Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Now, back in the day...

At the risk of starting a sentence like my Grandfather would, things really were different then. We are in the Golden Age now. Things probably won't get "better" in terms of defensive sidearms until the laser beam is perfected. An RMR Glock (with a proper slide milling, not a high mount MOS) represents the highest refinement in a sidearm in history, and that is a history in which a Gentleman always carried a sidearm. When I was a young man, well, we didn't have it so good. Take for example my old "Driving Rig". Shoulder holsters so the draw was not hampered by safety belts. Matching Smith and Wesson three inch round butt Model 65s. That is the K-Frame .357 Magnum for you younger members of the audience. (which, by the way, I am glad you are here. No need to re-invent the wheel, so listening to our mistakes is a valuable tool). Why these guns in this rig? Well, remember, back then a CCW was not so common. So lots of guys, good men mind you, elected to obey the law. So the driving rig was a force multiplier for me...basically, anyone with me back then could operate a revolver, even if they were not "gun guys". While most of my friends were "gun guys" being able to hand off a revolver to a passenger meant they were a help, or at the very least, not defenseless if all their skill set allowed was for them to "Stay down and stay put". As for why these guns, well, it was a different time. The K frame three inch gun was the end of the line in terms of evolution in my opinion. It was as good as a wheel gun could get. The longer barrel not only offered a little more velocity over the two in standard snubby, but more importantly it offered an extraction stroke long enough to clear the empty shells from the gun. The round but is very concealable, and VERY comfortable. A round butt four inch gun would have been even better, but they were not in the catalog at the time. Fixed sights were snag free, yet easy to see as the front sight on the three inch guns was wider than the two inch "standard" snubby. This was it, back then as far as I am concerned. Good Lord, I am better protected now with my Suarez International RMR Glock 19. But I still remember the path to that pistol and thought some of you might as well. Sorry for the low quality pic. I will take some better ones later. This was just the one I had.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Back in the day" (as a grandpa I get to use that term, though I prefer "When I was a kid") I cut the frame of a model 13 4" down to round butt dimensions, threw a set of Pachmayrs and an OEM spurless DAO hammer on it and carried it in a pancake holster.

When the 3" "FBI" model 13 came along it was the greatest thing since toilet paper on a roll.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Ha Ha. I like the way you think. You made the carry revolver that Smith and Wesson should have. The J frame is small, and sometimes that is the only answer, but moving up to the K frame gave you not only an extra round but a much more "shootable" platform instead of the tiny grip and tiny sights of the j frame.

A modern take on the concept--not mine:

gp100.jpg

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

I admire the Ruger for its strength. And they respond well to a spring kit and a little "slicking up". I could see how a fella would fall for one of these...I was woo'ed back in the day by an SP 101 that was so early it was marked "125 Grain Bullet" on the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Winchester67 View Post
    I admire the Ruger for its strength. And they respond well to a spring kit and a little "slicking up". I could see how a fella would fall for one of these...I was woo'ed back in the day by an SP 101 that was so early it was marked "125 Grain Bullet" on the barrel.
    The short cylinder pocket rocket!

The 2 3/4" Speed Six came close to the ideal except for the short cylinder rod stroke. Hell built for stout, including a Colt-style hand tensioning the ratchet.

Vale et omnia quae.

Good Lord. My friend, you are officially old. Not that it is a bad thing...in fact, it is your Christian Duty to go forth and explain the Gospel.

Birds of a feather... My model 10 (38 special only). Conceals easily, superbly accurate & the action is beyond "smooth as butter."

Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
    be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
    an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Excellent. The smooth action of the Smith, well, it brought out the best in us. To this day, when we are shooting for score to see who buys lunch, I pull a Smith and Wesson out of the Range Bag...cheating? Of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    When the 3" "FBI" model 13 came along it was the greatest thing since toilet paper on a roll.
    I still keep an eye out for those 3" model 13's when I'm out gun shopping... it was like S&W read my mind and put my wish list all in one place. That was a gunfighter's gun.