in. The first pic below is extractor #1 that seems fine. The 2nd pic is extractor #2 that doesn't seem right. Everything else is 100% identical.

2022-07-16 16.25.32-SI547-extractor-good.jpg

2022-07-16 16.25.49-SI547-extractor-bad.jpg

I have ordered another OEM locking block and an OEM extractor and we will see what difference that makes.

The last issue I have is the Zev mag release that SI sells. It binds so badly in the mag button holes that I cannot use it. My SI NP3 and even the junk plastic Nomad mag release work fine. Not having any luck with Zev parts. I like the shape of the Zev button and there isn't another choice on SI store so I found something similar elsewhere, we will see how that one works.

Lastly, the TAC trigger is quite nice. Distinct wall and break, a little heavier than my WECSOG/Ghost Evo setup but more engagement which probably means safer. I actually kind of like my WECSOG/Ghost Evo trigger, lacking a distinct wall it feels more like a light DA pull. But I will probably upgrade to another TAC eventually for safety and consistency reasons. So trigger issues solved.

Hopefully we are down to the last few issues and I will get it sorted in the next week or two. Then I will have to find time to go to range again and then we will know something. Thanks again for all the help. When this is over I will update my parts list so the next person doesn't make the same mistakes.

Question WTB: A proper locking block and extractor.

I received my OEM locking block and Gen5 extractor but still no resolution.

The G19 OEM locking block fit much tighter than the other two and the block pin does not want to go in. Outside the frame it seems fine, in the frame not. I managed to get it in most of the way but was afraid if I did get it seated it would never come out. It was enough to test the slide and the roughness seemed gone so the 1st Nomad block is garbage. But if I can't get the pin in it doesn't help me.

The G19 Gen5 OEM extractor has the exact same problem as SI extractor #2. Whatever SI extractor I ordered in Dec 2021 is no longer available so I cannot re-order that part.

I don't know where to go from here. I do not want to keep throwing money around hoping to get lucky with the right parts. I am open to suggestions as to where to get a proper G19 Gen4 locking block and pin and SI-547 compatible extractor.